Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Kill all proceess with the name XXX Post 302763013 by fpmurphy on Tuesday 29th of January 2013 10:58:49 AM
Old 01-29-2013
Have a look at the pkill manpage.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete a file from XXX.tar.Z

Hi All can u please let me know how to delete a file from XXX.tar.Z file with out uncompressing this file. thanks in advance. --Bali (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xxx.tar.gz error

Hi All, We have taken data backup using gzip but when we try to restore from ex:xxx.tar.gz file got below error. invalid compressed data--crc error and invalid compressed data--length error How to recover my original data. Thanks in advance for your suggestion (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep XXX that not followed by YYY

I want to grep all lines containing blocking sess= that are not followed by 0x0 cat trace.log blocking sess=0x0 blocking sess=0x0 rrrr...... blocking sess=121 blocking sess=0x0 blocking sess=0x0 blocking sess=0x0 some other lines blocking sess=001 blocking sess=0x0 blocking sess=0x1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynixon
6 Replies

5. AIX

echo $varibla | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" not ruuning as expected

Hi Folks, As per the subject, the following command is not working as expected. echo $variable | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" Could anyone figure it out whats wrong with this. I am using AIX box. Regards, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjarms
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting entries starting with xxx

Hello, I am trying to extract all words (entries) from a file beginning with 123. For example: ververv ewfaafa 123asd 4334j fdgfgf fdfdssd 123890 xxxxx eeee sss 1234 sdfsf were sfs fbdsdfb fsdg sdgfsd bfg sdfb dsfb sdfg sdf ergerg 123pop sdfgdfg 123ww 123qq dffg Desired output: 123asd... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: palex
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Gnome3 locksup on new Linux kernel 12.6.xxx & 12.5.xxx

Hi Forum Ive been having a problem with the kernal(s) for some strange reason it every time I try and access the date and time/calendar or system settings it locks up the whole laptop and nothing responds. :(. This doesn't happen 11.10.xxx kernel . Any help would be much appreciated and thank you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ShinTec
1 Replies
killall(1M)															       killall(1M)

NAME
killall - kill all active processes SYNOPSIS
[signal] DESCRIPTION
is a procedure used by to kill all active processes not directly related to the shutdown procedure. is chiefly used to terminate all processes with open files so that the mounted file systems are no longer busy and can be unmounted. sends the specified signal to all user processes in the system, with the following exceptions: the process; all processes (including background processes) associated with the terminal from which was invoked; any process, if owned by any process, if owned by any process; any process; any process. obtains its process information from and therefore may not be able to perfectly identify which processes to signal (see ps(1)). If no signal is specified, a default of (kill) is used. is invoked automatically by The use of is recommended over using by itself (see shutdown(1M)). FILES
SEE ALSO
fuser(1M), kill(1), ps(1), shutdown(1M), signal(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
killall(1M)