Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Why doesn't this work?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Why doesn't this work? Post 302755097 by scribling on Friday 11th of January 2013 07:18:02 PM
Old 01-11-2013
Not quite understanding ...

I need something that will find the "blablabla..aep Logs" directories and move them into a hidden directory called .LogFiles in their parent directory. I also need it to work on many directories under the current. So that it does not move all "blablabla..aep Logs" to one single directory.

I have a bash script that does this but I have to designate in variable each directory to be processed.
mkdir "$dir01"/.LogFiles
mv -f "$dir01"/*.aep\ Logs "$dir01"/.LogFiles/

I want to do it without having to change the script variables.

Could I accomplish this with a bash script?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why doesn't this work?

cat .servers | while read LINE; do ssh jason@$LINE $1 done exit 1 ./command.ksh "ls -l ~jason" Why does this ONLY iterate on the first server in the list? It's not doing the command on all the servers in the list, what am I missing? Thanks! JP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpeery
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls -d doesn't work on Solaris

Hello, the ls -d command to only list directories in a directory doesn't seem to work on Solaris and the man command says to use that combination: ls -d Anyone have the same problem and find a resolve? Thanks BobK (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobk544
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lp -o <option> doesn't work

why lp -o <option> doesn't work on my SCO Unix. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wendyz
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk -v -- Why doesn't my example work?

Hi. I've been playing around a bit. This isn't for any practical purpose-- it's really just a theoretical exercise. I wrote this little thing: foreach num ( 6 5 4 ) awk -v "number=$num" 'BEGIN{for(x=0;x<$number;x++) printf "-"; printf "\n"}' end I would expect the following output: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

alias doesn't work

Hi I have put alias ll='ls -la' in .profile file but it doesn't work. On hand it works it looks like the .profile file is not beeing read. How to check whitch file is loaded? ,profile? .bash_profile? My system: SunOS mion 5.10 Generic Shell: /bin/pfksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miojamo
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

if condition doesn't work

i want to get the value for column 4rth when i =4. please guide what i am doing wrong. thanks var=`cat file.csv` for i in $var; do { if ; then var4=$var4+$i fi echo $i } done I am geting this error message "0403-009 The specified number is not valid for this command." (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagii
8 Replies

8. HP-UX

Sudo doesn't work

I edited sudoers like this:vi /etc/sudoers subex ALL =(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/ccs/bin/pstack But the respective user still is prompted for password, and even when the right password is used, the command is still not launched.$sudo usr/ccs/bin/pstack 26557 We trust you have received the usual... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

-ne 0 doesn't work -le does

Hi, I am using korn shell. until ] do echo "\$# = " $# echo "$1" shift done To the above script, I passed 2 parameters and the program control doesn't enter inside "until" loop. If I change it to until ] then it does work. Why numeric comparison is not working with -ne and works... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab_2010
3 Replies
BASHBUG(1)						      General Commands Manual							BASHBUG(1)

NAME
bashbug - report a bug in bash SYNOPSIS
bashbug [--version] [--help] [email-address] DESCRIPTION
bashbug is a shell script to help the user compose and mail bug reports concerning bash in a standard format. bashbug invokes the editor specified by the environment variable EDITOR on a temporary copy of the bug report format outline. The user must fill in the appropriate fields and exit the editor. bashbug then mails the completed report to bug-bash@gnu.org, or email-address. If the report cannot be mailed, it is saved in the file dead.bashbug in the invoking user's home directory. The bug report format outline consists of several sections. The first section provides information about the machine, operating system, the bash version, and the compilation environment. The second section should be filled in with a description of the bug. The third sec- tion should be a description of how to reproduce the bug. The optional fourth section is for a proposed fix. Fixes are encouraged. ENVIRONMENT
bashbug will utilize the following environment variables if they exist: EDITOR Specifies the preferred editor. If EDITOR is not set, bashbug defaults to emacs. HOME Directory in which the failed bug report is saved if the mail fails. TMPDIR Directory in which to create temporary files and directories. SEE ALSO
bash(1) AUTHORS
Brian Fox, Free Software Foundation bfox@gnu.org Chet Ramey, Case Western Reserve University chet@po.cwru.edu GNU Bash-4.0 1998 July 30 BASHBUG(1)