Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk-sed help : to remove first and last line with pattern match: Post 302759567 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 22nd of January 2013 02:28:52 PM
Old 01-22-2013
Try:
Code:
grep '/dev/d'

Code:
grep -v '/dev/vg'

--
or, if it needs to be only on the 1st and the last line:
Code:
sed '1{\|/dev/vg|d;}; ${//d;}' infile

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 01-22-2013 at 03:35 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Replace Line which contains the Pattern match with a new line

I need to replace the line containing "STAGE_DB" with the line "STAGE_DB $DB # database that contains the table being loaded ($workingDB)" Here $DB is passed during the runtime. How can I do this? Thanks, Kousikan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kousikan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to know how to replace a line after a pattern match with an empty line using SED

Hi How Are you? I am doing fine! I need to go now? I will see you tomorrow! Basically I need to replace the entire line containing "doing" with a blank line: I need to the following output: Hi How Are you? I need to go now? I will see you tomorrow! Thanks in advance.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sags007_99
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print pattern match line and following lines

Data: Pattern Data Data Data Data Data Data Data Data Data ... With awk, how do I print the pattern matching line, then the subsequent lines following the pattern matching line. Varying number of lines following the pattern matching line. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmesserly
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting content between match pattern and move on with awk and sed

S 0.0 0.0 (reg, inst050) k e f d c S 0.0 0.0 (mux, m030) k g r s x v S 0.0 0.0 (reg, inst020) q s n m (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctphua
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern match with awk/sed - help

I need to grep for the pattern text inside the square brackets which are in red and not in green..my current code greps patterns both of them, which i don't want Input fileref|XP_002371341.1| oxoacyl-ACP reductase, putative gb|EPT24759.1| 3-ketoacyl-(acyl-carrier-protein) reductase ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk; pattern match, remove and re write

the following pattern match works correctly for me awk '/name="Fruits"/{f=1;next} /"name=Vegetables"/{f=0} f' filename This works well for me. Id like to temporarily move the match out of the file ( > newfile) and be able to stick it back in the same place at a later time. Is this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TY718
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine lines from line with pattern match to a line that ends in a pattern

I am trying to combine lines with these conditions: 1. First line starts with text of "libname VALUE db2 datasrc" where VALUE can be any text. 2. If condition1 is met then continue to combine lines through a line that ends with a semicolon. 3. Ignore case when matching patterns and remove any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wes Kem
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove newline chars based on pattern mis-match

Greetings Experts, I am in AIX; I have a file generated through awk after processing the input files. Now I need to replace or remove the new-line characters on all lines that doesn't have a ; which is the last character on the line. I tried to use sed 's/\n/ /g' After checking through the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get range out using sed or awk, only if given pattern match

Input: START OS:: UNIX Release: xxx Version: xxx END START OS:: LINUX Release: xxx Version: xxx END START OS:: Windows Release: xxx Version: xxx ENDHere i am trying to get all the information between START and END, only if i could match OS Type. I can get all the data between the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dharmaraja
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with sed to combine lines and remove specific odd # pattern from line

In the awk piped to sed below I am trying to format file by removing the odd xxxx_digits and whitespace after, then move the even xxxx_digit to the line above it and add a space between them. There may be multiple lines in file but they are in the same format. The Filename_ID line is the last line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)