Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C++ : is what the meaning of #include<stdio.h>? Post 302765997 by neutronscott on Monday 4th of February 2013 03:41:06 AM
Old 02-04-2013
Early in the compiling of a source, a preprocessor takes these # directives. #include basically puts all of stdio.h into the top of your code. the .h identifies it as a "header".

In C, before you use a function, the compiler must first know how it is suppose to be called.

For example, how many arguments and of what type? All this is in stdio.h, for the Standard I/O functions (things that print to the screen and such).

Usually, in C++ it's #include <iostream>, but we won't fault you for using C functions Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what the meaning of #*

can some one please tell the meaning of the second statement i.e n=${m#*=} i couldnt get the meaning of the #*= 1.) m="mohit=/c/main/issue" echo $m result ----------- mohit=/c/main/issue 2.) n=${m#*=} echo $n RESULT ------- /c/main/issue (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: narang.mohit
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

meaning of !*

can someone please tell what !* means in shell syntax. Regards, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
3 Replies

3. Programming

Atomic Read and Write with stdio

hi guys. can we use fread and fwrite with pipes to write data more than PIPE_BUF atomically since they lock FILE object until I/O operation finish? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
1 Replies

4. Programming

stdio.h vs unistd.h I/O

Hi guys. To work with physical files, sockets, pipes, ... which library is good? stdio or unistd stdio.h functions perform buffering and rationally should be better than unistd.h routines. but i am wondering why all UNIX programming books use unistd.h routines for almost all types of I/O... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
7 Replies

5. Programming

FILE structure - stdio.h

Hi All, I am new to linux and Programming. Inside the file stdio.h, there is a description about FILE structure. Which has many internal data members like _p, _r, _flags etc. I have written a sample code to find out the contents of the FILE structure. It opens a sample file ( FILE *fp ),... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikunjbadjatya
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

^$$ meaning

Hi , Can anyone please let me know whta the follwoing piece of code for ScriptName=${0##*/} if pgrep -f "$ScriptName" | grep -v "^$$\$" ; then echo `date`": Sctipt $ScritName is already runnig" exit fi Thnx a lot in advance Please use code tags when posting data and code... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

meaning of <<!

Hi all, I wanna know the meaning of the last word "<<! " sudo su - user <<! please help on this !!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudharson
1 Replies

8. Programming

stdio.h not found on Solaris 11

Hi friends, I hope u r doing well. I have just installed Solaris 11, and it seems that solaris 11 doesn't come with all the packages, one has to do everything manually. I download gcc from sunfreeware.com and installed it. After setting up the path variable, I tried to compile the hello world... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
4 Replies

9. Solaris

fatal error: stdio.h: No such file or directory

Trying to compile a C program recievin this hello.c:1:19: fatal error: stdio.h: No such file or directory gcc is installed on the system. echo $PATH /usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/gcc/4.5/include/c++/4.5.2/tr1 root@Sol11swtb01:/media/NO NAME/Programming/C/Testing# cd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fingerz
2 Replies

10. Programming

Ignoring the stdio.h file in a C file

I am facing a problem in the below given code. int main() { printf("\nHello Geeks\n\n") ; return 0 ; } In the above mentioned code i left including "#include ". And if i compile and execute this piece of code, the output is printed as expected. But "#include " being the most important... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj 89
7 Replies
FPUTS(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  FPUTS(3)

NAME
fputs, puts -- output a line to a stream LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> int fputs(const char *restrict s, FILE *restrict stream); int puts(const char *s); DESCRIPTION
The function fputs() writes the string pointed to by s to the stream pointed to by stream. The function puts() writes the string s, and a terminating newline character, to the stream stdout. RETURN VALUES
The functions fputs() and puts() return a nonnegative integer on success and EOF on error. ERRORS
[EBADF] The stream argument is not a writable stream. The functions fputs() and puts() may also fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the routines write(2). COMPATIBILITY
fputs() now returns a non-negative number (as opposed to 0) on successful completion. As a result, many tests (e.g., "fputs() == 0", "fputs() != 0") do not give the desired result. Use "fputs() != EOF" or "fputs() == EOF" to determine success or failure. SEE ALSO
ferror(3), fputws(3), putc(3), stdio(3) STANDARDS
The functions fputs() and puts() conform to ISO/IEC 9899:1990 (``ISO C90''). While not mentioned in the standard, both fputs() and puts() print '(null)' if str is NULL. BSD
June 4, 1993 BSD