Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Deny to edit a specific file in sudoers Post 302764743 by lhareigh890 on Thursday 31st of January 2013 10:12:12 PM
Old 01-31-2013
thanks..is there an application or a way on how to do this? because i want our sysads to say apt-get install, shutdown, mv, cp etc but will restrict their access to the ff for example
a. /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf--- its bec i will disable usb/video module

in this way they will not be able to edit this file but they can edit all files, cp, mv, rm etc since they are sysad and they will be sudoers.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

sudoers file

Hi, I have edited 'sudoers' file to allow 'cads' user shutdown the system without providing a password. Can someone tell me what's wrong with my file? It's not working when I 'sudo SHUTDOWN' command: sudo: SHUTDOWN: command not found Thanks a lot! # Host alias specification... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

deny deletion of a file without omiting w permission

how to forbid deleting a file even though the file is owned by the user? I thought of setfacl command on solaris. Any hints please? thx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudoers file questions

What is the difference between ALL and localhost in the bellow? # %users ALL=/sbin/mount /cdrom,/sbin/umount /cdrom # %users localhost=/sbin/shutdown -h now Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
2 Replies

4. AIX

Does ACL can only grant/deny access for specific command?

Dear AIX/UNIX experts: I have a demand to restricted a file to be copy by others, but this file must can be read by others/Applications. As I tried, the chmod command cannot fulfill this requirement. But not sure if the ACL can achieve this function or not ? Could anybody give me your... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: devyfong
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sudoers file

i have defined a rule in the sudoers file so a specific user is able to run some commands as sudo with no password. my question is: is it possible to restrict a user to run commands as sudo only in a certain directory? for example: chown only the files that are located in /var/tmp. Thank you. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: noam128
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to edit specific variable in file?

HI guys i have a question. Question 1: how do i modify a particular string? e.g echo "Please enter Book Title: " read a echo "Please enter Author: " read b if ] then echo " Record found!" which will then pop out a menu with the follow output 1. Update Name 2.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ichar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit file content at the specific line.

How to edit file content at the specific line? For example at below The things to edit --> This is line 2. And it is below line 1. This is line 1. This is line 2. # i want to append some words at this row line. How? This is line 3. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvin0618
8 Replies

8. HP-UX

Unable to edit the sudoers file using script

Hi All, I've made a script in order to delete the users. The script is deleting the users and removing its entry from the /etc/sudoers however it is changing the permissions of the /etc/sudoers file to the user from which it is executing the script. #!/bin/ksh #set -x print "The script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kits
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Sudoers file

Hi using Solaris 10. trying to update /etc/sudoers file I need to add all the fist level operation team. This is what I have but it doesn't seem to work. Please help.Error message sudo su - >>> sudoers file: parse error, line 9 <<< >>> sudoers file: parse error, line 9 <<< ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Sudoers file

In the sudoers file in Solaris... I am trying to limit the DEVELOPER user privileges to where those users can only use the “rm” command in certain directories. This is to prevent them from deleting directories or files and destroying a server. I want them to be able to use the "rm" command but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nzonefx
1 Replies
MODPROBE.D(5)							    modprobe.d							     MODPROBE.D(5)

NAME
modprobe.d - Configuration directory for modprobe SYNOPSIS
/lib/modprobe.d/*.conf /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf /run/modprobe.d/*.conf DESCRIPTION
Because the modprobe command can add or remove more than one module, due to modules having dependencies, we need a method of specifying what options are to be used with those modules. All files underneath the /etc/modprobe.d directory which end with the .conf extension specify those options as required. They can also be used to create convenient aliases: alternate names for a module, or they can override the normal modprobe behavior altogether for those with special requirements (such as inserting more than one module). Note that module and alias names (like other module names) can have - or _ in them: both are interchangeable throughout all the module commands as underscore conversion happens automatically. The format of and files under modprobe.d is simple: one command per line, with blank lines and lines starting with '#' ignored (useful for adding comments). A '' at the end of a line causes it to continue on the next line, which makes the file a bit neater. COMMANDS
alias wildcard modulename This allows you to give alternate names for a module. For example: "alias my-mod really_long_modulename" means you can use "modprobe my-mod" instead of "modprobe really_long_modulename". You can also use shell-style wildcards, so "alias my-mod* really_long_modulename" means that "modprobe my-mod-something" has the same effect. You can't have aliases to other aliases (that way lies madness), but aliases can have options, which will be added to any other options. Note that modules can also contain their own aliases, which you can see using modinfo. These aliases are used as a last resort (ie. if there is no real module, install, remove, or alias command in the configuration). blacklist modulename Modules can contain their own aliases: usually these are aliases describing the devices they support, such as "pci:123...". These "internal" aliases can be overridden by normal "alias" keywords, but there are cases where two or more modules both support the same devices, or a module invalidly claims to support a device that it does not: the blacklist keyword indicates that all of that particular module's internal aliases are to be ignored. install modulename command... This command instructs modprobe to run your command instead of inserting the module in the kernel as normal. The command can be any shell command: this allows you to do any kind of complex processing you might wish. For example, if the module "fred" works better with the module "barney" already installed (but it doesn't depend on it, so modprobe won't automatically load it), you could say "install fred /sbin/modprobe barney; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install fred", which would do what you wanted. Note the --ignore-install, which stops the second modprobe from running the same install command again. See also remove below. The long term future of this command as a solution to the problem of providing additional module dependencies is not assured and it is intended to replace this command with a warning about its eventual removal or deprecation at some point in a future release. Its use complicates the automated determination of module dependencies by distribution utilities, such as mkinitrd (because these now need to somehow interpret what the install commands might be doing. In a perfect world, modules would provide all dependency information without the use of this command and work is underway to implement soft dependency support within the Linux kernel. If you use the string "$CMDLINE_OPTS" in the command, it will be replaced by any options specified on the modprobe command line. This can be useful because users expect "modprobe fred opt=1" to pass the "opt=1" arg to the module, even if there's an install command in the configuration file. So our above example becomes "install fred /sbin/modprobe barney; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install fred $CMDLINE_OPTS" options modulename option... This command allows you to add options to the module modulename (which might be an alias) every time it is inserted into the kernel: whether directly (using modprobe modulename) or because the module being inserted depends on this module. All options are added together: they can come from an option for the module itself, for an alias, and on the command line. remove modulename command... This is similar to the install command above, except it is invoked when "modprobe -r" is run. softdep modulename pre: modules... post: modules... The softdep command allows you to specify soft, or optional, module dependencies. modulename can be used without these optional modules installed, but usually with some features missing. For example, a driver for a storage HBA might require another module be loaded in order to use management features. pre-deps and post-deps modules are lists of names and/or aliases of other modules that modprobe will attempt to install (or remove) in order before and after the main module given in the modulename argument. Example: Assume "softdep c pre: a b post: d e" is provided in the configuration. Running "modprobe c" is now equivalent to "modprobe a b c d e" without the softdep. Flags such as --use-blacklist are applied to all the specified modules, while module parameters only apply to module c. Note: if there are install or remove commands with the same modulename argument, softdep takes precedence. COMPATIBILITY
A future version of kmod will come with a strong warning to avoid use of the install as explained above. This will happen once support for soft dependencies in the kernel is complete. That support will complement the existing softdep support within this utility by providing such dependencies directly within the modules. COPYRIGHT
This manual page originally Copyright 2004, Rusty Russell, IBM Corporation. Maintained by Jon Masters and others. SEE ALSO
modprobe(8), modules.dep(5) AUTHORS
Jon Masters <jcm@jonmasters.org> Developer Robby Workman <rworkman@slackware.com> Developer Lucas De Marchi <lucas.de.marchi@gmail.com> Developer kmod 01/28/2018 MODPROBE.D(5)