Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Extract part of a string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract part of a string Post 302762281 by newbie2010 on Monday 28th of January 2013 10:01:27 AM
Old 01-28-2013
Solved!

Thanks for everyone's help on this. I was able to compose a perl command to get exactly what I needed:

Code:
|perl -ne 'print  /.*(\bInfo.bptm\(pid......).*/' | tr -d "(Info=bzspid"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract Part of string from 3rd field $3 using AWK

I'm executing "wc -lc" command in a c shell script to get record count and byte counts and writing them to a file. I get the result with the full pathname of the file. But I do not want the path name to be printed in the output file. I heard that using Awk we can get this but I don't have any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stakuri
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract a part of file name

Hi, I want to extract a part of filename and pass it as a parameter to one of the scripts. Could someone help. File name:- NLL_NAM_XXXXX.XXXXXXX_1_1.txt. Here i have to extract only XXXXX.XXXXXXX and the position will be constant. that means that i have to extract some n characters from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract last part of string.

Hi, I have a string like this BUNDLE=/home/bob/flx/user.bun how to extract only the the last part ie, only user.bun (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vprasads
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract one part from whole output

Hi All, I am trying to write a small shell programming to get db2 database size info. The command I am going to use is- db2 "CALL GET_DBSIZE_INFO(?, ?, ?, -1)" and the output of above command generally is- Value of output parameters -------------------------- Parameter Name :... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract a certain part of a line

Hi friends, I want to select and use the certain part of a line. For example I have the following line home/1245/hgdf/acsdf/myhome/afolder/H2O/endfile how can I extract the part " /myhome/afolder/H2O/endfile " thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with extract particular part of data

Input file <data> <temporary>qe2qrqerq qwewqeqwrqwrq qrerwrewrwer </temporary> </data> <sample>@!@##%#</sample> <info>12345</info> <content>2313214141454</content> <data> <temporary>qe2qrqerq qrerwrewrwer </temporary> <content>123214214523</content> </data>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract part of string using sed

Hi, I have the following string and I need to extract the date from it: TextHere,2012/07/11,1 I tried using sed: sed -n 's#^.*\({4}/{2}/{2}\).*$#\1#p' But it doesn't return anything. The following line doesn't even return '2012': sed -n 's/^.*\({4}\).*$/\1/p' I used to use grep -o... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract number part from the string in ksh 88

I have to extract number part (Date and timestamp part ) from the following 3 strings AB_XYZA_20130930183017.log AB_DY_XYZA_20130930183017.log AB_GZU_20130930183017.log Output should be 20130930183017 Please help me to get the string like above Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help to extract part of the string

Hi, I have a string with name as 20140412-s1-Potopolive_promos_20140412. So I want to extract only Potopolive string. Could you please help me the command. O/p : Potopolive Thx in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lkeswar
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract part of string from all log files.?

Hi All, Let us say we have 5 log files, extract the data from all log files and save the output in a file. home/log/first.log home/log/second.log home/log/third.log home/log/four.log home/log/five.log I want to extract the following text from the log files and save the output in a file.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
7 Replies
fmt(1)								   User Commands							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - simple text formatters SYNOPSIS
fmt [-cs] [-w width | -width] [inputfile...] DESCRIPTION
fmt is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the -w width option. The default width is 72. fmt concatenates the inputfiles listed as arguments. If none are given, fmt formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. fmt does not fill nor split lines beginning with a `.' (dot), for compatibility with nroff(1). Nor does it fill or split a set of contiguous non-blank lines which is determined to be a mail header, the first line of which must begin with "From". Indentation is preserved in the output, and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless -c is used). fmt can also be used as an in-line text filter for vi(1). The vi command: !}fmt reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. OPTIONS
-c Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph, and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. -s Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such formatted text, from being unduly combined. -w width | -width Fill output lines to up to width columns. OPERANDS
inputfile Input file. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for a description of the LC_CTYPE environment variable that affects the execution of fmt. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
The -width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SunOS 5.10 9 May 1997 fmt(1)