Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Counting characters at each position Post 302768333 by Scrutinizer on Friday 8th of February 2013 11:18:22 AM
Old 02-08-2013
Alternatively you could try:
Code:
awk '{for(i=1; i<=NF; i++) A[i OFS $i]++} END{for(i in A) print i, A[i]}' FS= file | sort -n

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting characters

Dears, I would like to count the number of "(" and ")" that occur in a file. (syntax checking script). I tried to use "grep -c" and this works fine as long as there is only one character (for which I do a search) on a line. Has anyone an idea how I can count the number of specific characters... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: plelie2
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters between comma's

I have a comma delimited file that roughly has 300 fields. Not all fields are populated. This file is fed into another system, what I need to do is count the amount of characters in each field and give me an output similiar to this: 1 - 6,2 - 25 The first number is the field and the second... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Counting position of a character

Hi All, I have a file of the format : idsfskjvfdznvdfjvh ierwjfkncmvlkmc xszkmdvnosndzjndf weuhrndzierfncv rndsjnsllshens iernzkfndslkdhf zkinewfinfvlkmvd I wish to count the occurrences of character 'z' in the file. I also need to find out the position of 'z' in various lines. and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rochitsharma
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting the occurence of particular characters

I want to list the occurence of particular characters in a line. my file looks like this a,b,c,d e,f,g h,y:e,g,y s f;g,s,w and I want to count how many commas are in each line so the file in the end looks like this: a,b,c,d 3 e,f,g 2 h,y:e,g,y s 3 f;g,s,w ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Audra
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting characters

Hi All, I need some help in counting the number of letters in a big file with separations. Following is the file I have >AB_1 MLKKPIIIGVTGGSGGGKTSVSRAILDSFPNARIAMIQHDSYYKDQSHMSFEERVKTNYDHPLAFDTDFM IQQLKELLAGRPVDIPIYDYKKHTRSNTTFRQDPQDVIIVEGILVLEDERLRDLMDIKLFVDTDDDIRII... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters with sed

Input: ghw//yw/hw///??u How can i count the slashes("/") using sed? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters within a file

Ok say I wanted to count every Y in a data file. Then set Y as my delimiter so that I can separate my file by taking all the contents that occur BEFORE the first Y and store them in a variable so that I may use this content later on in my program. Then I could do the same thing with the next Y's... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of characters

Hi all, Can someone help me in getting the following o/p I/p:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters vertically

I do have a big file in the following format >A1 ATGCGG >A2 TCATGC >A3 -TGCTG The number of characters will be same under each subheader and only possible characters are A,T,G,C and - I want to count the number of A's, T's,G's, C's & -'s vertically for all the positions so that I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting value at a particular position without changing the position of other characters

Hi All, I wanted a sed/awk command to add a value/character on a particular position without disturbing the position of other characters. I have file a.txt OL 10031 Day Black Midi Good Value P01 P07 OL 10031 Day Black Short Good Value P01 P07 I want to get the output as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulsk
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)