Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting entries starting with xxx Post 302767929 by Yoda on Thursday 7th of February 2013 06:56:18 PM
Old 02-07-2013
Code:
awk '{ for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) if($i ~ /^123/) print $i; }' file

This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a substring starting from last occurance of a string/character

Hi All, This is Ram. I'm new to this forum & new to shell scripts as well. I've a requirement in which I want to extract a substring from a given string based on last occurance of a character. for eg. I have a string of a file name with absolute path like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krramkumar
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xxx.tar.gz error

Hi All, We have taken data backup using gzip but when we try to restore from ex:xxx.tar.gz file got below error. invalid compressed data--crc error and invalid compressed data--length error How to recover my original data. Thanks in advance for your suggestion (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for extracting out the shortest substring from the given starting and en

hi all, i need an urgent help for writing a shell script which will extract out and print a substring which is the shortest substring from the given string where first and last character of that substring will be given by the user. for e.g. if str="abcdpqracdpqaserd" now if the user gives 'a'... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
18 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep XXX that not followed by YYY

I want to grep all lines containing blocking sess= that are not followed by 0x0 cat trace.log blocking sess=0x0 blocking sess=0x0 rrrr...... blocking sess=121 blocking sess=0x0 blocking sess=0x0 blocking sess=0x0 some other lines blocking sess=001 blocking sess=0x0 blocking sess=0x1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynixon
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compiling multiple ".c" files starting with xxx

Hello, I am trying to figure out how I can write a bashscript that compiles several ".c" files that start with xxx (example: xxx_try.c and xxx_that.c) So I want to compile all these files with a bash script. Anyone can help pls? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Freak79
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find entries, NOT starting with specific pattern

Hey,I have a file in following format >1 ABC........ >2 XYZ..... >3 ABC........ >4 MNO....... >5 ABC....... now I would like to find only those entries that doesn't start with ABC (specific pattern)e.g preferred output: >2 XYZ.... >4 MNO....... it will be nice if anybody how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankitachaurasia
2 Replies

7. AIX

echo $varibla | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" not ruuning as expected

Hi Folks, As per the subject, the following command is not working as expected. echo $variable | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" Could anyone figure it out whats wrong with this. I am using AIX box. Regards, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjarms
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill all proceess with the name XXX

Hello guys, I have a problem. How can i "kill -9" with the name process? I have a lot of process with the same name, but i do not want kill each one with the process ID. There is a comand to "kill -9" al process with name "XXXX". Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xedrox
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Gnome3 locksup on new Linux kernel 12.6.xxx & 12.5.xxx

Hi Forum Ive been having a problem with the kernal(s) for some strange reason it every time I try and access the date and time/calendar or system settings it locks up the whole laptop and nothing responds. :(. This doesn't happen 11.10.xxx kernel . Any help would be much appreciated and thank you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ShinTec
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies
fmt(1)							      General Commands Manual							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - format text SYNOPSIS
width] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The command is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the width option. The default width is 72. concatenates the arguments. If none are given, formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. does not fill lines beginning with a period for compatibility with Nor does it fill lines starting with Indentation is preserved in the output and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless is used). can also be used as an in-line text filter for the command: reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. Options recognizes the following options: Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such "formatted" text, from being unduly combined. Fill output lines to up to width columns. WARNINGS
The width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1). fmt(1)