Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare File & Copy Replace if Successful Post 302755745 by RudiC on Monday 14th of January 2013 09:09:42 AM
Old 01-14-2013
When programming, you should always strive for the most efficient (ressources, time, ...) code if the correct functionality allows. In the case above, logging in twice to the remote system is quite wasteful, so try to use sth. like ls -l /.../backup?... to get the two (or more) sizes in one go. Assigning them to variables can be done later on the local host.
BTW - if you want to base your decision to copy or not on the file size, the -h option to ls is the worst you can do - the differences will be lumped together to Megs or Gigs but you need to be aware of every single byte change!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare & replace contents within a file

I have 2 files file1 1 TMQUEUE QUE1 STMW633A 100 DMADM DOMGRPSTMW633A STMW633A 100 GWADM GWTGRPSTMW633A STMW633A 100 GWADM GWTGRPSTMW633AA STMW633A 100 GWADM GWTGRPSTMW638A STMW638A 100 TMSYSEVT EVTGRPSTMW633A STMW633A 100 TMSYSEVT ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaustubh137
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML Copy & replace problem

I probably could have done this at one time, but, the years and no need has left my scripting skills lacking and I'm unable to work this problem out. https://www.unix.com/images/smilies/frown.gif :( Using Linux, have a great many xml files in which there may be multiple occurrence of a line of... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: xenixuser
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I search first&second string & copy all content between them to other file?

Hi All, How do I search first string & second string and copy all content between them from one file to another file? Please help me.. Thanks In Advance. Regards, Pankaj (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajp
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare 2 files & get specific value & replace it in other file.

Hiiii Friends I have 2 files with huge data. I want to compare this 2 files & if they hav same set of vales in specific rows & columns i need to get that value from one file & replace it in other. For example: I have few set data of both files here: a.dat: PDE-W 2009 12 16 5 29 11.11 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: reva
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace & with & xml file

Hello All I have a xml file with many sets of records like this <mytag>mydata</mytag> <tag2>data&</tag2> also same file can be like this <mytag>mydata</mytag> <tag2>data&</tag2> <tag3>data2&amp;data3</tag3> Now i can grep & and replace with &amp; for whole file but it will replace all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokaish23
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

copy & replace text

how can i copy a certain word from a text file then use this word to replace in another text file?? i tried to use something like: awk '{print "Hit the",$1,"with your",$2}' /aaa/qqqq.txt > uu.txt but i can't add an argument to point to the second file which i will replace in. please... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mos33
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare & Copy Directories : Bash Script Help

Beginner/Intermediate shell; comfortable in the command line. I have been looking for a solution to a backup problem. I need to compare Directory 1 to Directory 2 and copy all modified or new files/directories from Directory 1 to Directory 3. I need the directory and file structure to be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rod
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confirm the execution of copy command is successful or not

All, I have to copy huge file from one location to another using python . I want to make sure the execution of Copy command is successful and all the files are copied properly (there has not been any abrupt interruption to the copy process or error like no space available is encountered during... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file size and then copy/overwrite

// Redhat I have this code working, but need to add one more qualification so that I don't overwrite the files. #!/bin/sh cd /P2/log/cerner_prod/millennium/archive/ for f in * do || continue #If this isn't a regular file, skip it. && continue #If a backup already... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file dates before copy

Sometimes when I boot, my system goes into emergency mode. I then use Clonezilla to restore an image. Usually the image is older than the current date. This is part of a backup script that runs as a startup program. cd /home/andy/bin/ zip -u -q Ubuntu_Scripts.zip *.sh *.rb *.c *.py... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
22 Replies
BDB.DB0(5)							AFS File Reference							BDB.DB0(5)

NAME
bdb.DB0, bdb.DBSYS1 - Contain the Backup Database and associated log DESCRIPTION
The bdb.DB0 file contains the Backup Database, which records configuration information used by the AFS Backup System along with cross- indexed records of the tapes created and volumes dumped using the Backup System commands. The bdb.DBSYS1 file is a log file in which the Backup Server (buserver process) logs each database operation before performing it. When an operation is interrupted, the Backup Server replays the log to complete the operation. Both files are in binary format and reside in the /var/lib/openafs/db directory on each database server machine that runs the Backup Server. When the Backup Server starts or restarts on a given machine, it establishes a connection with its peers and verifies that its copy of the bdb.DB0 file matches the copy on the other database server machines. If not, the Backup Servers use AFS's distributed database technology, Ubik, to distribute to all of the machines the copy of the database with the highest version number. Use the commands in the backup suite to administer the Backup Database. It is advisable to create a backup copy of the bdb.DB0 file on tape on a regular basis, using the UNIX tar command or another local disk backup utility. SEE ALSO
backup(8), backup_savedb(8), buserver(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BDB.DB0(5)