Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Trim String
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trim String Post 302771013 by mohtashims on Tuesday 19th of February 2013 09:52:40 AM
Old 02-19-2013
Trim String

Hi,

I wish to grep everything before the last "/bin" in the following string

Code:
/opt/app/bin/app1/jdk150_07/bin/IA64N/java

Desired output: "/opt/app/bin/app1/jdk150_07"

Kindly help ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim whitespace?

I'm trying to find a command that will trim the white space off a string. e.g. $str = " stuf " $str = trim ( $str ) echo $str // ouput would just be stuf Thanks, Mark (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: msteudel
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reversing and trim a String through SHELL script

All I want to reverse and trim a string using UNIX shell scripts.Iam using Bourne shells. Can you help me? Thanx in advance Regards Deepak (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeepakXavier
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trim leading zero in certain column in a string

I would like to know how to trim leading zero only in certain column of of a string, example: hdhshdhdhd000012mmmm0002abc <===== before hdhshdhdhd 12mmmm 2abc <===== after Thanks for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dngo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim

Hello, I am passing a filename to a script to draw parameters from it. However, I want to use part of the filename as a parameter. The filename is transfer_ccf_3731_10.sh but I only need the 3731_10 part of it. Is this possible? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! Regards, J. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JWilliams
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trim String in 3rd Column in Tab Delimited File...SED/PERL/AWK?

Hey Everybody, I am having much trouble figuring this out, as I am not really a programmer..:mad: Datafile.txt Column0 Column1 Column2 ABC DEF xxxGHI I am running using WGET on a cronjob to grab a datafile, but I need to cut the first three characters from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rickdini
6 Replies

6. Programming

How to trim the white space around a string in C program

I am coding a C program to read a plain text file. There are a lot of blank fields or a string with white spaces. I want to know is there such a function called trim() in C to clean the white space around a string? Or some other way can do this efficiently? Thanks. (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: hxm1303
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To trim Certain field in a line of a file and replace the new string in that position

To trim 3rd field in for all the lines of a file and replace the modified string in that particular field. For example i have a file called Temp.txt having content Temp.txt ----------------- 100,234,M1234 400,234,K1734 300,345,T3456 ---------------- So the modified file output should... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpadhi
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to trim a string in unix shell script

I am reading a string like $/folder1/folder2/filename from a file And I am storing it in a variable say $path. I want to store the path within single quotes in order to use the path within a command. if i set like path="'"$path"'" echo $path It is printing like ' $/folder1/folder2/filename'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shri123
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

TRIM a string in shell script

HI, I have a string "NZ-deploy-mode-1.15-Linux.x86_64.rpm" I want to get the string before -1 ie "NZ-deploy-mode" Input is "NZ-deploy-mode-1.15-Linux.x86_64.rpm" expected output is "NZ-deploy-mode" How can I do that in shell script? Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ananthdoss
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim the data

i am passing below inputfils using while loop and ouput should be trim as below INPUT: src_SPS_d_Comment_Tran_File_20130417_001.dat src_SPS_d_Corp_Adv_Tran_File_20130417_001.dat src_SPS_d_Letter_Tran_File_20130417_001.dat src_SPS_d_Loan_Level_File_20130417_001.dat... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: katakamvivek
8 Replies
PLBIN(3plplot)							    PLplot API							    PLBIN(3plplot)

NAME
plbin - Plot a histogram from binned data SYNOPSIS
plbin(nbin, x, y, opt) DESCRIPTION
Plots a histogram consisting of nbin bins. The value associated with the i'th bin is placed in x[i], and the number of points in the bin is placed in y[i]. For proper operation, the values in x[i] must form a strictly increasing sequence. By default, x[i] is the left-hand edge of the i'th bin. If opt=PL_BIN_CENTRED is used, the bin boundaries are placed midway between the values in the x array. Also see plhist(3plplot) for drawing histograms from unbinned data. Redacted form: General: plbin(x, y, opt) Perl/PDL: plbin(nbin, x, y, opt) Python: plbin(nbin, x, y, opt) This function is not used in any examples. ARGUMENTS
nbin (PLINT, input) Number of bins (i.e., number of values in x and y arrays.) x (PLFLT *, input) Pointer to array containing values associated with bins. These must form a strictly increasing sequence. y (PLFLT *, input) Pointer to array containing number of points in bin. This is a PLFLT (instead of PLINT) array so as to allow histograms of proba- bilities, etc. opt (PLINT, input) Is a combination of several flags: opt=PL_BIN_DEFAULT: The x represent the lower bin boundaries, the outer bins are expanded to fill up the entire x-axis and bins of zero height are simply drawn. opt=PL_BIN_CENTRED|...: The bin boundaries are to be midway between the x values. If the values in x are equally spaced, the values are the center values of the bins. opt=PL_BIN_NOEXPAND|...: The outer bins are drawn with equal size as the ones inside. opt=PL_BIN_NOEMPTY|...: Bins with zero height are not drawn (there is a gap for such bins). AUTHORS
Geoffrey Furnish and Maurice LeBrun wrote and maintain PLplot. This man page was automatically generated from the DocBook source of the PLplot documentation, maintained by Alan W. Irwin and Rafael Laboissiere. SEE ALSO
PLplot documentation at http://plplot.sourceforge.net/resources. August, 2012 PLBIN(3plplot)