Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Revision Control System
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Revision Control System Post 302763405 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 30th of January 2013 02:43:59 AM
Old 01-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
@Don, but the same would be the case on every Unix/Linux system, no? Perhaps setgid was not set on the directories involved in the new Linux environment..
The standards allow two behaviors: newly created files get the group ID of the creating process (BSD) or the group ID of the containing directory (prior versions of UNIX System V). Most systems always provide one of these behaviors without looking at the containing directory.

Sun provided a feature allowing the end user to choose the behavior they wanted when UNIX System V was merged into its earlier BSD-based source tree. I am not aware of any other systems other than later AT&T releases of UNIX System V and SunOS/Solaris systems that provided the ability to use the set-GID bit on a directory to allow the user to choose the desired behavior, but it is certainly possible that some others do.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Raid control vs scsi for operating system

I was trying to get a server using a raid controller card up and running. I could not get the card configured right so i just installed the system strait onto a scsi drive. Questions? Is is nescessary to have the operating system on raid? Pros/Cons Is it really difficult to go back later... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: macdonto
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Control system

I want to check system memory Usage of CPU and disk and report number of free disk block in Sun Solaris How can I do Help me thks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iwbasts
2 Replies

3. Programming

Revision Control Sw

Hi All, Please let me know any freeware revision control software name and URL. Any response is highly appreciated. OS: Solaris 5.10 Thanks, Naga:cool: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Who has "Solaris 10 Advanced System Administration(SA-202-S10)" latest revision doc?

Dear All, I am going to examine SA202 but I got SA-202-S10 revision A.1 so it might be out of date. Who has "Solaris 10 Advanced System Administration(SA-202-S10)" latest revision document? Could you share it ? Thank you in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Operating System Revision Level

Hi i am trying to find the operating system revsion level and know i can use the 'uname -a' commmand i just wanted to know what part of the output displays this? Also what command can i use to display the cpu run queue? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: warlock129
1 Replies

6. Solaris

root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass)

I have message "root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass)" after Solaris 10 boots up. Why it appears ? thx for help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
3 Replies

7. AIX

/tmp/man18809436: Invalid file system control data detected

/tmp/man18809436: Invalid file system control data detected Help me what do I do? Если знаете русскии, пишите на нем. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: islily
2 Replies
IDENT(1)						      General Commands Manual							  IDENT(1)

NAME
ident - identify files SYNOPSIS
ident file ... DESCRIPTION
Ident searches the named files for all occurrences of the pattern $keyword:...$, where keyword is one of Author Date Header Locker Log Revision Source State These patterns are normally inserted automatically by the RCS command co (1), but can also be inserted manually. Ident works on text files as well as object files. For example, if the C program in file f.c contains char rcsid[] = "$Header: Header information $"; and f.c is compiled into f.o, then the command ident f.c f.o will print f.c: $Header: Header information $ f.o: $Header: Header information $ IDENTIFICATION
Author: Walter F. Tichy, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 47907. Revision Number: 3.0 ; Release Date: 82/12/04 . Copyright (C) 1982 by Walter F. Tichy. SEE ALSO
ci (1), co (1), rcs (1), rcsdiff(1), rcsintro (1), rcsmerge (1), rlog (1), rcsfile (5). Walter F. Tichy, "Design, Implementation, and Evaluation of a Revision Control System," in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Software Engineering, IEEE, Tokyo, Sept. 1982. BUGS
Purdue University 6/29/83 IDENT(1)