Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to use variable inside array? Post 302755219 by Jayavinoth on Saturday 12th of January 2013 08:47:42 AM
Old 01-12-2013
Linux How to use variable inside array?

I tried to use variable inside an array variable, but its not working as expected.Smilie
Code:

ENV1[0]=123
ENV1[1]=789
ENV1[2]=120
ENV2[0]=567
if [ $1 -eq 1 ]
then
name=ENV1
echo "${name[0]}"
echo "${name[1]}"
echo "${name[2]}"
else
name=ENV1
echo "${name[1]}"
fi

Output: ./val.sh 1
<blank line>

123 is for "${name[0]}" and blank line is for "${name[1]}". I want 789 for "${name[1]}" and 120 for "${name[2]}" as output.

Please help to get the correct output and i am a beginner. Thanks

Last edited by Jayavinoth; 01-12-2013 at 09:54 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: A part of variable A's name is inside of variable B, how to update A?

This is what I tried: vara=${varb}_count (( vara += 1 )) Thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa3be
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping a array inside inside ssh is not working, pls help

set -A arr a1 a2 a3 a4 # START ssh -xq $Server1 -l $Username /usr/bin/ksh <<-EOS integer j=0 for loop in ${arr} do printf "array - ${arr}\n" (( j = j + 1 )) j=`expr j+1` done EOS # END ========= this is not giving me correct output. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

split and making an array inside another array

I want to run an awk split on a value that has been pushed through an array and I was wondering what the syntax should be?? e.g. running time strings through an array and trying to examine just minutes: 12:25:30 10:15:13 08:55:23 awk ' NR==FNR{ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using array inside awk

Hi All, I have the following code sequence for reading some bulk file and moving the content to two different arrays. while read data do THREEG_PATTERN=`echo $data | egrep "3G"` if then NEW_THREEG_PATTERN=`echo $THREEG_PATTERN | cut -d " " -f2` ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable inside variable inside loop headache

Hi Gurus I have a file called /tmp/CMDB which looks like this serial: 0623AN1208 hostname: server1 model: x4100 assetID: 1234 I am writing a for loop that will go through this file line by line creating a variable of itself. Using the first iteration of the loop (i.e. the first line) as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print array values whose name is inside a variable

I have a array as CArray=( a1 a2 ) and a1,a2,a3 are also array as: a1=(1 2 3) a2=(3 4 5) now I have this in my code: for i in `echo "${CArray}"` do echo ${$i} done It is giving error as :"bad substitution" It should give me value as 1 2 3 3 4 5 how can I get this...Can u please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshilalit2004
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

unique inside array

I have a file root@server # cat /root/list12 11.22.33.44 22.33.44.55 33.44.55.66 33.44.55.66 33.44.55.66 I try to pass to array and display unique. root@server# cat /root/test12.sh #!/bin/bash #delcare array badips and accumulate values to array elemenrs badips=( $( cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK one-liner. Need to employ an If condition inside AWK to check for array variable ?

Hello experts, I'm stuck with this script for three days now. Here's what i need. I need to split a large delimited (,) file into 2 files based on the value present in the last field. Samp: Something.csv bca,adc,asdf,123,12C bca,adc,asdf,123,13C def,adc,asdf,123,12A I need this split... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Array inside sed

Hi guys Let me at first describe the whole thing that I'm trying to do. Lets say I have 100 files like the following one. Ow 1230 16.000000 -0.834000 16.083957 1.751652398 -17.20094528 -4.450623277 Hw 1231 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saleheen
6 Replies
variable(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						       variable(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
variable - create and initialize a namespace variable SYNOPSIS
variable ?name value...? name ?value? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command is normally used within a namespace eval command to create one or more variables within a namespace. Each variable name is initialized with value. The value for the last variable is optional. If a variable name does not exist, it is created. In this case, if value is specified, it is assigned to the newly created variable. If no value is specified, the new variable is left undefined. If the variable already exists, it is set to value if value is specified or left unchanged if no value is given. Normally, name is unqualified (does not include the names of any containing namespaces), and the variable is created in the current namespace. If name includes any namespace qualifiers, the variable is created in the specified names- pace. If the variable is not defined, it will be visible to the namespace which command, but not to the info exists command. If the variable command is executed inside a Tcl procedure, it creates local variables linked to the corresponding namespace variables (and therefore these variables are listed by info vars.) In this way the variable command resembles the global command, although the global command only links to variables in the global namespace. If any values are given, they are used to modify the values of the associated namespace variables. If a namespace variable does not exist, it is created and optionally initialized. A name argument cannot reference an element within an array. Instead, name should reference the entire array, and the initialization value should be left off. After the variable has been declared, elements within the array can be set using ordinary set or array commands. EXAMPLES
Create a variable in a namespace: namespace eval foo { variable bar 12345 } Create an array in a namespace: namespace eval someNS { variable someAry array set someAry { someName someValue otherName otherValue } } Access variables in namespaces from a procedure: namespace eval foo { proc spong {} { # Variable in this namespace variable bar puts "bar is $bar" # Variable in another namespace variable ::someNS::someAry parray someAry } } SEE ALSO
global(n), namespace(n), upvar(n) KEYWORDS
global, namespace, procedure, variable Tcl 8.0 variable(n)