Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How get program name that produced an IO error redirected to a LOG in a nohup command? Post 302765231 by enriquegm82 on Friday 1st of February 2013 04:59:16 PM
Old 02-01-2013
Question How get program name that produced an IO error redirected to a LOG in a nohup command?

Good afternoon,

I'm have program that executes in background another programs. The main program would be programA and the programs executed by the main one, would be program1a, program1b and program1c.

I need the programs to continue the execution no matter if the shell connection is lost, so I'm using the NOHUP command.

However, each program has its own LOG file, like follows.-

programA --> logfileA.txt
program1a --> logfile1a.txt
program1b --> logfile1b.txt
program1c --> logfile1c.txt

When an error occurs in one of the child programs, the error message is displayed in the LOG file corresponding to the main program.

Example.-

1) The programA is invoked from another routine.-

Code:
nohup nice -10 programA 2>&1 > logfileA.txt

2) Inside programA it invokes the other 3 programs.-

Code:
nohup nice -10 program1a 2>&1 > logfile1a.txt
nohup nice -10 program1b 2>&1 > logfile1b.txt
nohup nice -10 program1c 2>&1 > logfile1c.txt

When an error occurs, it is showed or displayed in the logfileA.txt, instead of being displayed in the logfile1a.txt or logfile1b.txt or logfile1c.txt

How can I know what program produced the error that it is displayed in the main program's LOG file?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited by radoulov; 04-03-2014 at 12:23 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail -f a log file redirected into a new window?

Is this possible? I am attempting to display a new xterm window and tail -f the log file within that new window. I am currently working on a solaris 8 machine if that has any different meaning than the other platforms. As you can see, I am a newbie to this forum and to UNIX. Any help would be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: douknownam
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nohup Command

Hello All, I am newbie to unix.I am trying to use NOHUP command in shell script it works fine with only "nohup test.sh 10 &" and "/opt/user/nohup test.sh 10 &" gives an error saying "ksh: /opt/user/nohup : not found". Can anybody please guide me to make it work. Thanks Blazix (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: blazix
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ignoring files that are currently being produced

Hi! Letīs say I want copy dump-files to a location. These dump-files vary between 80 and 280MB and will be produced in about 1min or less. I have a cronjob which (not only) copies those. So how can I find out whether a file is currently produced or not? Because if my script works with these... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cypher82
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nohup command..

Hi.. Can anybody tell me, what exactly the nohup command does & when is it used? Your help is appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amol21
3 Replies

5. Programming

Want to get /var/log/messages redirected to a FIFO ...

Is it possible that I get all the syslog messages from /var/log/messages redirected to some FIFO as and when any new messages comes. In exact, I need to duplicate the messages to a FIFO, the moment a new message is logged; from where another process reads and does some processing without... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveen_218
12 Replies

6. Solaris

Error messgaes can not be redirected

# whoami 2>/dev/null whoami: not found # Why the error message not getting redirected to /dev/null ... The shell is # echo $SHELL /sbin/sh For other commands it is working # ls aaa 2>/dev/null # Is there any other way to redirect the err msg from whoami Thank you for your... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anu_1
7 Replies

7. AIX

Nohup command

I'm trying to run a compress script in the background, but I even though the script is running in the background I get "Sending nohup output to nohup.out." and the screen just stays there. How can I make the script run in background and make my command prompt come back. I was using: nohup... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Make - two target produced by one recipe

Suppose executable X produces files A and B from nothing, Y produces C from A, Z produces D from B, and my final goal is to produce C and D. I wrote the following makefile: .PHONY: all all: C D C: A Y A D: B Z B A B: X This makefile seems to reflect all dependencies, as it should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ybelenky
2 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

missing delimiters when mysql output is redirected to log file

Hi, Pls check that '|' and '+' present in Step-1 are not copied to log file in Step-3. Pls suggest how to get the exact output from Step-1 (i.e. with out losing '|' and '+') in to a log file ~Thanks Step-1: Execute command > mysql -utest -ptest -htesthost testdb -e "select * from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dot and redirected output syntax in a tar command

Hi All, Please could anyone advise what the purpose of the dot syntax in the following command means: tar -cvf ${WORKING_BACKUP_ROOT}/${TAR_ARCHIVE_FILE} . >/${BACKUP_ROOT}/${ARCHIVE_LOG} Many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveu7
2 Replies
nice(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   nice(1)

NAME
nice - run a command at nondefault priority SYNOPSIS
command [command_args] command [command_args] DESCRIPTION
The command executes command at a nondefault CPU scheduling priority. (The name is derived from being "nice" to other system users by run- ning large programs at lower priority.) Arguments The command-line arguments are as follows: priority_change The difference between the system nice value (relative priority) of the current (or parent) process and the actual system nice value at which command is to run. An unsigned value increases the system nice value for command, causing it to run at lower priority. A negative value requires superuser privileges, and assigns a lower system nice value (higher priority) to command. If the current process is not privileged, the value is silently treated as if it were 0. If the value of priority_change would result in a system nice value outside the range 0 through 39, the correspond- ing limit value of 0 or 39 is used instead. Note that a positive priority_change (lower priority) has a single option character before the numeric value; a neg- ative (higher priority) priority_change has two: the option character followed by the minus sign If is not speci- fied, it defaults to command A program, HP-UX command, user shell script, etc. to be executed at the nondefault priority. command can be run as a foreground or background process. If command is run as a background process, any nice priority_change made by the shell executes all background pro- cesses via is in addition to that specified in the command line. command_args Any arguments recognized by command. Process Priorities All processes have an associated system nice value which is used to compute the instantaneous-priority of the process when it is scheduled to run. Normally, all processes inherit the system nice value of their parent process when they are spawned. The shell etc.) can create a child process with a different priority from the current shell process by spawning the child process via the command. If the prior- ity_change value is unsigned (positive), the child process is nicer (lower in priority) relative to the parent. If the priority_change value is negative, the child process runs at a higher priority with a greater share of available system resources. To spawn a higher pri- ority child process, the parent process must be owned by a user who has the appropriate privileges. At boot-up, the system starts the process at a system nice value of 20 (system default). On most systems, all processes (down to the login shells) inherit this priority. Starting from their individual login shell processes, users can alter the system nice value of descendent processes to as much as 39, or, with appropriate privileges, as little as 0. A system nice value of 0 establishes an extremely high prior- ity, whereas a value of 39 indicates a very low priority. Ordinary users can only increase the system nice value of any child process relative to the current process; i.e., priority_change must be a positive (unsigned) value, resulting in a lower priority. To start a child process at a lower system nice value (higher priority) than the current process, the user must have the appropriate privileges, regardless of the relative nice-priority value desired. For example, using the command from a login shell whose current nice value is 20 spawns a subshell with a system nice value of 30. Attempting to use from the new shell to spawn another subshell whose system nice value would be 28, is rejected (unless the user has appropriate privileges), even though the resulting system nice value would be less than the priority of the original login shell process. The system nice value for current processes is listed under the column produced by the command (see ps(1)). Background Processes Foreground processes are run at same system nice value as the parent shell. Background processes spawned by run at the equivalent of a by default. If a background process is started via from any priority_change specified in the command is added to default Thus the command runs at a system nice value of 36 if executed from EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. RETURN VALUE
returns the value returned by command. EXAMPLES
The following examples assume the current process is running with a system nice value of 20 and is executed from the Korn shell (see ksh(1)). Run a program named in the current directory at the default priority_change of 10 (system nice value of 30): Run the same program in the background using a system nice value of 36 (priority_change=12 plus 4 for the Korn shell): As a user with appropriate privileges, run as a foreground process with a system nice value of 6: WARNINGS
The C shell, has a built-in command with different syntax. See csh(1) for details. SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), nohup(1), sh-posix(1), sh(1), renice(1M), nice(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
nice(1)