Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Copying stickbits
Operating Systems Solaris Copying stickbits Post 302757613 by ossupport55 on Thursday 17th of January 2013 07:16:10 PM
Old 01-17-2013
Copying stickbits

Hello everyone,
I have tried copying a directory having a sticky bit set to another directory. The source directory was copied with the sticky bit but the contents (i.e: other files and directories) within the directory which another user had created changed ownership to show as i had created it.This is disturbing.
How can i copy files across directories and at the same time retain the original permissions including special permissions.The contents are within my home_dir.
command i used was :
Code:
sudo find . -depth | cpio -pudmv ~/cpio_test

NB: I managed to get away with it when i copied it using root.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 01-17-2013 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: code tags

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying

I am using AIX version 5.1 I would like to copy my log files to another directory and timestamp them or add the date to the file name so I can distinguish them apart and keep 4weeks of files in this directory. so I usally do this cp rptlog /dump/backup.log.files I would like the the file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
5 Replies

2. Programming

copying a file

hello, i have to copy a file from one directory to another directory in linux. how to do this using a c function? kindly ans to my query. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: svh
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying a file to another

hi group... needed some help regarding this requirement actually we have a set of zip files in a server we have two types of zip files one as usual .zip extension and one with .zip_m extension... we need to copy the files from .zip_m extension to .zip extension with same file name ... it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu_aqua14
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying file

is there anyway to copy a file which i don't have permission? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dakid
1 Replies

5. Programming

Copying!

Can anybody point out the difference between shallow copying, deep copying and bitwise copying in C++? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: areef4u
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please, I need help with copying a file.

Hello. I don't know much about UNIX. Here is a problem I need to resolve. There is a file "file1.txt". It contains the line "End Of Copy" somewhere in the middle. I need to copy file1.txt to another file, "file2.txt" until this line. So, if the "file1.txt" is Line 1 Line 2 Line 3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eugene
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying only the file name

Hi I just want to copy the file name from the input file. Below is the code I have used but the answer comes with quotation . $ cat test.sh file_name=\'$1\' echo $file_name $ sh test.sh grants.dat 'grants.dat' How do I remove the quotation Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krishnaramjis
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying with a certain extension

trying to copy all the files without extension then add "*.txt" but its not working is there any other way and i do not want to use cpio -vdump just want to use copy command FROM=/usr/share/doc TO=/aleza/doc #the follow function copies all the files without extensions call(){ cd $FROM... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elginmulizwa
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in copying the file once

hi all , i had a following problem in my script filename=oas/data/output.txt printf"content1" >> $filename printf"content2" >> $filename printf"content3" >> $filename printf"content4" >> $filename printf"content5" >> $filename printf"content6" >> $filename my contents are different... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
6 Replies
sticky(5)						Standards, Environments, and Macros						 sticky(5)

NAME
sticky - mark files for special treatment DESCRIPTION
The sticky bit (file mode bit 01000, see chmod(2)) is used to indicate special treatment of certain files and directories. A directory for which the sticky bit is set restricts deletion of files it contains. A file in a sticky directory can only be removed or renamed by a user who has write permission on the directory, and either owns the file, owns the directory, has write permission on the file, or is a privi- leged user. Setting the sticky bit is useful for directories such as /tmp, which must be publicly writable but should deny users permission to arbitrarily delete or rename the files of others. If the sticky bit is set on a regular file and no execute bits are set, the system's page cache will not be used to hold the file's data. This bit is normally set on swap files of diskless clients so that accesses to these files do not flush more valuable data from the sys- tem's cache. Moreover, by default such files are treated as swap files, whose inode modification times may not necessarily be correctly recorded on permanent storage. Any user may create a sticky directory. See chmod for details about modifying file modes. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), chmod(2), chown(2), mkdir(2), rename(2), unlink(2) BUGS
The mkdir(2) function will not create a directory with the sticky bit set. SunOS 5.10 1 Aug 2002 sticky(5)