Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search field in text file and replace value Post 302769918 by Chubler_XL on Thursday 14th of February 2013 12:46:28 AM
Old 02-14-2013
You could try this for the write_pdb():

Code:
function write_pdb() {
    echo $line | awk -vF=$id -vT=$newid '
        substr($0,23,4)+0==F{$0=substr($0,1,22) sprintf("%4d",T) substr($0,27)}1' >> $1
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

automating file search and replace text

Hi, I am trying something like this: Let's say I have a file called File1 with contents: x=-0.3 y=2.1 z=9.0 I have another file, File2, with contents: xx= yy= zz= (nothing after "="). What I want to do is get the value of x in File1 and set it to xx in File2, i.e., xx=-0.3. And the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ommatidia
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search and replace text in same file

script is as below v_process_run=5 typeset -i p_cnt=0 pdata=/home/proc_data.log while do # execute script in background dummy_test.sh "a1" "a2" & p_cnt=$p_cnt+1 echo "data : $p_cnt : Y" >> $pdata done file created with following data in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vrgurav
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search and replace a specific text in text file?

I have a text file with following content (3 lines) filename : output.txt first line:12/12/2008 second line:12/12/2008 third line:Y I would like to know how we can replace 'Y' with 'N' in the 3rd line keeping 1st and 2nd lines same as what it was before. I tried using cat output.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosham
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace a text in a file

Hi all, I have a requirement where i have to search data between strings 'SELECT' and ';' and replace this text as "SELECT.....;" so that i can export this extracted string into a excel cell. Please suggest on this. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: goutam_igate
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

text file search and replace with awk

hello all greeting for the day i have a text file as the following text.xml abcd<FIELD>123.456</FIELD>efgh i need to replace the value between <FIELD> and </FIELD> by using awk command. please throw some light on this. thank you very very much Erik (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: erikshek
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace 3rd field of space delimited text file

how to replace the 3rd colum? Each line begins similarly, but they all ends variously. XX YY 03 variable text here XX YY 03 more variable text here XX YY 03 even more variable text here really long setence XX YY 03 variable numbers also appear 03 11. 123 456 XX YY 03 the occasional comma,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search replace strings between single quotes in a text file

Hi There... I need to serach and replace a strings in a text file. My file has; books.amazon='Let me read' and the output needed is books.amazon=NONFOUND pls if anybody know this can be done in script sed or awk.. i have a list of different strings to be repced by NONFOUND.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiano
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Search text string in field, not all in field.

Hello, I am using awk to match text in a tab separated field and am able to do so when matching the exact word. My problem is that I would like to match any sequence of text in the tab-separated field without having to match it all. Any help will be appreciated. Please see the code below. awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocket_dog
3 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Search and replace in text file

Hi, I have gigabytes of text files that I need to search for "&" and replace with "&amp". Is there a way to do this efficiently (like sed command)? Hope you could help. Thanks. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: daytripper1021
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search/replace specific field, using variables for regexp & subsitution then overwrite file

Hello, I'm trying the solve the following problem. I have a file which I intend to use as a csv called master.csv The columns are separated by commas. I want to change the text on a specific row in either column 3,4,5 or 6 from xxx to yyy depending upon if column 1 matches a specified pattern.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyphex
3 Replies
SUBSTR(3)								 1								 SUBSTR(3)

substr - Return part of a string

SYNOPSIS
string substr (string $string, int $start, [int $length]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the portion of $string specified by the $start and $length parameters. PARAMETERS
o $string - The input string. Must be one character or longer. o $start - If $start is non-negative, the returned string will start at the $start'th position in $string, counting from zero. For instance, in the string ' abcdef', the character at position 0 is ' a', the character at position 2 is ' c', and so forth. If $start is negative, the returned string will start at the $start'th character from the end of $string. If $string is less than or equal to $start characters long, FALSE will be returned. Example #1 Using a negative $start <?php $rest = substr("abcdef", -1); // returns "f" $rest = substr("abcdef", -2); // returns "ef" $rest = substr("abcdef", -3, 1); // returns "d" ?> o $length - If $length is given and is positive, the string returned will contain at most $length characters beginning from $start (depend- ing on the length of $string). If $length is given and is negative, then that many characters will be omitted from the end of $string (after the start position has been calculated when a $start is negative). If $start denotes the position of this trunca- tion or beyond, false will be returned. If $length is given and is 0, FALSE or NULL, an empty string will be returned. If $length is omitted, the substring starting from $start until the end of the string will be returned. Example #2 Using a negative $length <?php $rest = substr("abcdef", 0, -1); // returns "abcde" $rest = substr("abcdef", 2, -1); // returns "cde" $rest = substr("abcdef", 4, -4); // returns false $rest = substr("abcdef", -3, -1); // returns "de" ?> RETURN VALUES
Returns the extracted part of $string; or FALSE on failure, or an empty string. CHANGELOG
+--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ |5.2.2 - 5.2.6 | | | | | | | If the $start parameter indicates the position | | | of a negative truncation or beyond, false is | | | returned. Other versions get the string from | | | start. | | | | +--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #3 Basic substr(3) usage <?php echo substr('abcdef', 1); // bcdef echo substr('abcdef', 1, 3); // bcd echo substr('abcdef', 0, 4); // abcd echo substr('abcdef', 0, 8); // abcdef echo substr('abcdef', -1, 1); // f // Accessing single characters in a string // can also be achieved using "square brackets" $string = 'abcdef'; echo $string[0]; // a echo $string[3]; // d echo $string[strlen($string)-1]; // f ?> Example #4 substr(3) casting behaviour <?php class apple { public function __toString() { return "green"; } } echo "1) ".var_export(substr("pear", 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "2) ".var_export(substr(54321, 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "3) ".var_export(substr(new apple(), 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "4) ".var_export(substr(true, 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "5) ".var_export(substr(false, 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "6) ".var_export(substr("", 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "7) ".var_export(substr(1.2e3, 0, 4), true).PHP_EOL; ?> The above example will output: 1) 'pe' 2) '54' 3) 'gr' 4) '1' 5) false 6) false 7) '1200' ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS Returns FALSE on error. Example #5 <?php var_dump(substr('a', 1)); // bool(false) ?> SEE ALSO
strrchr(3), substr_replace(3), preg_match(3), trim(3), mb_substr(3), wordwrap(3), String access and modification by character. PHP Documentation Group SUBSTR(3)