Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Split the file with renaming. Post 302762105 by Satish Shettar on Monday 28th of January 2013 05:36:27 AM
Old 01-28-2013
I think I did not asked my query properly, and the list of the files caused an confusion.

let me reiterate.

The files list provided above are created in the dir /data/OAS/rcap/

the script should be able to pick the file one by one and split. by having the suffix originalfilename.seg** where ** could be numbers or alphabetics.

later the split files should be gzipped by removing the original file.

---------- Post updated at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:04 PM ----------

Hi Pikk45,.

I think I did not asked my query properly, and the list of the files caused an issue.

let me reiterate.

The files list provided above are created in the dir /data/OAS/rcap/

the script should be able to pick the file one by one and split. by having the suffix originalfilename.seg** where ** could be numbers or alphabetics.

later the split files should be gzipped by removing the original file.

Could you let me know the changes accordingly.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a file with no pattern -- Split, Csplit, Awk

I have gone through all the threads in the forum and tested out different things. I am trying to split a 3GB file into multiple files. Some files are even larger than this. For example: split -l 3000000 filename.txt This is very slow and it splits the file with 3 million records in each... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a file

I am a complete Unix newbie and I need some help! (Please...) I need to rename a file from the following format: Test_Test_EAR_1234.ear To the following: Test_Test_EAR.ear In other words, I need to remove everything after & including the final underscore up to the "." What is the best... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeloLisa
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a file use another file as a sequence calling a shl

have this shl that will FTP a file from the a directory in windows to UNIX, It get the name of the file stored in this variable $UpLoadFileName then put in the local directory LocalDir="${MPATH}/xxxxx/dat_files" that part seems to be working, but then I need to take that file and rename, I am using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rechever
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File renaming from list of names contained in another file

I have to rename a large number of files so that the name of each file corresponds to a code number that is given side by side in a list (textfile). The list contains in column A the filename of the actual files to be renamed and in column B the name (a client code, 9 digits) that has to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: netfreighter
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming files using split with a delimiter

I have a directory of files that I need to rename by splitting the first and second halves of the filenames using the delimiter "-O" and then renaming with the second half first, followed by two underscores and then the first half. For example, natfinal1995annvol1_14.pdf -O filenum-20639 will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swimulator
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file

Hello, I have an outstanding issue..Iam on linux and using a putty to connect to my server and then fire our unix shell script. At location /usr/sam a file called "er 1 32.txt" out boss transfer via application. From my end on terminal when i want to transfer this file to some other location... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_panky
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with Renaming a file

I have a file named as Pro_PatAct_MMDDYYYY.csv. I need to renmae it to this Pro_PatAct.csv without the date timestamp. Can someone help me to achieve this using a regular expn. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: imran_affu
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming the default output name of the split command

Hello, I would like to split a file but I dont what the subfiles to be named the way they are: ex: default name: xaa xab xac xad xae desired name: b01 b02 b03 b04 b05 I know I can rename them afterwards however I have a varialbe split lenghth, in other words I am not sure how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarones
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming File

Hi there, I have 350 files in this directory: /home/adams/29 that was mistakenly renamed in this format: TTFILE_BIT_638478.txt.dat I want to take out the trailing .dat so that it ends in .txt: TTFILE_BIT_638478.txt I need help please. Thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Creems
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file and check for the renamed file existence

Hi Am trying to move a file from one name to another When I do "ls" to check for the moved filename I can see the file but when I try the same with a script am unable.. I think am doing some pretty silly error.. please help.. toMove=`ls | grep -E "partition.+"` mv $toMove partition._org... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
7 Replies
ZNEW(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   ZNEW(1)

NAME
znew - recompress .Z files to .gz files SYNOPSIS
znew [ -ftv9PK] [ name.Z ... ] DESCRIPTION
Znew recompresses files from .Z (compress) format to .gz (gzip) format. If you want to recompress a file already in gzip format, rename the file to force a .Z extension then apply znew. OPTIONS
-f Force recompression from .Z to .gz format even if a .gz file already exists. -t Tests the new files before deleting originals. -v Verbose. Display the name and percentage reduction for each file compressed. -9 Use the slowest compression method (optimal compression). -P Use pipes for the conversion to reduce disk space usage. -K Keep a .Z file when it is smaller than the .gz file SEE ALSO
gzip(1), zmore(1), zdiff(1), zgrep(1), zforce(1), gzexe(1), compress(1) BUGS
Znew does not maintain the time stamp with the -P option if cpmod(1) is not available and touch(1) does not support the -r option. ZNEW(1)