Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with Date Variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with Date Variable Post 302766901 by Monrogasm on Tuesday 5th of February 2013 11:03:39 PM
Old 02-06-2013
Help with Date Variable

Hi all,

Am flustered up with date... interesting what I had used to work in Fedora 4 and now with a system update to fedora 10 it doesn't and really not sure why?

I assign a variable: date_log=`date -d '1 day ago' +"%h %e"` which is for a specific system log that uses dates in format "Feb 5" losing the leading 0's. So I used this for about 2 years on fedora 4 by setting up log collections for last 10 days using the string format assigned to a variable, passed that to a function and grep'd out some stuff by day.

Now with fedora 10 bash strips the leading extra space after it puts it in the variable.

This works: foo=`date +"%h %e"` foo shows "Feb 5" with two spaces
this does not: foo=`date -d '1 day ago' +"%h %e"` foo shows "Feb 5" with one space. I can type the same date command at CLI and it shows two spaces. Interesting it worked fine in fedora 4??

Actual code truncated:
Code:
	case $menuDate in
	"1")	data_date=`date +%Y%m%d`
			data_date_log=`date +"%h %e"`
			data_date_dec=`date +%m%d`
			GetData ;;
	"2")	data_date=`date -d '1 day ago' +%Y%m%d`
			data_date_log=`date -d '1 day ago' +"%h %e"`
			data_date_dec=`date -d '1 day ago' +%m%d`
			GetData ;;

Get data simply greps out some dates such as:
Code:
grep "$data_date_log" $DIR3/errorlog.txt > /usb/$site'_'$data_date/$errorlog'_'$data_date.txt

Really confused why the space is now truncated.

I tried assigning the variable in quotes like date="$(date -d '1 day ago' +"%h %e")"

Tried using %b %_d as the format.

I can always get date to respond properly with appropriate formatting, but once I shove it into a variable the space goes away.

Idea's?

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by Franklin52; 02-06-2013 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using date in a variable name

Hi, Another nubie to Unix programming. I am using the Korne shell. I am trying to use the system date as a name in a tar file. Here is the code to explain. TODAY= date +%m%d%y echo $TODAY ### it echo's 021606 which is fine tar -cvf "$TODAY".tar *.std* I think you get the idea.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppopper
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date variable

Dear all, Today=`date +%d%m%y`` I want to decrease the date by 1. How would we do that. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asadlone
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert date variable to doy variable

Hello: I have a script that requires the use of DOY (as a variable) instead of YY/MM/DD. I already obtained these parameters from downloaded files and stored them as variables (i.e. $day, $month, $year). Is there any simple script that I could incorporate in mine to do this job? Regards, ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aabrego
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check date variable according to the current date?

Hi folks, I need to write a script that should activate a process according to the current hour. The process should be activatet only if the hour is between midnight (00:00) and 07:00. How should I create the condition? Thanks in advance, Nir (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[ask]date variable

Is there date variable in bash? for example, I have string 01-23-2010 (mm-dd-yyyy) or 23-01-2010 (dd-mm-yyyy). How can I convert that string to date variable? and how to do some math operation based on date? for example, today is 12-11-2010. I want to know date 100 days after today or 50... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 14th
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date into variable

I'm trying to set var j = to date like this: j = $(date +%yy%m%d) echo $j But I'm missing something here. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

LINUX ---> Add one date to a date variable

Hi All, I am trying to add one day to the busdt variable i am extracting from a file (DynamicParam.env). I am deriving the busdt as below. Is there any function which I can use to derive as below. If busdt=20120910, then the new derived variable value should be 20120911 If... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Setting Date Variable +1 date

I need to set a date varable within ksh that will set the date to the next day in the format 25-JUL-2013 - any help would be appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjdamon
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert a date stored in a variable to epoch date

I am not able to pass date stored in a variable as an argument to date command. I get current date value for from_date and to_date #!/usr/bin/ksh set -x for s in server ; do ssh -T $s <<-EOF from_date="12-Jan-2015 12:02:09" to_date="24-Jan-2015 13:02:09" echo \$from_date echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj48
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to replace a parameter(variable) date value inside a text files daily with current date?

Hello All, we what we call a parameter file (.txt) where my application read dynamic values when the job is triggered, one of such values are below: abc.txt ------------------ line1 line2 line3 $$EDWS_DATE_INSERT=08-27-2019 line4 $$EDWS_PREV_DATE_INSERT=08-26-2019 I am trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepp
1 Replies
widget_calendar(n)					    widget::calendar Megawidget 					widget_calendar(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
widget_calendar - widget::calendar Megawidget SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require Tk 8.4 package require widget ?3.0? widget::calendar pathname ?options? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a calendar megawidget (snidget). widget::calendar pathname ?options? WIDGET OPTIONS
-command A script to evaluate when a date was selected. -dateformat The format of the date that is returned. Default: %m/%d/%Y. -firstday Set first day the week, Either sunday or monday. It defaults to monday. -font Select the font used in the widget. It defaults to Helvetica 9. -highlightcolor Selects the background color for the day that has been selected. Default: #FFCC00 -language Specify language of the calendar contents. The language is specified by abbreviations of the languge, for example: en - english, de - german ... It defaults to en. Supported languages: en, de, fr, it, es, pt, ru, sv, zh, fi -shadecolor Selects the color of the parts that have a shaded background. Default: #888888 -showpast Specify if the past shall be shown. It is a boolean value and defaults to 1. -textvariable Specifies the name of a variable whose value is linked to the entry widget's contents. Whenever the variable changes value, the widget's contents are updated, and vice versa. WIDGET COMMAND
pathname get ?what? Returns a part of the selected date or 'all'. The argument what selects the part. Valid values for what are: day, month, year and all. 'all' is the default and returns the complete date in the format given with -dateformat. DEFAULT BINDINGS
On creation of the calendar widget the following bindings are installed. o Up - Move to week before current date o Down - Move to week after current date o Left - Move to day before current date o Right - Move to day after current date o Control-Left - Move to month before current date o Control-Right - Move to month after current date o Control-Up - Move to year before current date o Control-Down - Move to year after current date EXAMPLE
package require widget::calendar ; # or widget::all set t [widget::calendar .t] pack $t -fill x -expand 1 KEYWORDS
megawidget, snit, widget widget 0.93 widget_calendar(n)