Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Simple script not working- for loop Post 302763675 by vbe on Wednesday 30th of January 2013 10:07:58 AM
Old 01-30-2013
Though the previous post is absolutely correct, we here at unix.com are more in favor of pamu's solution for it avoids the use of a not necessary cat command
This User Gave Thanks to vbe For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why this simple script, is not working ?

Hi everybody I want to create 20 file using simple script - listed bellow-. But the script doesn't work. I hope anyone guide me to correct this script ---------------- The script integer number=01 until (($number==21)) do >TELE-LOG-$number number=$number+01 echo $number done exit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: so_friendly
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple perl script not working

why won't below work? I am trying to see a)sipfile has username of the system. b)it will read the sipfile and do a grep function against the /etc/passwd c)it will save that output to /tmp/result.. but my script is just hanging... #!/usr/bin/perl -w open(SIPFILE, "</tmp/sipfile") ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hankooknara
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple BASH script not working?

So I need a script that does the following: If a certain user is logged in Run `command` Else Echo “incorrect user” This is my first stab...which doesn't work: #!/bin/bash X="user=`ls -l /dev/console | cut -d " " -f 4`" Y="foobar" echo $X echo $Y (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: doubleminus
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple cgi script not working

hi all, i have installed simple cgi-script under apache/cgi-bin directory hello.cgi #!/usr/bin/perl print "Content-type: text/html\n\n"; print <<END_HTML; <html> <head></head> <body>Hello, World!</body> </html> END_HTML when i hit the url... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghur77
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple LOOP script help

I am trying to create a simple ksh loop script. What I've pasted below is not working. Any help is appreciated. typeset -i count typeset -i tcount count=0 tcount=0 while $tcount >= 11 do print "\$count is $count" pwd ls -l sleep 30 $(( $tcount = $count + 1 )) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: musikman65
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple script to alert if internet not working?

Hi, I am constantly automaticaly downloading a few things on the internet but since my internet connection is unstable, it sometimes wont work. Thing is the internet will appear to be connected, but no website can be accessed and no program can successfully connect to any location. I can fix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fuzzylogic25
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Simple while loop does not exit

spath="/home/user/k/${1}" dpath="/home/user/seq/Nov17/${1}" cd $dpath ls -1 $spath > list c=1 while read list newlist=`echo $list | sed 's/.gz//' ` newnewlist=`echo $newlist | sed 's/.fastq//' ` do echo $c echo $list c=$(($c+1)) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: analyst
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Email Script not working when added to cron[solved]

Hi I have written an email script in python which sends email to the given id. I have customized the script for generating space alert inside a shell script as shown below df -h /microfocus > /tmp/spacereport ## Filter the %usage to variable per per=$(awk '{if (NR==3){print $4}}'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Shell script not working in crontab

Hi Iam running below script in crontab but its not working. #!/bin/sh cd /Scripts /usr/local/bin/expect -f /Scripts/bng_backup.exp /Scripts/data.txt tar -cf bngbackup.tar bngbackup ;gzip bngbackup.tar when iam running manually the output file is generating..but bngbackup.tar.gz file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: surender reddy
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple sftp script not working - Please help

I have the below sftp script to transfer a file from a linux host(source) to another linux host(target). Public key is already set up in target host and I am able to transfer file using sftp from source to target. But not sure why the below script(ftp_script) is not working. Any help in this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Armaan
3 Replies
GIT-SH-SETUP(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)

NAME
git-sh-setup - Common Git shell script setup code SYNOPSIS
. "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-setup" DESCRIPTION
This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish scripts and/or are writing new ones. The git sh-setup scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by other shell scripts to set up some variables pointing at the normal Git directories and a few helper shell functions. Before sourcing it, your script should set up a few variables; USAGE (and LONG_USAGE, if any) is used to define message given by usage() shell function. SUBDIRECTORY_OK can be set if the script can run from a subdirectory of the working tree (some commands do not). The scriptlet sets GIT_DIR and GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY shell variables, but does not export them to the environment. FUNCTIONS
die exit after emitting the supplied error message to the standard error stream. usage die with the usage message. set_reflog_action set the message that will be recorded to describe the end-user action in the reflog, when the script updates a ref. git_editor runs an editor of user's choice (GIT_EDITOR, core.editor, VISUAL or EDITOR) on a given file, but error out if no editor is specified and the terminal is dumb. is_bare_repository outputs true or false to the standard output stream to indicate if the repository is a bare repository (i.e. without an associated working tree). cd_to_toplevel runs chdir to the toplevel of the working tree. require_work_tree checks if the current directory is within the working tree of the repository, and otherwise dies. require_work_tree_exists checks if the working tree associated with the repository exists, and otherwise dies. Often done before calling cd_to_toplevel, which is impossible to do if there is no working tree. require_clean_work_tree <action> [<hint>] checks that the working tree and index associated with the repository have no uncommitted changes to tracked files. Otherwise it emits an error message of the form Cannot <action>: <reason>. <hint>, and dies. Example: require_clean_work_tree rebase "Please commit or stash them." get_author_ident_from_commit outputs code for use with eval to set the GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL and GIT_AUTHOR_DATE variables for a given commit. create_virtual_base modifies the first file so only lines in common with the second file remain. If there is insufficient common material, then the first file is left empty. The result is suitable as a virtual base input for a 3-way merge. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-SH-SETUP(1)