Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed 2 hours in log
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed 2 hours in log Post 302770717 by amazigh42 on Monday 18th of February 2013 05:21:31 AM
Old 02-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubler_XL
This should correct the "[" and "]" chars around the data and time line.

Code:
file=$1
if [ -f $file.gz ]
     then command="gunzip -c"
     else command=cat
fi
$command $file | awk -F"[/ \\\][]" -vS="24/01/2013 10:12" -vE="24/01/2013 10:28" '
function dcmp(b) {
  if($4>b[3])return  1;
  if($4<b[3])return -1;
  if($3>b[2])return  1;
  if($3<b[2])return -1;
  if($2>b[1])return  1;
  if($2<b[1])return -1;
  if($5>b[4])return  1;
  if($5<b[4])return -1;
  return 0;
}
BEGIN{split(S, ds, "[/ ]"); split(E, de, "[/ ]") }
/^[[][0-9][0-9]\/[0-1][0-9]\/[[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9] / {
   if(s&&dcmp(de)>=0) {print; exit}
   if(!s&&dcmp(ds)<=0) {f=x;w=1}
   if(!s&&dcmp(ds)>=0) {printf "%s",f; f=x; s=1 }
}
!w&&!s {f=f $0 "\n"}
s'

Can you explain your start+stop times criteria some more:

hours (10:12 and 10:28) Why does this start printing and 10:10, isn't that before the start time?

hours (09:05 and 10:15) why does it stop at 09:10?
Sorry for my written english.
Thank you to everyone who helped me out of trouble Smilie

I picked any random hours
In the logs there is the stamp time of webservices, i can see the behavior or errors of webservices. Just put the approximate times in order to have a portion of the log. This could also handle errors when the script does not find the right hour.
Can you exactly explain the red tag above [/ \\\][]
I wish I had a hundredth of your knowledge.

Last edited by amazigh42; 02-18-2013 at 03:31 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

move log files over 12 hours old...

Hi, I know I can use touch and find's "! -newer" option to list files that are older than a specific time, but what is a good way to get a list of files that are over 12 hours old? The log pruner will run throughout the day, twice an hour. So I can't easily use a cronjob touch command to generate... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Thomas Pluck
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Last 24 hours of a log file

I'm looking to pull the last 24 hours of a log file. Here's what I've got so far: yesterday=$(TZ=$TZ+24 date +"%b %e %H:%M") today=$(date +"%b %e %H:%M") echo $yesterday $today grep -E "^$yesterday|^$today" /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log But that pulls everything from $yesterday from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bert
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to list files between last 6 hours to 3 hours

Hi Frens, I want to list some files from a directory, which contains "DONE" in their name, i am receiving files every minute. In this i want to list all the files which are newer than 6 hours but older than 3 hours, of current time i dont want my list to contain the latest files which are ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prat007
4 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

How Many hours on Computer?

How many hours you spend on Computer in a day??? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcomex999
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

CurrentTime-4 hours

Hi, Good Afternoon! I am writing this script on "sh" and have Variables as below. #Time in hours ex: 09 JobTime=`echo $StartTime |awk '{print $2}'|cut -f1 -d':'` SystemHours=`date +%H` How can go 4 hours back for each variable in a day? Another Question? JobStat=`dsjob -report... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajubollas
5 Replies

6. AIX

cron off by 5 hours

stupid question im sure, but its frustrating My cron jobs are off by 5 hours. My system time is right but all of my cron jobs are running approximately 5 hours late. Any idea why? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mshilling
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ps -ef |grep 24 hours

I need to grep PIDs older than 24 hours (1 day) or more. ps -ef |grep ??? Please advise. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help looking for missing hours.

I have a file that should cover a days worth of stats, at the beginning of each 15 minute report I have a unique header that looks like the below example. The "0000" and "0015" will change in the header line to show which 15 Minute interval the report is covering and of course from day to day the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fsanchez
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log search and mail it if the log is updated before 24 hours from the current time

Hi , We have around 22 logs , each has different entries. I have to automate this using shell script. The ideas which am sharing is given below 1) We use only TAIL -100 <location and name of the log> Command to check the logs. 2) We want to check whether the log was updated before 24... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalaihari
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing log file for last 2 hours

I want to parse a log file which i am grepping root user connection but is showing whole day and previous day detail as well. First i want to see last 2 hours log file then after that i want to search particular string. Lets suppose right now its 5:00PM, So i want to see the log of 3:00PM to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
6 Replies
egrep(1)																  egrep(1)

NAME
egrep - search a file for a pattern using full regular expressions SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/egrep [-bchilnsv] [-e pattern_list] [-f file] [strings] [file...] /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep [-bchilnsvx] [-e pattern_list] [-f file] [strings] [file...] The egrep (expression grep) utility searches files for a pattern of characters and prints all lines that contain that pattern. egrep uses full regular expressions (expressions that have string values that use the full set of alphanumeric and special characters) to match the patterns. It uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space. If no files are specified, egrep assumes standard input. Normally, each line found is copied to the standard output. The file name is printed before each line found if there is more than one input file. /usr/bin/egrep The /usr/bin/egrep utility accepts full regular expressions as described on the regexp(5) manual page, except for ( and ), ( and ), { and }, < and >, and , and with the addition of: 1. A full regular expression followed by + that matches one or more occurrences of the full regular expression. 2. A full regular expression followed by ? that matches 0 or 1 occurrences of the full regular expression. 3. Full regular expressions separated by | or by a NEWLINE that match strings that are matched by any of the expressions. 4. A full regular expression that can be enclosed in parentheses ()for grouping. Be careful using the characters $, *, [, ^, |, (, ), and in full regular expression, because they are also meaningful to the shell. It is safest to enclose the entire full regular expression in single quotes '... '. The order of precedence of operators is [], then *?+, then concatenation, then | and NEWLINE. /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep The /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep utility uses the regular expressions described in the EXTENDED REGULAR EXPRESSIONS section of the regex(5) manual page. The following options are supported for both /usr/bin/egrep and /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep: -b Precede each line by the block number on which it was found. This can be useful in locating block numbers by context (first block is 0). -c Print only a count of the lines that contain the pattern. -e pattern_list Search for a pattern_list (full regular expression that begins with a -). -f file Take the list of full regular expressions from file. -h Suppress printing of filenames when searching multiple files. -i Ignore upper/lower case distinction during comparisons. -l Print the names of files with matching lines once, separated by NEWLINEs. Does not repeat the names of files when the pat- tern is found more than once. -n Precede each line by its line number in the file (first line is 1). -s Work silently, that is, display nothing except error messages. This is useful for checking the error status. -v Print all lines except those that contain the pattern. /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep The following option is supported for /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep only: -x Consider only input lines that use all characters in the line to match an entire fixed string or regular expression to be matching lines. The following operands are supported: file A path name of a file to be searched for the patterns. If no file operands are specified, the standard input is used. /usr/bin/egrep pattern Specify a pattern to be used during the search for input. /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep pattern Specify one or more patterns to be used during the search for input. This operand is treated as if it were specified as -epattern_list. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of egrep when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of egrep: LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. The following exit values are returned: 0 If any matches are found. 1 If no matches are found. 2 For syntax errors or inaccessible files (even if matches were found). See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/egrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Not Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ fgrep(1), grep(1), sed(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), regex(5), regexp(5), XPG4(5) Ideally there should be only one grep command, but there is not a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. Lines are limited only by the size of the available virtual memory. /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep The /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep utility is identical to /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -E (see grep(1)). Portable applications should use /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -E. 23 May 2005 egrep(1)