Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Can I change the partition type with fdisk without disrupting data? Post 302754863 by s ladd on Friday 11th of January 2013 10:09:36 AM
Old 01-11-2013
Can I change the partition type with fdisk without disrupting data?

Hello,
I have been going through our environment and I see we have a few servers with LVM's setup and the file system type is still set to "83" within fdisk. If I change this to "8e", will it hurt the data or cause any loss? I need to know for sure before I make the change.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

recovery partition table from fdisk?

I have two disks on a sun blade 100. I just installed a solaris8 on the first disk. The installation was successful. But the problem is now I lost all data / partition on my second hard disk. The possible reason could be: 1. I used default web start install. During the installation I didn't... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: motor98
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change the contraints type of fields in database

how to disable the contraint type of a field (which is present in diffrent tables ) in database using a single unix script file. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaksing
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

change file type to hidden using chmod command

I want to make a hidden file with chmod command. Example: I have a file name inputfile.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 xxxxxx xxxxxx 1388 Sep 12 05:41 inputfile.txt I want to hide that file using chmod command. Please tell me if it is possible or there is some other way to do this. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove /dev/sdb partition using fdisk - BY ACCIDENT!

Hello everyone - Please forgive me if I violate the forum's etiquette as this is my very first post. I'm posting this on both the dummies and the advance section with the hope for any responses. I stumbled on this forum while frantically looking for an answer to a dumb, ignorant thing I did... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevindoman
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remove /dev/sdb partition using fdisk - BY ACCIDENT!

Hello everyone - Please forgive me if I violate the forum's etiquette as this is my very first post. I'm posting this on both the dummies and the advance section with the hope for any responses. I stumbled on this forum while frantically looking for an answer to a dumb, ignorant thing I did... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevindoman
5 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Programatically change which opens a file type

Hi there, If we have 2 apps on our customers machines that can both open files of a certain file extension, is there any way via shell commands to set which application should be the default? Essentially, I'm hoping to replicate Get Info > Open With > Change All, but using a script. Thanks... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: davewg
0 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Partition management: lvm? fdisk? parted? (on RAID)

Hello, I have a RHEL system with two 500GB hard drives in RAID 1 (I think hardware, but not 100% certain - any way to tell?). It looks like it was just set up in default configuration with a small boot partition and one huge partition for the rest, which composes a LVM volume. I want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: builder88
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Non-interactive fdisk partition in script

Hi, How can I run fdisk partition in a script without interactive input? In manual procedure, I run fdisk device, select n, select p, presess enter for default start number (1), press enter to default end number, then select w for writing to the partition table. The command looks like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
3 Replies

9. BSD

OpenBSD fdisk - Linux fdisk compatibility ?

Hello, MBR partition table made by linux fdisk looks certainly not correct when printed by openbsd fdisk: Partition table created on linux (centos 6.3): # fdisk -l /dev/sdc Disk /dev/sdc: 10.7 GB, 10737418240 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1305 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 *... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change partition name in rhel

Can I change the filesystem in redhat w/o reformating it? For example /dev/sda2 145G 188M 137G 1% /uo1 /dev/sdb1 289G 191M 274G 1% /uo2 /dev/sdb2 289G 191M 274G 1% /uo3 uo1, uo2, uo3 shuld be u01, u02, u03. No one is using the server yet. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies
RESIZE2FS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      RESIZE2FS(8)

NAME
resize2fs - ext2 file system resizer SYNOPSIS
resize2fs [ -d debug-flags ] [ -f ] [ -F ] [ -p ] device [ size ] DESCRIPTION
The resize2fs program will resize ext2 file systems. It can be used to enlarge or shrink an ext2 file system located on device so that it will have size blocks. If the size parameter is not specified, it will default to the size of the partition. The size parameter may never be larger than the size of the partition. The resize2fs program does not manipulate the size of partitions. If you wish to enlarge a filesystem, you must first make sure you can expand the size of the underlying partition first. This can be done using fdisk(8) by deleting the partition and recreating it with a larger size. When recreating the partition, make sure you create it with the same starting disk cylinder as before! Otherwise, the resize operation will certainly not work, and you may lose your entire filesystem. If you wish to shrink an ext2 partition, first use resize2fs to shrink the size of filesystem. Then you may use fdisk(8) to shrink the size of the partition. When shrinking the size of the partition, make sure you do not make it smaller than the new size of the ext2 filesystem! OPTIONS
-d debug-flags Turns on various resize2fs debugging features, if they have been compiled into the binary. debug-flags should be computed by adding the numbers of the desired features from the following list: 1 - Print out all disk I/O 2 - Debug block relocations 8 - Debug inode relocations 16 - Debug moving the inode table -p Prints out a percentage completion bars for each resize2fs operation, so that the user can keep track of what the program is doing. -f Forces resize2fs to proceed with the filesystem resize operation, overriding some safety checks which resize2fs normally enforces. -F Flush the filesystem device's buffer caches before beginning. Only really useful for doing resize2fs time trials. AUTHOR
resize2fs was written by Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu>. COPYRIGHT
Resize2fs is Copyright 1998 by Theodore Ts'o and PowerQuest, Inc. All rights reserved. As of April, 2000 Resize2fs may be redistributed under the terms of the GPL. SEE ALSO
fdisk(8), e2fsck(8), mke2fs(8) E2fsprogs version 1.32 November 2002 RESIZE2FS(8)