Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Gunzip tar A directory checksum error on media Post 302759571 by MichaelFelt on Tuesday 22nd of January 2013 02:34:56 PM
Old 01-22-2013
1) I prefer bzip2 to gzip - seems to work better
2) gzip -t xxx.gz # test gzip file itself

Now, normal tar may not like a file larger than 2G and this may be your issue.

A program I recently learned about is GNU tar - needed it to unpack an archive, and I have packaged it for AIX at http://dl.aixtools.net/tools/aixtool....1.26.0.0.I.xz

This is stored as an xz archive, so you will need xz to unpack it, or also load xz for AIX from http://dl.aixtools.net/tools/aixtool...owerpc.5.0.3.I

p.s. using xz to pack will take longer, but should be smaller.
p.p.s. gtar unpacks as /opt/bin/tar - so to have it as your default - change your PATH variable. Your post mentioned tar.1.14 - so I am guessing both are GNU tar, and mine is a newer version.

Hope this helps (and that I am not breaking any rules by posting to a place where I put things - if so, admins please be nice, I am not intending to break any rules)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Combination of gunzip and tar on Solaris

Hello I'm trying to use a combination of gunzip and tar to unpack and unzip a *.tar.gz file. I tried gunzip ~/myfile.tar.gz | gtar -x This will unzip the file, but it won't unpack. Any hints? thanks a lot Dan (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwidmer
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar and gunzip piping

I am using IRIX 6.5.11 and tcsh. I have created an arcihive by using the command "tar -cvf - /stuff/ /more/stuff|gzip --best>/stuff.tar.gz" It made an archive of my files without taking up huge amounts of disk space with uncompressed files. How do I extract files from the archive without... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madyodacolon
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

directory checksum error

Display warnning:directory checksum error in the end of Decompress the bag (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: renrongwen
0 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Directory is Same but Checksum is different

Hello, I am performing a checksum on our software we have installed on a unix solaris 2.0 os. If the checksum generated report is not the same as a 'Gold' report we have on disk. Then our software is deleted, and reinstalled. The problem I am having is if you run the program again, the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JustinPyfrom
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retaining tar.gz after gunzip

gunzip fnam.tar.gz After this command execution... .gz file no longer exists... and only fnam.tar is present. Is it possible to retain the tar.gz file after after using the above command thx in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: devs
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

directory checksum error

Hi, I have a tar file with naed ass bcs.tar.gz downlaoded to my work station and It contains all the .c files and .o which i needed. when i am trying to unzip this one i am facing directory checksum error. What does it mean.How to resolve this. I tried with tar -xf and tar -tvf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagan_kalluri
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Elegant gunzip of tar Contents

I am faced with a situation where I have directories of gunzipped contents bundled into a tar file. It might look something like this. x coop/batch/bin/ha90x20.gz, 632641 bytes, 1236 tape blocks x coop/batch/icm/HA90X20.icm.gz, 1821 bytes, 4 tape blocks x coop/batch/aeenv.gz, 4117 bytes, 9 tape... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

"directory checksum error" when attempting to install tcl

OS: HP-UX Programs I want to install: expect and tcl I'm lost. I bought the book. I began reading the book. I want to install expect. I've been able to download the .z, and extract it successfully. But, of course, it apparently needs tcl and possibly tk also, and ... I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: instant000
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gunzip - Directory size

Hello, Directory name : FIRST ( 28 files - directory size 27043 Mo ) Here is what I ve done : tar cvf FIRST.tar FIRST Then gzip FIRST.tar So far evrything's fine then, I've used GUNZIP and extract the TAR. I used DIFF to check if there is no difference between files (extrat Vs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aswex
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Gunzip and tar command

Hi I wanted to tar and gunzip a file named backup tar: backup.tar: Wrote only 2244 of 10240 bytes tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now Please tell me what I am doing wrong? Please do help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonia102
4 Replies
RDUP-TR(1)							       rdup								RDUP-TR(1)

NAME
rdup-tr - transform rdup output SYNOPSIS
rdup-tr [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Transform rdup output into something else. Where something else can be a tar, cpio, pax archive or another rdup stream. The rdup archive must be given on rdup-tr's standard input. You can select multiple types of output (-O flag), but you must be aware that you may loose some information in formats other than rdup's own, see the table below. You may also supply rdup-tr with only a list of pathnames, this can be selected with the -L flag. The following table shows what happens with the output depending on the input. 0 OK D delete information is lost H hardlink information is lost | | output | tar,cpio,pax | rdup input | | ------------- | ------------- | ------ rdup | D | 0 filelist | DH | H | | OPTIONS
-L Select list input format. Normally rdup-tr accepts rdup output, with this option you can give it a list of path names. Note: with list input rdup-tr will `stat()` each file. -O Output format. This can be 'tar', 'cpio', 'pax' or 'rdup'. It defaults to 'rdup'. -X key Read the encryption key from the file key and encrypt all paths with Blowfish and this key and iv. After the encryption the binary data is converted into ASCII using an URL safe (Section 4 of RFC 3548) version of base64 encode. The encryption key must be on the first line and the key size must be 16 and 8 bytes for the iv, so 24 in total. -Y key Read the decryption key from the file key and decrypt all paths with Blowfish and this key. Before the encryption the paths are con- verted to binary by using an URL safe version of base64 decode. -c Force output to the tty. Normally rdup-tr wants to see it's output redirected. -v Be more verbose. -V Print rdup-tr's version. -h A short help. EXAMPLES
The following is possible rdup -Pgzip -Pmcrypt,-f,KEY,-c /dev/null /home | rdup-tr -O tar -X<(echo secret) | gzip > my-home-zipped-crypted-pathcrypted-tar.gz That is: all files under /home are gzipped and encrypted on a per file basis (first line). Further more, all pathnames are Blowfish encrypted (second line) with the key 'secret'. This is put in a tar file, which is then compressed, resulting in the final output (final line). Creating a compressed and encrypted tar archive out of a full rdup dump might be done as follows rdup -Pgzip -Pmcrypt,-f,KEY,-c /dev/null /home | rdup-tr -O tar > my-home-zipped-and-crypted.tar Or even pack and unpack it on the fly rdup -Pgzip -Pmcrypt,-fKEY,-c /dev/null /home | rdup-tr -Otar | ssh user@remotehost tar xvCf /tmp - Or encryption with openssl rdup -Popenssl,enc,-e,-des-cbc,-k,secret /dev/null /home Or, compressing with gzip, encrypting with openssl and then compressing the entire archive yet again rdup -Pgzip -Popenssl,enc,-e,-des-cbc,-k,secret /dev/null /home | gzip > my_compressed_encrypted_rdup_archive.gz Recreating the original rdup output, which can be fed to rdup-up. gunzip -c my_compressed_encrypted_rdup_archive.gz | rdup-tr -Popenssl,enc,-d,-des-cbc,-k,secret -Pgzip,-d > my_rdup_archive rdup-up < my_rdup_archive -t /tmp/restore Notice the reversal of the -P options. EXIT CODE
rdup-tr return a zero exit code on success, otherwise 1 is returned. AUTHOR
Written by Miek Gieben. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <miek@miek.nl>. SEE ALSO
http:/www.miek.nl/projects/rdup/ is the main site of rdup. Also see rdup(1), rdup-up(1) and rdup-backups(7). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005-2010 Miek Gieben. This is free software. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Licensed under the GPL version 3. See the file LICENSE in the source distribution of rdup. 1.1.11 27 Nov 2008 RDUP-TR(1)