Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Little explanation needed on array Post 302768893 by Dona Clara on Sunday 10th of February 2013 10:18:16 AM
Old 02-10-2013
Little explanation needed on array

I had gone through..google search.....and unix user post.......where I found so many ways of accessing files..... suppose if I am having 4 files, each file is having 3 columns, and I want to use each field of each column, then how can I use it.. how can I create array for each file's each column, and How do I access each field in C we usually use loops to access data,but C is very lenghty, AWK seems to be simple.. please anyone explain array for handling multiple file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command explanation needed

Hi, Could you please explain me the below statement -- phrase wise. sed -e :a -e '$q;N;'$cnt',$D;ba' abc.txt > xyz.txt if suppose $cnt contains value: 10 it copies last 9 lines of abc.txt to xyz.txt why it is copying last 9 rather than 10. and also what is ba and $D over there in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: subbukns
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array help needed

I want to write a line to a log file for each mountpoint that is above 75% disk space used. I have written the following so far which doesn't take into account the checking for 75% yet but simply tries to write a line for every mountpoint into the logfile. #!/bin/ksh PERCENTAGES=`bdf | grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: petachi
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exec explanation needed

Hello! I want to read a file line by line and have each line in a variable. I have found the following code. #!/bin/bash exec 3< data while read <&3 do echo "The number is $REPLY" a.out "$REPLY" done exec 3>&- I don't understand the use of exec and its arguments, though having read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: myle
3 Replies

4. Solaris

showrev output explanation needed

hi this is the output of showrev command from my sun blade 150 machine. bash-3.00# showrev Hostname: u15_9 Hostid: 83685284 Release: 5.10 Kernel architecture: sun4u Application architecture: sparc Hardware provider: Sun_Microsystems Domain: sun.com Kernel version: SunOS 5.10... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingston
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explanation Needed

Hi all, I'm very new to UNIX. I have got a coding, where i dont understand the below part. Could someone please explain it in detail? awk 'NR > 1; NR == 1 { S = $0 } END { print S }' $textfile.bak > $textfile could someone explain what awk 'NR > 1; NR == 1 { S = $0 } END { print S }' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghulshekar
1 Replies

6. Programming

Python 3.1 TypeError explanation needed

Could someone explain why Python 3.1 errors out below? Do I need an additional module that's not required in 3.2 perhaps? I need to use 3.1 as it's the version available on a server I am using. Python 3.2.1rc1 (default, May 18 2011, 11:01:17) on linux2 Type "help", "copyright", "credits"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed on Associative array in awk

Hi All, I got stuck up with shell script where i use awk. The scenario which i am working on is as below. I have a file text.txt with contents COL1 COL2 COL3 COL4 1 A 500 400 1 B 500 400 1 A 500 200 2 A 290 300 2 B 290 280 3 C 100 100 I could able to sum col 3 and col4 based on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: imsularif
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grep - Explanation needed.

grep -E '^(++){5}5000' <file_name> this command searches value 5000 in only 6th column from provided file where pipe ( | )is delimiter which separate columns... can some one plz explain me what '^(++){5}5000' actually does..? :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Killer420
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Value Too Great for Base Error, Explanation and Workout needed

Hey Friends, its me again! :o I was asked to create a script that would go into our backup directories and delete/purge anything in the directory after a certain amount of days, normally I would be able to write something up that goes to the directory finds it and deletes it. cd... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkelly1117
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Explanation for Scripts Inner Workings Needed

#!/bin/bash n=$l; typeset -a v x=$(< input.dat) check(){ if; then sed 's/Test/Proc/g' file.sh >fl.sh else exit 13 fi } check $n while ; do x=`expr $x -l` v=$x done less fi.sh l>/dev/null&& echo yes || exit 1 echo v= ${v } exit 0 I have file.sh and input.dat in the current... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bananasprite
3 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD