Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Revision Control System
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Revision Control System Post 302763389 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 30th of January 2013 02:13:07 AM
Old 01-30-2013
@Don, but the same would be the case on virtually any Unix/Linux system, no? Perhaps setgid was not set on the directories involved in the new Linux environment..

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 01-30-2013 at 03:34 AM..

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Raid control vs scsi for operating system

I was trying to get a server using a raid controller card up and running. I could not get the card configured right so i just installed the system strait onto a scsi drive. Questions? Is is nescessary to have the operating system on raid? Pros/Cons Is it really difficult to go back later... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: macdonto
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Control system

I want to check system memory Usage of CPU and disk and report number of free disk block in Sun Solaris How can I do Help me thks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iwbasts
2 Replies

3. Programming

Revision Control Sw

Hi All, Please let me know any freeware revision control software name and URL. Any response is highly appreciated. OS: Solaris 5.10 Thanks, Naga:cool: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Who has "Solaris 10 Advanced System Administration(SA-202-S10)" latest revision doc?

Dear All, I am going to examine SA202 but I got SA-202-S10 revision A.1 so it might be out of date. Who has "Solaris 10 Advanced System Administration(SA-202-S10)" latest revision document? Could you share it ? Thank you in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Operating System Revision Level

Hi i am trying to find the operating system revsion level and know i can use the 'uname -a' commmand i just wanted to know what part of the output displays this? Also what command can i use to display the cpu run queue? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: warlock129
1 Replies

6. Solaris

root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass)

I have message "root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass)" after Solaris 10 boots up. Why it appears ? thx for help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
3 Replies

7. AIX

/tmp/man18809436: Invalid file system control data detected

/tmp/man18809436: Invalid file system control data detected Help me what do I do? Если знаете русскии, пишите на нем. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: islily
2 Replies
CHOWN(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						  CHOWN(8)

NAME
chown -- change file owner and group SYNOPSIS
chown [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-fhv] owner[:group] file ... chown [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-fhv] :group file ... DESCRIPTION
chown sets the user ID and/or the group ID of the specified files. The options are as follows: -H If the -R option is specified, symbolic links on the command line are followed. (Symbolic links encountered in the tree traversal are not followed.) -L If the -R option is specified, all symbolic links are followed. -P If the -R option is specified, no symbolic links are followed. -R Change the user ID and/or the group ID for the file hierarchies rooted in the files instead of just the files themselves. -f Don't report any failure to change file owner or group, nor modify the exit status to reflect such failures. -h If file is a symbolic link, the owner and/or group of the link is changed. -v Cause chown to be verbose, showing files as they are processed. The -H, -L and -P options are ignored unless the -R option is specified. In addition, these options override each other and the command's actions are determined by the last one specified. The -L option cannot be used together with the -h option. The owner and group operands are both optional, however, one must be specified. If the group operand is specified, it must be preceded by a colon (``:'') character. The owner may be either a user name or a numeric user ID. The group may be either a group name or a numeric group ID. Since it is valid to have a user or group name that is numeric (and doesn't have the numeric ID that matches its name) the name lookup is always done first. Pre- ceding an ID with a ``#'' character will force it to be taken as a number. The ownership of a file may only be altered by a super-user for obvious security reasons. Unless invoked by the super-user, chown clears the set-user-id and set-group-id bits on a file to prevent accidental or mischievous creation of set-user-id and set-group-id programs. The chown utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
Previous versions of the chown utility used the dot (``.'') character to distinguish the group name. This has been changed to be a colon (``:'') character so that user and group names may contain the dot character. SEE ALSO
chflags(1), chgrp(1), find(1), chown(2), lchown(2), fts(3), symlink(7) STANDARDS
The chown command is expected to be POSIX 1003.2 compliant. The -v option and the use of ``#'' to force a numeric lookup are extensions to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). BSD
December 9, 2005 BSD