Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Deleting rows where the value in a specific column match Post 302772065 by evelibertine on Friday 22nd of February 2013 04:08:45 PM
Old 02-22-2013
Deleting rows where the value in a specific column match

Hi,

I have a tab delimited text file where I want to delete all rows that have the same string for column 1. How do I go about doing that? Thanks!

Example Input:
Code:
aa 1
aa 2
aa 3
bb 4
bc 5
bb 6
cd 8

Output:
Code:
bc 5
cd 8

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print rows, having pattern in specific column...

Hello all, :) I have a pattern file some what like this, cd003 cd005 cd007 cd008 and input file like this, abc cd001 cd002 zca bca cd002 cd003 cza cba cd003 cd004 zca bac cd004 cd005 zac cba cd005 cd006 acz acb cd006 cd007 caz cab cd007 ... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: admax
25 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting specific rows in large files having rows greater than 100000

Hi Guys, I need help in modifying a large text file containing more than 1-2 lakh rows of data using unix commands. I am quite new to the unix language the text file contains data in a pipe delimited format sdfsdfs sdfsdfsd START_ROW sdfsd|sdfsdfsd|sdfsdfasdf|sdfsadf|sdfasdf... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish2009
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting of Specific Rows.

Fruit : Price : Quantity apple : 20 : 40 chiku : 40 :30 Hey guys, i have written a code using sed to delete a specific char which is being typed in. But the problem i am having is , how can i expand my coding to actually allow it do delete the whole row. For example,... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregarion
21 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting rows line by line from a specific column using Awk

Dear UNIX community, I would like to to count characters from a specific row and have them displayed line-by-line. I have a file called testAwk2.csv which contain the following data: rabbit penguin goat giraffe emu ostrich I would like to count in the middle row individually... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnayak
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with deleting specific rows from a text file

I know this is a complicated question but I will try to illustrate it with some data. I have a data file that looks like the following: 1341 NA06985 0 0 2 46.6432798439 1341 NA06991 NA06993 NA06985 2 48.8478948517 1341 NA06993 0 0 1 45.8022601455 1340 NA06994 0 0 1 48.780669145 1340... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting specific rows from a text file

How do I go about deleting specific rows from a text file (given row number)? (5 Replies)
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete rows with unique value for specific column

Hi all I have a file which looks like this 1234|1|Jon|some text|some text 1234|2|Jon|some text|some text 3453|5|Jon|some text|some text 6533|2|Kate|some text|some text 4567|3|Chris|some text|some text 4567|4|Maggie|some text|some text 8764|6|Maggie|some text|some text My third column is my... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Deleting all rows where the first column equals the second column

Hi, I have a tab delimited text file where the first two columns equal numbers. I want to delete all rows where the value in the first column equals the second column. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! Input: 1 1 ABC DEF 2 2 IJK LMN 1 2 ZYX OPW Output: 1 2 ZYX OPW (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Single Column into Multiple rows, but with strings to specific tab column

Dear fellows, I need your help. I'm trying to write a script to convert a single column into multiple rows. But it need to recognize the beginning of the string and set it to its specific Column number. Each Line (loop) begins with digit (RANGE). At this moment it's kind of working, but it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AK47
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Overwrite specific column in xml file with the specific column from adjacent line

I have an xml file dumped from rrd file, that I want to "patch" so the xml file doesn't contain any blank hole in the resulting graph of the rrd file. Here is the file. <!-- 2015-10-12 14:00:00 WIB / 1444633200 --> <row><v> 4.0419731265e+07 </v><v> 4.5045912770e+06... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rk4k
2 Replies
RS(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     RS(1)

NAME
rs -- reshape a data array SYNOPSIS
rs [-CcSs [x]] [-GgKkw N] [-EeHhjmnTty] [rows [cols]] DESCRIPTION
rs reads the standard input, interpreting each line as a row of blank-separated entries in an array, transforms the array according to the options, and writes it on the standard output. With no arguments it transforms stream input into a columnar format convenient for terminal viewing. The shape of the input array is deduced from the number of lines and the number of columns on the first line. If that shape is inconvenient, a more useful one might be obtained by skipping some of the input with the -k option. Other options control interpretation of the input col- umns. The shape of the output array is influenced by the rows and cols specifications, which should be positive integers. If only one of them is a positive integer, rs computes a value for the other which will accommodate all of the data. When necessary, missing data are supplied in a manner specified by the options and surplus data are deleted. There are options to control presentation of the output columns, including transposition of the rows and columns. The options are described below. -C [x] Output columns are delimited by the single character x. A missing x is taken to be '^I'. -c [x] Input columns are delimited by the single character x. A missing x is taken to be '^I'. -e Consider each line of input as an array entry. -G N The gutter width (inter-column space) has N percent of the maximum column width added to it. -g N The gutter width (inter-column space), normally 2, is taken to be N. -H Like -h, but also print the length of each line. -h Print the shape of the input array and do nothing else. The shape is just the number of lines and the number of entries on the first line. -j Right adjust entries within columns. -K N Like -k, but print the ignored lines. -k N Ignore the first N lines of input. -m Do not trim excess delimiters from the ends of the output array. -n On lines having fewer entries than the first line, use null entries to pad out the line. Normally, missing entries are taken from the next line of input. -S [x] Like -C, but padded strings of x are delimiters. -s [x] Like -c, but maximal strings of x are delimiters. -T Print the pure transpose of the input, ignoring any rows or cols specification. -t Fill in the rows of the output array using the columns of the input array, that is, transpose the input while honoring any rows and cols specifications. -w N The width of the display, normally 80, is taken to be the positive integer N. -y If there are too few entries to make up the output dimensions, pad the output by recycling the input from the beginning. Nor- mally, the output is padded with blanks. -z Adapt column widths to fit the largest entries appearing in them. With no arguments, rs transposes its input, and assumes one array entry per input line unless the first non-ignored line is longer than the display width. Option letters which take numerical arguments interpret a missing number as zero unless otherwise indicated. EXAMPLES
rs can be used as a filter to convert the stream output of certain programs (e.g., spell(1), du(1), file(1), look(1), nm(1), who(1), and wc(1)) into a convenient ``window'' format, as in who | rs This function has been incorporated into the ls(1) program, though for most programs with similar output rs suffices. To convert stream input into vector output and back again, use rs 1 0 | rs 0 1 A 10 by 10 array of random numbers from 1 to 100 and its transpose can be generated with jot -r 100 | rs 10 10 | tee array | rs -T > tarray In the editor vi(1), a file consisting of a multi-line vector with 9 elements per line can undergo insertions and deletions, and then be neatly reshaped into 9 columns with :1,$!rs 0 9 Finally, to sort a database by the first line of each 4-line field, try rs -eC 0 4 | sort | rs -c 0 1 SEE ALSO
jot(1), pr(1), sort(1), vi(1) BUGS
Handles only two dimensional arrays. The algorithm currently reads the whole file into memory, so files that do not fit in memory will not be reshaped. Fields cannot be defined yet on character positions. Re-ordering of columns is not yet possible. There are too many options. BSD
December 18, 2001 BSD