Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Symbolic link
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Symbolic link Post 302767291 by yifangt on Wednesday 6th of February 2013 02:24:15 PM
Old 02-06-2013
Thanks!
I did noticed sometimes that ls -l indicated the link is actually pointed to itself. It seems to me the trick is this statement
Code:
The /path/to/source/file must be absolute or relative to the /path/to/destination/.

but the man page does not provide enough information about this. More care should be taken next time to create a soft link. Thanks a lot!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

1 symbolic link to 2 different places?

I was wondering is it possible todo something like following: A) Settings:- - 2 servers on the network - both can be reached via /net/SERVER1/datadir and /net/SERVER2/datadir - i'm running rsync to syncronize the data coming to server1 from whatever application B) Wanted: on other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashar
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

symbolic Link

question abt symbolic link ... i'm doing the following ... ln -s x.sh ./scripts/y.sh and cat ./scripts/y.sh it is giving following error cat: cannot open y.sh Any reason u an think of ? But it is working fine when i goto scripts directory and cretae the symbolic link. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic Link Confusion

I have just tried to make my first shortcut aka symbolic link. I entered this command: ln -s /one/two/three/four/help/admin admindirectory to make a link called 'admindirectory' that would take me to: /one/two/three/four/help/admin It seems to have created a directory called... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sepia
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need some info about symbolic link and hard link

hello folks how y'all doin well i have some questions about symbolic link and hard link hope some one answer me i open terminal and join as root and i wrote ln -s blah blah then i wrote ls i see red file called blah blah but didn't understand what is this can some one explain and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: detective linux
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

symbolic link

Hi, i am trying to create sym links on sles 11 , but it seems i am doing something wrong. oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> pwd /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> ln -s /db/ACIS/dbase/dbf/ /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic Link Help

Hello All, This may be a silly question to some but I am really stuck. Is there a way to reverse the following; sudo rm /bin/sh sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh It was part of a driver compile/installation procedure by Digi for Ubuntu stating that dash isn't supported and a symbolic link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAVco
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls on a symbolic link

Hi all, Can anyone please confirm if the command below is the only way that I can get what the symbolic link is set to? mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$: ls -l | grep "^l" lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 28 Aug 9 2011 bdump -> diag/rdbms/posp1/posp1/trace mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all symbolic link?

how to list all symbolic link can i use find / path -type l (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avtalan
1 Replies

10. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

How to list all symbolic link?

how to list all symbolic link, can i use find / path -type l (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avtalan
2 Replies
DH_LINK(1)							     Debhelper								DH_LINK(1)

NAME
dh_link - create symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_link [debhelperoptions] [-A] [-Xitem] [sourcedestination...] DESCRIPTION
dh_link is a debhelper program that creates symlinks in package build directories. dh_link accepts a list of pairs of source and destination files. The source files are the already existing files that will be symlinked from (called target by ln(1)). The destination files are the symlinks that will be created (called link name by ln(1)). There must be an equal number of source and destination files specified. Be sure you do specify the absolute path to both the source and destination files (unlike you would do if you were using something like ln(1)). Please note that the leading slash is optional. dh_link will generate symlinks that comply with Debian policy - absolute when policy says they should be absolute, and relative links with as short a path as possible. It will also create any subdirectories it needs to put the symlinks in. Any pre-existing destination files will be replaced with symlinks. dh_link also scans the package build tree for existing symlinks which do not conform to Debian policy, and corrects them (v4 or later). FILES
debian/package.links Lists pairs of source and destination files to be symlinked. Each pair should be put on its own line, with the source and destination separated by whitespace. In each pair the source file (called target by ln(1)) comes first and is followed by the destination file (called link name by ln(1)). Thus the pairs of source and destination files in each line are give in the same order as they would be given to ln(1). In contrast to ln(1), source and destination paths must be absolute (the leading slash is optional). OPTIONS
-A, --all Create any links specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on, not just the first. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude symlinks that contain item anywhere in their filename from being corrected to comply with Debian policy. source destination ... Create a file named destination as a link to a file named source. Do this in the package build directory of the first package acted on. (Or in all packages if -A is specified.) EXAMPLES
dh_link usr/share/man/man1/foo.1 usr/share/man/man1/bar.1 Make bar.1 be a symlink to foo.1 dh_link var/lib/foo usr/lib/foo usr/share/man/man1/foo.1 usr/share/man/man1/bar.1 Make /usr/lib/foo/ be a link to /var/lib/foo/, and bar.1 be a symlink to the foo.1 var/lib/foo usr/lib/foo usr/share/man/man1/foo.1 usr/share/man/man1/bar.1 Same as above but as content for a debian/package.links file. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_LINK(1)