Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check for a file and touch if not exist Post 302770236 by elixir_sinari on Friday 15th of February 2013 12:48:24 AM
Old 02-15-2013
Just
Code:
touch filename

If filename exists, only its modification and access times will be changed. Data will remain the same.
If filename does not exist, a zero-byte file will be created with the current time as the access and modification time.

And if you don't want to modify the access and modification times when the file (a regular file) exists, try:
Code:
[[ -f filename ]] || touch filename

Last edited by elixir_sinari; 02-15-2013 at 02:10 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to check if the file exist or not?

say i would like to check if the file is existed before i use rm command. How can i do it? i know if i can use find, but i would like to have a good interface (in a shell script) thks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusla
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check if directory/file exist using c/c++

Hi there,, how to check if directory/file exist using c/c++ under unix/linux? I can use access() under Window MFC. Thanks. Steven (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: steven88
1 Replies

3. Programming

how to check if directory/file exist using c/c++

Hi there, how to check if directory/file exist using c/c++ under linux/unix. Thanks. Steven (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steven88
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check Word if exist on file or not

Hello, I want to check if some word exist or not on some file By Example : word is : nixcraft file called : /root/shell.txt and i want to check if nixcraft word exist on /root/shell.txt file with if statement or another tool Any Ideas (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxCommandos
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if file exist

Hi Does anybody know how I can check if a file exists i.e. see bellow, this doesn't work by the way and if tried countless variations on this file1=$one/file111.txt if then echo "Present" else echo "Not present" fi result : Not present (file is already present, eventhough its... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gksenthilkumar
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file exist issue

I have created two scripts, one with hardcoded and another one with extract from file instead of hardcoded, script:1 -------- #!/bin/ksh filename="$one/file1.dat" if then echo "$filename has arrived." >> $logfile else echo "$filename has NOT yet arrived." >> $logfile fi :> Result:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gksenthilkumar
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if file exist

Hi, I am trying to create a bash script which will check if file exist then remove that file else do nothing. I have to do same process for three files in same script. I have written code for one file and trying to run it. if then rm -r /user1/abc/File1 fi When I run this code it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: palak08
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if file exist

Hi, I created following script to check if file exist: #!/bin/bash SrcDir=$1 SrcFileName=$2 SrcTimePeriod=$3 if ;then echo 1 else echo 0 fi I ran it like: /apps/Scripts/FileExist.sh /apps/Inbox file1 2nd_period_2010 Even file exist at that location, my above command is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: palak08
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check file exist in a directory or not

HI folks, can any one tell me how to check whether the file is existed in a directory or not . let me tell you my requirement : if the file is existed i should display a one message or else i have to send a mail .. i have the mail logic .. but I'm failed to check file existence .. please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravan008
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to check files if exist else touch the file

Hi All, Thanks in Advance I wrote the following code if then echo "version is 1.1" for i in "subscriber promplan mapping dedicatedaccount faflistSub faflistAcc accumulator pam_account" do FILE="SDP_DUMP_$i.csv" echo "$FILE" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aealexanderraj
5 Replies
touch(1)							   User Commands							  touch(1)

NAME
touch, settime - change file access and modification times SYNOPSIS
touch [-acm] [-r ref_file | -t time] file... touch [-acm] [date_time] file... settime [-f ref_file] [date_time] file... DESCRIPTION
The touch utility sets the access and modification times of each file. The file operand is created if it does not already exist. The time used can be specified by -t time, by the corresponding time fields of the file referenced by -r ref_file, or by the date_time op- erand. If none of these are specified, touch uses the current time (the value returned by the time(2) function). If neither the -a nor -m options are specified, touch updates both the modification and access times. A user with write access to a file, but who is not the owner of the file or a super-user, can change the modification and access times of that file only to the current time. Attempts to set a specific time with touch will result in an error. The settime utility is equivalent to touch -c [date_time] file. OPTIONS
The following options are supported in the touch and settime utilities: touch The following options are supported for the touch utility: -a Changes the access time of file. Does not change the modification time unless -m is also specified. -c Does not create a specified file if it does not exist. Does not write any diagnostic messages concerning this condition. -m Changes the modification time of file. Does not change the access time unless -a is also specified. -r ref_file Uses the corresponding times of the file named by ref_file instead of the current time. -t time Uses the specified time instead of the current time. time will be a decimal number of the form: [[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.SS] where each two digits represent the following: MM The month of the year [01-12]. DD The day of the month [01-31]. hh The hour of the day [00-23]. mm The minute of the hour [00-59]. CC The first two digits of the year. YY The second two digits of the year. SS The second of the minute [00-61]. Both CC and YY are optional. If neither is given, the current year will be assumed. If YY is specified, but CC is not, CC will be derived as follows: +-----------------------------------------------------------+ |If YY is: CC becomes: | | 69-99 19 | | 00-38 20 | | 39-68 ERROR | +-----------------------------------------------------------+ The resulting time will be affected by the value of the TZ environment variable. If the resulting time value precedes the Epoch, touch will exit immediately with an error status. The range of valid times is the Epoch to January 18, 2038. The range for SS is [00-61] rather than [00-59] because of leap seconds. If SS is 60 or 61, and the resulting time, as affected by the TZ environment variable, does not refer to a leap second, the resulting time will be one or two seconds after a time where SS is 59. If SS is not given, it is assumed to be 0. settime The following option is supported for the settime utility: -f ref_file Uses the corresponding times of the file named by ref_file instead of the current time. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported for the touch and settime utilities: file A path name of a file whose times are to be modified. date_time Uses the specified date_time instead of the current time. This operand is a decimal number of the form: MMDDhhmm[YY] where each two digits represent the following: MM The month of the year [01-12]. DD The day of the month [01-31]. hh The hour of the day [00-23]. mm The minute of the hour [00-59]. YY The second two digits of the year. YY is optional. If it is omitted, the current year will be assumed. If YY is specified, the year will be derived as follows: +-----------------------------------------------------------+ |YY Corresponding Year | | 69-99 1969-1999 | | 00-38 2000-2038 | | 39-68 ERROR | +-----------------------------------------------------------+ If no -r option is specified, no -t option is specified, at least two operands are specified, and the first operand is an eight- or ten-digit decimal integer, the first operand will be assumed to be a date_time operand. Otherwise, the first op- erand will be assumed to be a file operand. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of touch when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of touch: LANG, LC_ALL, LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. TZ Determine the timezone to be used for interpreting the time option-argument or the date_time operand. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 The touch utility executed successfully and all requested changes were made. >0 An error occurred. The touch utility returned the number of files for which the times could not be successfully modified. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
time(2), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) NOTES
Users familiar with the BSD environment will find that for the touch utility, the -f option is accepted but ignored. The -f option is unnecessary because touch will succeed for all files owned by the user regardless of the permissions on the files. SunOS 5.10 22 Jun 2001 touch(1)