Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Is it possible to index substr from right to left? Post 302772792 by littlewenwen on Tuesday 26th of February 2013 10:54:35 PM
Old 02-26-2013
Is it possible to index substr from right to left?

Hello, all

Suppose I have a string "0123456789", if i want to get the substr "56", I know I can use following method:

Code:
$ string="0123456789"
$ echo ${string:5:2}

I am wondering if there is some command like:

Code:
$ echo ${string:6:-2}

which can also get the same output "56"?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using substr

What is the more efficient way to do this (awk only and default FS) ? $ echo "jefe@alm"|awk '{pos = index($0, "@");printf ("USER: %s\n",substr ($0,1,pos-1))}' USER: jefe Thx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substr

Hi, My input file is 41;2;xxxx;yyyyy.... 41;2;xxxx;yyyyy.... 41;2;xxxx;yyyyy.... .. .. I need to change the second field value from 2 to 1. i.e., 41;1;xxxx;yyyyy.... 41;1;xxxx;yyyyy.... 41;1;xxxx;yyyyy.... .. .. Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

get substr?

Hi, I have a long string like, aabab|bcbcbcbbc|defgh|paswd123 dedededede|efef|ghijklmn|paswd234 ghghghghgh|ijijii|klllkkk|paswd345 lmlmlmmm|nononononn|opopopopp|paswd456 This string is devided into one space between substrings. This substrings are, aabab|bcbcbcbbc|defgh|paswd123... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: syamkp
6 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

why the inode index of file system starts from 1 unlike array index(0)

why do inode indices starts from 1 unlike array indexes which starts from 0 its a question from "the design of unix operating system" of maurice j bach id be glad if i get to know the answer quickly :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sairamdevotee
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wh inode index starts from 1 unlike array index (0)

brothers why inode index starts from 1 unlike array inex which starts from 0 its a question from the design of unix operating system of maurice j.bach i need to know the answer urgently...someone help please (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sairamdevotee
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

substr

can anybody explain this code? thanks in advance..:) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: janani_kalyan
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort from start index and end index in line

Hi All, I have a file (FileNames.txt) which contains the following data in it. $ cat FileNames.txt MYFILE17XXX208Sep191307.csv MYFILE19XXX208Sep192124.csv MYFILE20XXX208Sep192418.csv MYFILE22XXX208Sep193234.csv MYFILE21XXX208Sep193018.csv MYFILE24XXX208Sep194053.csv... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krish_indus
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk extract certain digits from file with index substr

I would like to extract a digit from $0 starting 2,30 to 3,99 or 2.30 to 3.99 Can somebody fix this? awk --re-interval '{if($0 ~ /{1}{2}/) {print FILENAME, substr($0,index($0,/{1}{2}/) , 4)}}'input abcdefg sdlfkj 3,29 g. lasdfj alsdfjasl 2.86 gr. slkjds sldkd lskdjfsl sdfkj kdjlksj 3,34 g... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use if/else if with substr?

I have a command like this: listdb ID923 -l |gawk '{if (substr($0,37,1)==1 && NR == 3)print "YES" else if (substr ($0,37,1)==0 && NR == 3) print "NO"}' This syntax doesn't work. But I was able to get this to work: listdb ID923 -l |gawk '{if (substr($0,37,1)==1 && NR == 3)print "YES"}' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substr

awk '/^>/{id=$0;next}length>=7 { print id, "\n"$0}' Test.txt Can I use substr to achieve the same task? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
8 Replies
bytes(3pm)                                               Perl Programmers Reference Guide                                               bytes(3pm)

NAME
bytes - Perl pragma to force byte semantics rather than character semantics NOTICE
This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string), and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case, you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation: perluniintro, perlunitut, perlunifaq and perlunicode. SYNOPSIS
use bytes; ... chr(...); # or bytes::chr ... index(...); # or bytes::index ... length(...); # or bytes::length ... ord(...); # or bytes::ord ... rindex(...); # or bytes::rindex ... substr(...); # or bytes::substr no bytes; DESCRIPTION
The "use bytes" pragma disables character semantics for the rest of the lexical scope in which it appears. "no bytes" can be used to reverse the effect of "use bytes" within the current lexical scope. Perl normally assumes character semantics in the presence of character data (i.e. data that has come from a source that has been marked as being of a particular character encoding). When "use bytes" is in effect, the encoding is temporarily ignored, and each string is treated as a series of bytes. As an example, when Perl sees "$x = chr(400)", it encodes the character in UTF-8 and stores it in $x. Then it is marked as character data, so, for instance, "length $x" returns 1. However, in the scope of the "bytes" pragma, $x is treated as a series of bytes - the bytes that make up the UTF8 encoding - and "length $x" returns 2: $x = chr(400); print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 1" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 400" { use bytes; # or "require bytes; bytes::length()" print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 2" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 198.144" } chr(), ord(), substr(), index() and rindex() behave similarly. For more on the implications and differences between character semantics and byte semantics, see perluniintro and perlunicode. LIMITATIONS
bytes::substr() does not work as an lvalue(). SEE ALSO
perluniintro, perlunicode, utf8 perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 bytes(3pm)