Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Is there a way to free up memory manually ? Post 302765233 by DGPickett on Friday 1st of February 2013 05:00:30 PM
Old 02-01-2013
Welcome to VM -- Once a host has been running a while, free ram pages of memory only occur in the window from when programs exit until other programs have not used up the freed pages, which were caching the heap and stack (swap backed pages). If you mmap() a file, and access the pages, they lay in ram until needed. You could exit, rerun, mmap() the same file, and read those same pages of ram. This works great for dynamic libraries, databases and all other sorts of stuff. All ram is a cache for disk.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to free the memory?

For example if i have the piece of code as follows: CountryName = (char *)malloc((strlen(CountryName)+1)*sizeof(char)); memset(CountryName, 0, strlen(CountryName)+1); CountryName = SOME VALUE Now how do i free the memory after use of this code???? :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
3 Replies

2. Programming

Determining free(available) memory in MV linux

HI I'm a rookie in C programming and I'm working in Monta Vista Linux. I have to write a program that displays free memory. I have memtester(allready written by someone else) and now I have to type how much amount of memory tester will test and I want that memtester finds out himself how much of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: trancedeejay
11 Replies

3. AIX

Free Memory

Hi, how to find free memory in aix? for installing oracle,I have used svmon but not getting proper output (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

4. AIX

Free Memory in aix

Hi, I want to know how to find out free physical memory in aix, (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
11 Replies

5. Solaris

How to find Total and Free Physical Memory and Logical Memory in SOLARIS 9

Hi, Im working on Solaris 9 on SPARC-32 bit running on an Ultra-80, and I have to find out the following:- 1. Total Physical Memory in the system(total RAM). 2. Available Physical Memory(i.e. RAM Usage) 3. Total (Logical) Memory in the system 4. Available (Logical) Memory. I know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
4 Replies

6. Solaris

how to get the more memory free space (see memory free column)

Hi all, Could please let me know how to get the more memory free space (not added the RAM) in local zone. -bash-3.00# vmstat 2 5 kthr memory page disk faults cpu r b w swap free re mf pi po fr de sr s0 s1 s1 s1 in sy cs us sy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: murthy76
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

how to find out free memory?

hi, I have done the below, but am confused as to how much memory is "free" please help thanks $ free total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 132033488 48827536 83205952 0 1007696 45404632 -/+ buffers/cache: 2415208 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Out of Memory error when free memory size is large

I was running a program and it stopped and showed "Out of Memory!". at that time, the RAM used by this process is around 4G and the free memory size of the machine is around 30G. Does anybody know what maybe the reason? this program is written with Perl. the OS of the machine is Solaris U8. And I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lilili07
1 Replies

9. Programming

Memory free() in C

Hi guys. I've a question, if we are using a syscall that receives a string allocated dynamicaly to a determined size, or NUL and it will allocate the apropriate size. We should free the memory or the OS will do it for us? If a function returns a pointer we should free that poiter when we are done... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharaoh
7 Replies

10. Solaris

How the free memory threshold?

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking for an explanation of Solaris memory manager. You'd better ask Oracle that question because you are talking about Solaris kernel internals. The operating system kernel has no reason to kick a process's memory set out of real memory until... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hicksd8
4 Replies
ALLOC_HUGEPAGES(2)					     Linux Programmer's Manual						ALLOC_HUGEPAGES(2)

NAME
alloc_hugepages, free_hugepages - allocate or free huge pages SYNOPSIS
void *alloc_hugepages(int key, void *addr, size_t len, int prot, int flag); int free_hugepages(void *addr); DESCRIPTION
The system calls alloc_hugepages() and free_hugepages() were introduced in Linux 2.5.36 and removed again in 2.5.54. They existed only on i386 and ia64 (when built with CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE). In Linux 2.4.20 the syscall numbers exist, but the calls fail with the error ENOSYS. On i386 the memory management hardware knows about ordinary pages (4 KiB) and huge pages (2 or 4 MiB). Similarly ia64 knows about huge pages of several sizes. These system calls serve to map huge pages into the process's memory or to free them again. Huge pages are locked into memory, and are not swapped. The key argument is an identifier. When zero the pages are private, and not inherited by children. When positive the pages are shared with other applications using the same key, and inherited by child processes. The addr argument of free_hugepages() tells which page is being freed: it was the return value of a call to alloc_hugepages(). (The memory is first actually freed when all users have released it.) The addr argument of alloc_hugepages() is a hint, that the kernel may or may not follow. Addresses must be properly aligned. The len argument is the length of the required segment. It must be a multiple of the huge page size. The prot argument specifies the memory protection of the segment. It is one of PROT_READ, PROT_WRITE, PROT_EXEC. The flag argument is ignored, unless key is positive. In that case, if flag is IPC_CREAT, then a new huge page segment is created when none with the given key existed. If this flag is not set, then ENOENT is returned when no segment with the given key exists. RETURN VALUE
On success, alloc_hugepages() returns the allocated virtual address, and free_hugepages() returns zero. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
ENOSYS The system call is not supported on this kernel. FILES
/proc/sys/vm/nr_hugepages Number of configured hugetlb pages. This can be read and written. /proc/meminfo Gives info on the number of configured hugetlb pages and on their size in the three variables HugePages_Total, HugePages_Free, Hugepagesize. CONFORMING TO
These calls are specific to Linux on Intel processors, and should not be used in programs intended to be portable. NOTES
These system calls are gone; they existed only in Linux 2.5.36 through to 2.5.54. Now the hugetlbfs file system can be used instead. Mem- ory backed by huge pages (if the CPU supports them) is obtained by using mmap(2) to map files in this virtual file system. The maximal number of huge pages can be specified using the hugepages= boot parameter. COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2007-05-31 ALLOC_HUGEPAGES(2)