Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Retrieving line number from grep Post 302759987 by balajesuri on Wednesday 23rd of January 2013 07:42:24 AM
Old 01-23-2013
For in-file editing (be wary while doing this):
Code:
sed -i 's/pattern/replacement/' file.txt

This User Gave Thanks to balajesuri For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is there any why to get the number of line in grep result ?

Hello all when I do simple grep on file im getting the results of "filename : stringResult " is there any way to present also the line number in the file ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get Filename and Line Number using grep

Hi, I am using the Korne shell to try and get the filename, line number and the line of text using grep e.g. find ./ -type f -name "*.java" -exec grep -nf test.txt '{}' \; (test.txt contains strings to search) will return the line number and the line of text. grep -l would return the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ceemh3
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep the string with the line number

Dear Masters, Here i have some doubts can anyone clarify?. Is it possible to grep the lines by specifying the line numbers. I know the line number which i want to grep. example: grep 40th line filename grep 50th line filename Need ur comments. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: salaathi
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a number from a line in ksh

In file.name, I have a line that reads $IDIR/imgen -usemonths -dropcheck -monitor -sizelimit 80000000 -interval 120 -volcal HSI How can I get the size limit, i.e. 80000000 out and pass it to a variable called SIZE? Thanks. I tried echo "grep sizelimit file.name" | sed -n -e... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rodluo
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep to extract line number

I'm trying to use grep to get the line number only. This is the command I'm using: grep -n "Content-Disposition: attachment" mbox The output I get is: 45:Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="test.txt" So now I just want to get the line number (45) from this output. Can someone... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskarica
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the line number from a grep ?

Hi there does anybody know how i can get the line number from an entry or entries in a file ?? for example if i had a file test1 test2 test3 test1 and i needed to get the line numbers for all instances of test1 in that file with the answer being (1,4) Would anybody be able... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find out line number of matching string using grep

Hi all, I want to display line number for matching string in a file. can anyone please help me. I used grep -n "ABC" file so it displays 6 ABC. But i only want to have line number,i don't want that it should prefix matching context with line number. Actually my original... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Line number of an occurrence using grep

Hi All, is there a way to extract the line number of an occurrence using grep? I know that with the -n option it prints out the line number as well. I would like to assign the line number to a variable. Thanks, Sarah (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to grep a number from output line

I`m having a output shown below, CFR 235,BBC DM-2 ALL CFR 111,BBC DM-2 ALL CFR 333,BBC DM-2 ALL from the above Output i want to use 235,111,333 as input for other purpose. these no always change every time i run script.so please suggest me the way i could do it with example,i have tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin_aaa27
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep line btn Number

HI Guys, I want grep Below line from a huge file. 01 01 -094.6 -093.3 -095.8 -094.0 01.3/01.3 18.1/18.7 I want to grep line which have data between -60 to -200 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
4 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)