Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unzipping .Z file in UNIX
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unzipping .Z file in UNIX Post 302763325 by zazzybob on Tuesday 29th of January 2013 11:09:52 PM
Old 01-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam_Halder

Hi

gzip -d worked. Thanks anyway.
On a modern *nix system, gzip -d will do the work of older utilities such as uncompress - from man gzip

Code:
gunzip can currently decompress files created by gzip, zip, compress, compress -H  or  pack.

Cheers,
ZB
This User Gave Thanks to zazzybob For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unzipping problems in Unix

Hi, I have a zip file in a unix file system that contains approximately 1000000 files. I would like to unzip this file. When I use unzip, the unzip command starts extracting the files , but after extracting 65535 files, I am getting the following error. "note: didn't find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: narayanan0
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unzipping .zip file on HP and Solaris

I am transferring a large .zip file (20 GB) from an NT server to HP-UX and Solaris servers. Originally I tried to use info-zip's unzip, but I found out pretty quickly that it does not support files over 4GB. Any suggestions on how to work around this problem? Different decompression utility?... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search a pattern inside a zipped file ie (.gz file) with out unzipping it

How to search a pattern inside a zipped file ie (.gz file) with out unzipping it? using grep command.. Bit urgent.. pls..help me (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senraj01
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reading a zipped file without unzipping it?

Dear all, I would like to ask how i can read a zipped file (file.gz) without actually unzipping it? i think there is a way to do so but i can't remember it.. can anyone help? thanks in advance.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marwan
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Alter zip file without unzipping

I have some zip files. Every file has a "folder/xml file" inside it. Is there any way to change these zip files directly without unzipping them. I want to convert these zip files to "/xml file" (want to move the xml file/s one root up by removing the folder inside it.) Ex: -bash-3.00$ for file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: _prasad
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unzipping latest zip file by name.

I have these zip files that come in with the same name, but different versions. We'll say: SQL_version2.zip SQL_version3.zip SQL_version2432.zip I was wondering if there is a single command (or even piped command, thus still making it a single command) that will let me unzip the latest... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
3 Replies

7. Linux

unzipping file > 2gb

I am not able to unzip file greater then 2gb, Any suggestions how to do that in linux? Regards, Manoj (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unzipping the file

I have my folder structure like a file a.zip is placed in one folder. Inside a.zip is two other zip files x.zip and y.zip If i unzip x.zip i have folder a folder z and inside folder z there are different folders with event time appended to it. Inside the every event folder ,I have a sub folder... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: weknowd
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking if file exists and unzipping

Hey, I am new to scripting and was wondering what is wrong with this if statement. I want to check if file exists and the if it does to unzip it. I program it as follows if ; then gunzip *_filename.gz fi Thanks in advance! Please use code tags next time for your code and data. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mostarac2487
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error when unzipping a file with extension .gz

I am trying to unzip a file with name D_R_38957222_20111410.txt.gz using the below command. gunzip D_R_38957222_20111410.txt.gz However, I am getting the following error while using the gunzip command as below... gunzip: D_R_38957222_20111410.txt.gz: invalid compressed data--crc error ... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
24 Replies
alias(1)						      General Commands Manual							  alias(1)

NAME
alias - Defines or displays aliases SYNOPSIS
alias [-tx] [alias-name[=string...]] Note The C shell has a built-in version of the alias command. If you are using the C shell, and want to guarantee that you are using the com- mand described here, you must specify the full path /usr/bin/alias. See the csh(1) reference page for a description of the built-in com- mand. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: alias: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] Sets or lists tracked aliases. [Tru64 UNIX] Sets or lists exported aliases. Note See the ksh(1) reference page for a description of tracked and exported aliases. OPERANDS
Prints the alias definition on standard output. Assigns the value of string to the alias alias-name. If no options and no operands are specified, all alias definitions are printed on standard output. DESCRIPTION
The alias utility creates or redefines alias definitions or writes the values of existing alias definitions to standard output. An alias definition provides a string value that replaces a command name when it is encountered. An alias definition affects the current shell execution environment and the execution environments of the subshells of the current shell. When used as described, the alias definition will not affect the parent process of the current shell nor any utility environment invoked by the shell. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] This reference page describes the creation and maintenance of aliases. See the Command Aliasing section of the ksh(1) or sh(1p) reference pages for the description of alias substitution. RESTRICTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] If you use either the -t option or the -x option, you must use at least one alias-name or alias-name=string operand. [Tru64 UNIX] Aliasing is performed when scripts are read, not while they are executed. Therefore, for an alias to take effect, the alias definition command has to be executed before the command that references the alias is read. [Tru64 UNIX] Aliases can be used to redefine special built-in commands but cannot be used to redefine the reserved words listed in the ksh(1) reference page. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion. One of the name operands specified did not have an alias definition, or an error occurred. EXAMPLES
Change ls to give annotated output in columns: alias ls="ls -CF" Create a simple redo command to repeat previous entries in the command history file: alias r='fc -s' Cause du to use 1K units instead of the default 512-bytes: alias du=du -k Set up nohup so that it can deal with an argument that is itself an alias name: alias nohup="nohup " ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of alias: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, override the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MES- SAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), unalias(1) Standards: standards(5) alias(1)