Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Passwd getting locked
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Passwd getting locked Post 302770890 by sam_bd on Tuesday 19th of February 2013 12:34:46 AM
Old 02-19-2013
Passwd getting locked

Hi, there is a password lock problem happening everyday at one of the servers(GNU RH-Linux;kernel release version 2.6.18-308.20.1.el5) for a particular user id which is an appln user id. Everyday it needs to be reset by the owner/unix user mgmt team. My suspicion was if any cronjob was running using old passwd then the user id/passwd would get locked after 3 unsuccessful attempts. But unable to find any. Don't know how to go further.
Request help and advice in this regard.

Last edited by sam_bd; 02-19-2013 at 04:27 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OpenWin Locked up

I have a server that is on solaris 9 and openwin is locked. The mouse won't respond and I can't seem to kill the openwin pid on the server.. Is there a command line to kill openwin from the server side? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jphorton
2 Replies

2. AIX

locked a password

good morning just a confirmation, to lock a password for a user, we must to write 0 for password min age and password max age option ? thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

locked out!

:confused: I have an K580 HP server. All I did was change the IP address on the NIC and now I can't telnet into it. I can ping, but no telnet. Also, it won't boot if the console monitor is plugged in. ANY IDEAS??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ncmurf00
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 8 passwd locked out − permission denied

Hi Gurus, i have ussers cannot change their passwords, neither can root change the user's password. O.S. Solaris 8 up−to−date on security patchaes as far as I know. Examples (names have been changed to protect the guilty): User logged on: $ passwd passwd: Changing password for <user>... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: raziayub
8 Replies

5. Programming

Port is locked

Hi, I am working with sun solaris sparc 5.9 and I want to use the serial port in my application..when I am trying to use it.it is throwing the message-- So how can I check the serial port is locked or not and how can I unlock the port?? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Who locked my id?

I am running Solaris 10. Occasionally, my id gets loked. I want to know who/which rougue process locked it. How do I find out? Thanks, KNK (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkamatam
9 Replies

7. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

8. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Particular user account shouldn't be locked after entering wrong passwd specfic no. times

Hi all In my system we have implemented user lockout feature after 3 failure attempt if he tries to login directly or if he run the any command through sudo and enter wrong password thrice. Now I have requirement in which particular user account shouldn't be locked when he run the command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sb200
1 Replies
CipUX::Passwd(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					CipUX::Passwd(3pm)

NAME
CipUX::Passwd - XML-RPC client to change own password VERSION
This document describes CipUX::Passwd version 3.4.0.3 SYNOPSIS
use warnings; use strict; use CipUX::Passwd; use version; our $VERSION = qv('3.4.0.0'); my $cipux = CipUX::Passwd->new( { name=>'cipuxpasswd' } ); $cipux->run(); exit 0; DESCRIPTION
Implements a XML-RPC client to change once own password using the CipUX XML-RPC server. SUBROUTINES
/METHODS BUILD Constructor. DEMOLISH Destructor. run Main subroutine. DIAGNOSTICS
"First input is not given! Please try again" "Second input is not given! Please try again" "The two inputs are not identical! Please try again" CONFIGURATION AND ENVIRONMENT
CipUX::Passwd requires no configuration files or environment variables. However if there is a configuration file it will be used. DEPENDENCIES
CipUX CipUX::RPC::Client Class::Std English Readonly version INCOMPATIBILITIES
None reported. BUGS AND LIMITATIONS
No bugs have been reported. SEE ALSO
See the CipUX webpage and the manual at <http://www.cipux.org> See the mailing list http://sympa.cipworx.org/wws/info/cipux-devel <http://sympa.cipworx.org/wws/info/cipux-devel> AUTHOR
Christian Kuelker christian.kuelker@cipworx.org LICENSE AND COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009, Christian Kuelker. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY
BECAUSE THIS SOFTWARE IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE SOFTWARE, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE SOFTWARE "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE SOFTWARE IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE SOFTWARE PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR, OR CORRECTION. IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY MODIFY AND/OR REDISTRIBUTE THE SOFTWARE AS PERMITTED BY THE ABOVE LICENSE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE SOFTWARE TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER SOFTWARE), EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. perl v5.12.3 2011-05-05 CipUX::Passwd(3pm)