Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking subset and removing extra letters Post 302771643 by Viernes on Thursday 21st of February 2013 06:42:24 AM
Old 02-21-2013
Checking subset and removing extra letters

In each line of file, I wish to check if word1 is a non-connected subset of any of the other words in the line. If yes, keep only the words that ward1 is a subset of. Else, remove the whole line.
Also, I want to remove the letters that word1 doesn't match with, except for "_+"

Example file:
Code:
abcde  abc_+hde   ab_+ce_+de
higk    h_+al_+gk 
xyz     a_+xyz      axy_+s

Desired output:
Code:
abcde  abc_+de     ab_+c_+de
xyz     xyz

Last edited by vbe; 02-21-2013 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: code tags please for data also...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Letters from Integer String

Hi all, I have a variable, on some machines it is '1024', which is fine, but on others it is '1024Mb' etc. I need this variable to simply be '1024', does anyone know how I could ensure this is always the case? Perhaps a command to remove any letters/characters that aren't integers if there is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hodges
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

checking wether an input is using letters of the alphabet

afternoon forums. I need to get a way of testing as to wether an inputed character is part of the english alphabet. i have come up with the following code but its not working at all. until '] do echo This is not a Letter done any help would be beneficial to me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: strasner
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing extra files in dos

Hi, I have same file by name i want to keep only access file and want to delete rest. This is specific to DOS only. Any idea of doing this. I tried so many options but none worked for me. Thanks Namish (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Removing extra characters in Filename

Hi, It's my first time here... anyways, I have a simple problem with these filenames. This is probably too easy for you guys: ABC_20101.2A.2010_01 ABD_20103.2E.2010_04 ABE_20107.2R.2010_08 Expected Output: ABC_20101 ABD_20103 ABE_20107 The only pattern available are the ff: 1) All... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joule
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing extra new line characters

Hello, I have a text file that looks like: ABC123|some text|some more text|00001 00002 0003 0004 000019|000003|Item I have searched and found an example to remove the extra new line characters using grep and sed, but it (I think) assumes the lines start with a number and the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: c56444
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing Extra Folders From a TAR

I use an extremely simple TAR function for files at work and I have a question about cleaning them up. My command is TAR -cvf ExampleTarName.tar then the folder I wish to TAR. When my TAR finishes and I double click it to check it unarchived beautifully (I don't do this with every file, duh)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dogtown24
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing extra unwanted spaces

hi, i need to remove the extra spaces in the filed. Sample: abc~bd ~bkd123 .. 1space abc~badf ~bakdsf123 .. 2space abc~bqed ~bakuowe .. 3space output: abc~bd ~bkd123 .. 1space abc~badf~bakdsf123 .. 2space abc~bqed~bakuowe .. 3space i used the following command, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshaa
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing extra unwanted spaces

hi, i need to remove the extra spaces in the 2nd field. Sample: abc|bd |bkd123 .. 1space abc|badf |bakdsf123 .. 2space abc|bqe |bakuowe .. 3space Output: abc|bd|bkd123 abc|badf|bakdsf123 abc|bqe|bakuowe i used the following command, (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshaa
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing extra lines from file

I have a file where data looks like this: === <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <xml xmlns:s='uuid:XYZ' xmlns:dt='uuid:ABC' xmlns:rs='urn:schemas-microsoft-com:rowset' xmlns:z='#RowsetSchema'> <s:Schema id='RowsetSchema'> <s:ElementType name='row'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Removing letters after a certain character within a range of columns

Hi there, I am trying to remove al letters after : character on specific columns from 10th column till 827. I used sed and cut to do so but I am sure there is better one liner someone can think of from unix community members. Huge file but it has this structure (Total number of Columns =... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: daashti
10 Replies
kits(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   kits(1)

Name
       kits - generate setld format distribution kits

Syntax
       /usr/sys/dist/kits key-file input-path output-path [ subset...  ]

Description
       The  command  produces  subset images, inventories, and control files for an installation using the command.  You need to know the key file
       which describes the product to be built, a hierarchy from which the component files to be kitted are to be taken, and a destination  direc-
       tory into which the kit information is to be placed.

The command produces a subset image and a .image file in the output-path directory for each subset. In the instctrl subdirectory of output-
       path, produces an inventory file and a control file. Any subset control program for the subset is transferred to output-path/instctrl.	An
       instctrl directory is created if none existed.

Arguments
       key-file       The  path  name of the manufacturing key file which describes the product to be kitted. Unless optional subset arguments are
		      specified, all subsets listed in the descriptor section of the key-file are kitted.

input-path     The path name which specifies the top of a hierarchy of files. This hierarchy contains the files which are to be kitted into
		      subsets.

output-path    The name of the directory to be used to store the subset image and data files produced by the command.

subset...      The names of individual subsets can be specified by optionally listing them on the command line. If they are specified, only
		      those subsets will be kitted. The program assumes that all other subsets for the product have been  kitted  and  that  their
		      images  are  in  the  directory  specified  by output-path.  The key file specified must contain descriptors for each of the
		      optional named subsets.

Restrictions
       Any subset control programs to be provided with the kit must be located in a directory scps in the working directory where the  program	is
       invoked. If no subset control program is found for a subset, an empty one is created.

Examples
       The  following  example	shows the command used to produce a kit using key file ULT400.k in the current directory to package files from the
       hierarchy /var/kits/input and place the results in /var/kits/output.
	   kits ULT400.k /var/kits/input /var/kits/output
       The next example shows the same usage, but specifies that only the ULTACCT400 subset is to be created.
	   kits ULT400.k /var/kits/input /var/kits/output ULTACCT400

Diagnostics
       kits: key-file not found
       The program was unable to find the key-file specified on the command line.

kits: input-path not found
       The program was unable to find the specified input-path.

kits: output-path not found
       The program was unable to find the  specified output-path.

kits: cannot create instctrl directory.
       The program cannot create an instctrl directory under output-path.  Check that the user has write permission to output-path.

kits: key-file format error
       One of the NAME, CODE, VERS, MI or ROOT values in the specified key-file is either missing or has a null value.

Inventory file pathname not found
       The master inventory file pathname specified in the MI entry of the key-file cannot be found. Verify that the pathname is  accessible  from
       the current directory.

Generating media creation information...failed.
       There  are  no records in the master inventory file for a subset which is being kitted.	Check the master inventory file for correctness of
       content and format.

No such subset in key-file subset subset
       A subset name specified on the command line does not have a descriptor line in the key-file.  Check the spelling of the subset name on  the
       command line.  Check the contents of the key-file.

compression failed. status = status
       The  compression  option  was specified in the key-file and an attempt to compress a subset failed. This should not happen. Run the program
       once more.

Files
       temporary files.

log of subset packaging activity

See Also
       invcutter(1), tarsets(1), stl_comp(5), stl_ctrl(5), stl_image(5), stl_key(5), stl_mi(5), stl_scp(5), setld(8)
       Guide to Preparing Software for Distribution on ULTRIX Systems

kits(1)