Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grep - Searching for multiple items using one command Post 302772740 by @MeDaveT on Tuesday 26th of February 2013 03:45:39 PM
Old 02-26-2013
Grep - Searching for multiple items using one command

I am performing a regular check on UNIX servers which involves logging onto UNIX servers and using the grep command to check if a GID exists in the /etc/group directory

e.g. grep 12345 /etc/group

I have five to check on each server, is there anyway I can incorporate them into one command and get an output if the group exists.

e.g. The GIDs are 12345 54321 56789 98765 12986

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching mutiple word - Tuning grep command

Hi all, I have a log file which is more than 1GB, i need to take count from the log file for two strings. i am using the below command but it take a long time to excetue, i need to tune this. Please help me cat /logs/gcbs/gcbsTrace.log | grep -i "ViewStatementBusinessLogic" | grep -c -i... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthilkumar_ak
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching using grep command

Hi, i have a file called alert_pindb.log i need to grep and count for all the lines starting with "ORA-" but i need to exclude the line which is having "ORA-00600 " i am using following syntax to count the ORA- nos "grep \"ORA-\" alert_pindb.log | wc -l"; since ORA- may be anything... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash.gr
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

can anyone help with shell script command about searching word with grep command?

i want to search in the current directory all the files that contain one word for example "hello" i want to achieve it with the grep command but not with the grep * (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aintour
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching multiple items

Hi, I'm a complete newbie so bear with me. I have a directory (and sub-dirs) full of .doc, .xls files. What I'm trying to do is do a single search within the files (i.e. within each .doc etc) for occurrences of multiple items e.g. apples, pears, grapes, bananas. Basically I'd provide a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kainfs
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Full text searching for multiple items

I am trying to find a solution to a request here at work. I have been asked to do a full text search of around 300,000 files for multiple content items. The following words need to appear in the file. (april and\or may) and pie and (red and\or white). So a file with the words april... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kondoor
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep command to find multiple strings in multiple lines in a file.

I want to search files (basically .cc files) in /xx folder and subfolders. Those files (*.cc files) must contain #include "header.h" AND x() function. I am writing it another way to make it clear, I wanna list of *.cc files that have 'header.h' & 'x()'. They must have two strings, header.h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritikaSharma
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep multiple strings in multiple files using single command

Hi, I will use below command for grep single string ("osuser" is search string) ex: find . -type f | xarg grep -il osuser but i have one more string "v$session" here i want to grep in which file these two strings are present. any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance. Gagan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep in Perl - Searching through multiple files

I'm attempting to use grep in Perl with very little success. What I would like to do in Perl is get the output of the following grep code: grep -l 'pattern' * This gives me a list of all the files in a directory that contain the pattern that was searched. My attempts to do this in Perl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: WongSifu
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for multiple patters using grep

i have a file as below grepfile.txt ---------------- RNTO command successful No such file or directory Authentication failed if i seach individually for 'RNTO command successful' or 'No such file or directory' using grep -i as below, im gettting result. grep -i 'No such file or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Issue with search and replacing multiple items in multiple files

Im having an issue when trying to replace the first column with a new set of values in multiple files. The results from the following code only replaces the files with the last set of values in val.txt. I want to replace all the files with all the values. for date in {1..31} do for val in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
1 Replies
MEMCP(1)							   libmemcached 							  MEMCP(1)

NAME
memcp - libmemcached Documentation Copies files to a collection of memcached servers SYNOPSIS
memcp [options] [file] [server] DESCRIPTION
memcp copies one or more files into memcached(1) servers. It is similar to the standard UNIX cp(1) command. The key names will be the names of the files, without any directory path. OPTIONS
You can specify servers via the option: --servers or via the environment variable: `MEMCACHED_SERVERS` If you do not specify either these, the final value in the command line list is the name of a server(s). For a full list of operations run the tool with the option: --help HOME
To find out more information please check: http://libmemcached.org/ AUTHOR
Brian Aker, <brian@tangent.org> Mark Atwood, <mark@fallenpegasus.com> SEE ALSO
memcached(1) libmemcached(3) AUTHOR
Brian Aker COPYRIGHT
2011, Brian Aker DataDifferential, http://datadifferential.com/ 1.0.8 May 22, 2012 MEMCP(1)