Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Is it possible to index substr from right to left? Post 302773145 by littlewenwen on Wednesday 27th of February 2013 11:49:18 AM
Old 02-27-2013
Thank you for reply.

Maybe I did not explain clearly: what I mean "from right to left" is, for example :

Code:
string = "0123456789"

if we want to get "567", we can do by starting from "5", then counting from left to right three digits; we can also do by starting from "7", then counting from right to left three digits.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using substr

What is the more efficient way to do this (awk only and default FS) ? $ echo "jefe@alm"|awk '{pos = index($0, "@");printf ("USER: %s\n",substr ($0,1,pos-1))}' USER: jefe Thx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substr

Hi, My input file is 41;2;xxxx;yyyyy.... 41;2;xxxx;yyyyy.... 41;2;xxxx;yyyyy.... .. .. I need to change the second field value from 2 to 1. i.e., 41;1;xxxx;yyyyy.... 41;1;xxxx;yyyyy.... 41;1;xxxx;yyyyy.... .. .. Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

get substr?

Hi, I have a long string like, aabab|bcbcbcbbc|defgh|paswd123 dedededede|efef|ghijklmn|paswd234 ghghghghgh|ijijii|klllkkk|paswd345 lmlmlmmm|nononononn|opopopopp|paswd456 This string is devided into one space between substrings. This substrings are, aabab|bcbcbcbbc|defgh|paswd123... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: syamkp
6 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

why the inode index of file system starts from 1 unlike array index(0)

why do inode indices starts from 1 unlike array indexes which starts from 0 its a question from "the design of unix operating system" of maurice j bach id be glad if i get to know the answer quickly :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sairamdevotee
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wh inode index starts from 1 unlike array index (0)

brothers why inode index starts from 1 unlike array inex which starts from 0 its a question from the design of unix operating system of maurice j.bach i need to know the answer urgently...someone help please (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sairamdevotee
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

substr

can anybody explain this code? thanks in advance..:) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: janani_kalyan
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort from start index and end index in line

Hi All, I have a file (FileNames.txt) which contains the following data in it. $ cat FileNames.txt MYFILE17XXX208Sep191307.csv MYFILE19XXX208Sep192124.csv MYFILE20XXX208Sep192418.csv MYFILE22XXX208Sep193234.csv MYFILE21XXX208Sep193018.csv MYFILE24XXX208Sep194053.csv... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krish_indus
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk extract certain digits from file with index substr

I would like to extract a digit from $0 starting 2,30 to 3,99 or 2.30 to 3.99 Can somebody fix this? awk --re-interval '{if($0 ~ /{1}{2}/) {print FILENAME, substr($0,index($0,/{1}{2}/) , 4)}}'input abcdefg sdlfkj 3,29 g. lasdfj alsdfjasl 2.86 gr. slkjds sldkd lskdjfsl sdfkj kdjlksj 3,34 g... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use if/else if with substr?

I have a command like this: listdb ID923 -l |gawk '{if (substr($0,37,1)==1 && NR == 3)print "YES" else if (substr ($0,37,1)==0 && NR == 3) print "NO"}' This syntax doesn't work. But I was able to get this to work: listdb ID923 -l |gawk '{if (substr($0,37,1)==1 && NR == 3)print "YES"}' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substr

awk '/^>/{id=$0;next}length>=7 { print id, "\n"$0}' Test.txt Can I use substr to achieve the same task? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
8 Replies
MAILQ(1)						      General Commands Manual							  MAILQ(1)

NAME
mailq - print the mail queue SYNOPSIS
mailq [-Ac] [-q...] [-v] DESCRIPTION
Mailq prints a summary of the mail messages queued for future delivery. The first line printed for each message shows the internal identifier used on this host for the message with a possible status character, the size of the message in bytes, the date and time the message was accepted into the queue, and the envelope sender of the message. The second line shows the error message that caused this message to be retained in the queue; it will not be present if the message is being processed for the first time. The status characters are either * to indicate the job is being processed; X to indicate that the load is too high to process the job; and - to indicate that the job is too young to process. The following lines show message recipients, one per line. Mailq is identical to ``sendmail -bp''. The relevant options are as follows: -Ac Show the mail submission queue specified in /etc/mail/submit.cf instead of the MTA queue specified in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf. -qL Show the "lost" items in the mail queue instead of the normal queue items. -qQ Show the quarantined items in the mail queue instead of the normal queue items. -q[!]I substr Limit processed jobs to those containing substr as a substring of the queue id or not when ! is specified. -q[!]Q substr Limit processed jobs to quarantined jobs containing substr as a substring of the quarantine reason or not when ! is specified. -q[!]R substr Limit processed jobs to those containing substr as a substring of one of the recipients or not when ! is specified. -q[!]S substr Limit processed jobs to those containing substr as a substring of the sender or not when ! is specified. -v Print verbose information. This adds the priority of the message and a single character indicator (``+'' or blank) indicating whether a warning message has been sent on the first line of the message. Additionally, extra lines may be intermixed with the recipients indicating the ``controlling user'' information; this shows who will own any programs that are executed on behalf of this message and the name of the alias this command expanded from, if any. Moreover, status messages for each recipient are printed if available. Several sendmail.cf options influence the behavior of the mailq utility: The number of items printed per queue group is restricted by MaxQueueRunSize if that value is set. The status character * is not printed for some values of QueueSortOrder, e.g., filename, random, modification, and none, unless a -q option is used to limit the processed jobs. The mailq utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
sendmail(8) HISTORY
The mailq command appeared in 4.0BSD. $Date: 2013-11-22 20:51:55 $ MAILQ(1)