Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: If statement explanation
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers If statement explanation Post 302760259 by Yoda on Wednesday 23rd of January 2013 05:25:57 PM
Old 01-23-2013
Here are the list of conditional expressions used with if

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

explanation of this line

Hi Gurus, sqlplus system @$1 0</opt/oracle/pwdfile What would be the output of the above life....the password for the user "system" the user is stored in /opt/oracle/pwdfile When i try to run the script it says password not found? $1 0< What is the meaning of the $1 and 0? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: castlerock
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tr explanation please

how does below tr command replace nonletters with newlines? I think I understand tr -cs '\n' part.. but what is A-Za-z\' <--- what is this?? tr -cs A-Za-z\' '\n' | -c --complement -s, --squeeze-repeats replace each input sequence of a repeated character that is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tr explanation please

how does below tr command replace nonletters with newlines? I think I understand tr -cs '\n' part.. but what is A-Za-z\' <--- what is this?? tr -cs A-Za-z\' '\n' | -c --complement -s, --squeeze-repeats replace each input sequence of a repeated character that is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
1 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

need explanation

Hi am having a c pgm. It has the include files (unistd.h,sys/types.h,win.h,scr.h,curses.h,stdarg.h and color.h). I don't know the purpose of these include files. will u plz explain me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mari.kb
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement - How to write a null statement

In my ksh script, if the conditions of a if statement are true, then do nothing; otherwise, execute some commands. How do I write the "do nothing" statement in the following example? Example: if (( "$x"="1" && "$y"="a" && "$z"="happy" )) then do nothing else command command fi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: april
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How is use sselect statement o/p in insert statement.

Hi All, I am using Unix ksh script. I need to insert values to a table using the o/p from a slelect statement. Can anybody Help! My script looks like tihs. ---`sqlplus -s username/password@SID << EOF set heading off set feedback off set pages 0 insert into ${TB_NAME}_D... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkosaraju
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

In need of explanation

Its great someone provided this script that strips out a filename and extension but can someone explain how each line works? file1='Jane Mid Doe.txt' newfile='Jane.txt' 1) ext=${file1##*.} 2) filename=${file%%.???} 3) set -- $filename 4) newfile="1.$extension" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lillyt
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explanation of print statement - awk

Hi, i'm just after a simple explanation of how the following awk oneliner works. gawk -F"," '{for(i=m;i<=n;i++)printf "%s" OFS,$i; print x}' m=1 n=70 OFS=, input.csv > output.csv In particular i'm trying to understand how the two print statements work? How is the "x" variable being assigned... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: theflamingmoe
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need explanation

Hi, I need more explination on it, how it works abcd="$(echo "$abcd" | sed 's/ //g')" >> ${LOGFILE} 2>&1 can any one suggest me on this? Rgds, LKR (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lakshmanraok
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies
LDP Introduction(ldp)													     LDP Introduction(ldp)

NAME
LDP - Intro to the Linux Documentation Project, with help, guides and documents SYNOPSIS
The Linux Documentation Project (LDP) provides a variety of free documentation resources including guides, FAQs, HOWTOs, and man-pages to the Linux community. AUTHORS
The various documents in the LDP archives are maintained by individual authors, and are listed in the beginning of each HOWTO. If you have any questions or inputs to a document we encourage you to contact the authors directly. WEB PAGES
The LDP has its own dedicated web site as do many of the various translations projects which are linked from the main LDP web site at http://www.LinuxDoc.org/ which you may wish to bookmark. MAN PAGES
A web page with status information for manual pages and translations is found at http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/man/ MAILING LISTS
LDP has a number of mailing lists, mostly of use to authors: <ldp-announce@lists.LinuxDoc.org> Announcements from the LDP project <ldp-discuss@lists.LinuxDoc.org> General discussion on the LDP project To join these lists send a mail with a body of "subscribe" to <ldp-announce-request@lists.LinuxDoc.org> or <ldp-discuss-request@lists.Lin- uxDoc.org> respectively. These mailing lists are also archived at the LinuxDoc site. FILES
Most distributions include the HOWTOs and mini-HOWTOs in the installation /usr/doc/ (old place for documentation) /usr/share/doc/ (new place for documentation) /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/ (HOWTO files) /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/mini/ (mini-HOWTO files) SEE ALSO
man(1), xman(1x), info(1) info pages as read with emacs(1) or info(1) LDP
2001-11-15 LDP Introduction(ldp)