Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting (awk?) print multiple lines on one line Post 302762315 by Yoda on Monday 28th of January 2013 10:28:43 AM
Old 01-28-2013
Code:
awk 'BEGIN{FS=","}/^-/&&/report/&&!/^records/{gsub(/[-]+/,"");ORS=FS;}/^records/{ORS=" "}/^-/&&!/report/{$0="";ORS=RS;}1' filename

Last edited by Yoda; 01-28-2013 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: regex correction

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print multiple lines with awk

Hi everyone! I'm not new to Unix, but I've never used awk before. I tried to look up this information on several sites and forums, I also looked in the documentation but I haven't found a solution yet. I would like to print the previous 3 lines before and the following 4 lines after the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: djcsabus
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk find a string, print the line 2 lines below it

I am parsing a nagios config, searching for a string, and then printing the line 2 lines later (the "members" string). Here's the data: define hostgroup{ hostgroup_name chat-dev alias chat-dev members thisisahostname } define hostgroup{ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mglenney
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK print lines into multiple files

Hi, i have an input text file like this: Student 1 maths science = Student 2 maths science = Student 3 maths science i would like to print each student information into separate files, each student id is separated by "=". (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saint2006
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't print multiple lines inside awk :(

Hi Friends, I have small issue with following code snippet. I am trying call one function inside awk in which the function inturn will echo few lines. However when i ran script its throwing an error saying "nawk: syntax error at source line 1". #!/bin/sh eval input=$@ while read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shahul
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines between two strings multiple occurencies (with sed, awk, or grep)

Hello, I can extract lines in a file, between two strings but only one time. If there are multiple occurencies, my command show only one block. Example, monfichier.txt contains : debut_sect texte L1 texte L2 texte L3 texte L4 fin_sect donnees inutiles 1 donnees inutiles 2 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: theclem35
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print pattern match line and following lines

Data: Pattern Data Data Data Data Data Data Data Data Data ... With awk, how do I print the pattern matching line, then the subsequent lines following the pattern matching line. Varying number of lines following the pattern matching line. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmesserly
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: print lines with one of multiple pattern in the same field (column)

Hi all, I am new to using awk and am quickly discovering what a powerful pattern-recognition tool it is. However, I have what seems like a fairly basic task that I just can't figure out how to perform in one line. I want awk to find and print all the lines in which one of multiple patterns (e.g.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: elgo4
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the first line for each multiple lines

Hi all, i need help to extract each first line from multiple lines occurrences based on different patterns (name) starting from the fourth lines like follows:- // header 1 header 2 header 3 // no acc name score rank //... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print multiple lines on one line

Hi All, I have a file looks like: rst:singh:99.0.20-X86 2 rst:ACSI_SIN_SERVICES rst:singh:99.0.20-X86 2 rst:ACSI_BISI want to wrap 3rd col in one line and add variable value at start and ending of line and I wrote command: cat file | awk '{print $3}' | xargs > command.txt sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshtomar82
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

(n)awk: print regex search output lines in one line

Hello. I have been looking high and low for the solution for this. I seems there should be a simple answer, but alas. I have a big xml file, and I need to extract certain information from specific items. The information I need can be found between a specific set of tags. let's call them... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tobias-Reiper
2 Replies
DPKG-AWK(1)						      General Commands Manual						       DPKG-AWK(1)

NAME
dpkg-awk - Utility to read a dpkg style db file SYNOPSIS
dpkg-awk [(-f|--file) filename] [(-d|--debug) ##] [(-s|--sort) list] [(-rs|--rec_sep) ??] '<fieldname>:<regex>' ... -- <out_fieldname> .. DESCRIPTION
dpkg-awk Parses a dpkg status file (or other similarly formatted file) and outputs the resulting records. It can use regex on the field values to limit the returned records, it can also be told which fields to output, and it can sort the matched fields. OPTIONS
-f filename --file filename The file to parse. The default is /var/lib/dpkg/status. -d [#] --debug [#] Each time this is specified, it increased the debug level. -s field(s) --sort field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields to sort on. -n field(s) --numeric field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields that should be interpreted as numeric in value. -rs ?? --rec_sep ?? Output this string at the end of each output paragraph. -h --help Display some help. fieldname The fields from the file, that are matched with the regex given. The fieldnames are case insensitive. out_fieldname The fields from the file, that are output for each record. If the first field listed begins with ^, then the list of fields that follows will NOT be output. BUGS
Be warned that the author has only a shallow understanding of the dpkg packaging system, so there are probably tons of bugs in this pro- gram. This program comes with no warranties. If running this program causes fire and brimstone to rain down upon the earth, you will be on your own. This program accesses the dpkg database directly in places, querying for data that cannot be gotten via dpkg. AUTHOR
Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> DEBIAN
Debian Utilities DPKG-AWK(1)