Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ignoring lines and create new file Post 302771418 by callmatkarna on Wednesday 20th of February 2013 03:02:34 PM
Old 02-20-2013
Ignoring lines and create new file

Hello,
I have a requirement to ignore few lines in a file before keyword FILEHEADER . As soon as there is keyword FILEHEADER is identified in file , it will form another file with data from FILEHEADER to whatever in file after FILEHEADER.
I wrote
Code:
filename=$1
awk '/FILEHEADER/{a=$1;sub(".*FILEHEADER","",a);b=$2}/FILEHEADER/{print > a"_Src_"b".txt"}' $filename

but this is not working . Also its a fixed width file
Data format example
Code:
FILEHEADERTESTA     212012234234
test1
test2

File to be formed with name like TESTA_Src_21.txt

Last edited by joeyg; 02-20-2013 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: Please wrap commands and data with CodeTags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count lines - ignoring blank lines and commented lines

What is the command to count lines in a files, but ignore blank lines and commented lines? I have a file with 4 sections in it, and I want each section to be counted, not including the blank lines and comments... and then totalled at the end. Here is an example of what I would like my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthatch
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignoring several lines at once in cshell

Hi We use # sign to ignore any line (i.e. comment ). But is it possible to ignore group of line at once or i have to use # in front of each line. Thanks Sarbjit (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleteing duplicate lines sing uniq while ignoring a column

I have a data set that has 4 columns, I want to know if I can delete duplicate lines while ignoring one of the columns, for example 10 chr1 ASF 30 15 chr1 ASF 20 5 chr1 ASF 30 6 chr2 EBC 15 4 chr2 EBC 30 ... I want to know if I can delete duplicate lines while ignoring column 1, so the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: japaneseguitars
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ignoring lines in a file

HI, command to cat a readable file by ignoring the first line and last line or command to cat a readable file by ignoring the lines with delimiter Please advise on this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a column with a value by ignoring the header lines

i have a file in the gz format , the content of the file is as follow. gzcat f1.gz # 1.name # 2.location # 3.age # 4.dob . . . . . . . . . # 43.hobbies < Aravind,33,chennai,09091980, , , , , , , surfing> (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindj80
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count duplicate lines ignoring certain columns

I have this structure: col1 col2 col3 col4 col5 27 xxx 38 aaa ttt 2 xxx 38 aaa yyy 1 xxx 38 aaa yyy I need to collapse duplicate lines ignoring column 1 and add values of duplicate lines (col1) so it will look like this: col1 col2 col3 col4 col5 27 xxx 38 aaa ttt ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coppuca
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a new file from another file with lines begins with a specific string

Hi, I have a file with below format myfile.txt aa aa1 aa2 qq aa4 ghs aa6 bbc gdf I m looking to create a file where lines begins with aa. myfile1.txt aa aa1 aa2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Litu1988
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare 2 files and create a result file with unmatched lines from first file.?

HI, I have 2 text files. file1 and file2. file1.txt (There are no duplicates in this file) 1234 3232 4343 3435 6564 6767 1213 file2.txt 1234,wq,wewe,qwqw 1234,as,dfdf,dfdf 4343,asas,sdds,dsds 6767,asas,fdfd,fdffd I need to search each number in file1.txt in file2.txt's 1st... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate lines after ignoring case and spaces between

Oracle Linux 6.5 $ cat someStrings.txt GRANT select on MANHPRD.S_PROD_INT TO OR_PHIL; GRANT select on MANHPRD.S_PROD_INT TO OR_PHIL; GRANT select on SCOTT.emp to JOHN; grant select on scott.emp to john; grant select on scott.dept to hr;If you ignore the case and the empty space between the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Lines from One file.. and create another.. and

Hello Members, I have one file which contains million of supplier code. I need to load these codes into database 1000 at a time. Database procedure reads from an external table which is based on the unix files. All I want to do is to read from the bigger file e.g. MAIN_FILE.txt and create... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chetanojha
1 Replies
PTX(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PTX(1)

NAME
ptx - permuted index SYNOPSIS
ptx [ option ] ... [ input [ output ] ] DESCRIPTION
Ptx generates a permuted index to file input on file output (standard input and output default). It has three phases: the first does the permutation, generating one line for each keyword in an input line. The keyword is rotated to the front. The permuted file is then sorted. Finally, the sorted lines are rotated so the keyword comes at the middle of the page. Ptx produces output in the form: .xx "tail" "before keyword" "keyword and after" "head" where .xx may be an nroff or troff(1) macro for user-defined formatting. The before keyword and keyword and after fields incorporate as much of the line as will fit around the keyword when it is printed at the middle of the page. Tail and head, at least one of which is an empty string "", are wrapped-around pieces small enough to fit in the unused space at the opposite end of the line. When original text must be discarded, `/' marks the spot. The following options can be applied: -f Fold upper and lower case letters for sorting. -t Prepare the output for the phototypesetter; the default line length is 100 characters. -w n Use the next argument, n, as the width of the output line. The default line length is 72 characters. -g n Use the next argument, n, as the number of characters to allow for each gap among the four parts of the line as finally printed. The default gap is 3 characters. -o only Use as keywords only the words given in the only file. -i ignore Do not use as keywords any words given in the ignore file. If the -i and -o options are missing, use /usr/lib/eign as the ignore file. -b break Use the characters in the break file to separate words. In any case, tab, newline, and space characters are always used as break characters. -r Take any leading nonblank characters of each input line to be a reference identifier (as to a page or chapter) separate from the text of the line. Attach that identifier as a 5th field on each output line. The index for this manual was generated using ptx. FILES
/bin/sort /usr/lib/eign BUGS
Line length counts do not account for overstriking or proportional spacing. PTX(1)