Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Finding a path like /dir1/dir1 Post 302754401 by in2nix4life on Thursday 10th of January 2013 02:12:35 PM
Old 01-10-2013
It would work if you use the match (=~) operator instead:

Code:
tryme=/dir1/dir1/
if [[ $tryme =~ ^\/*\/.*[\/]$ ]]; then echo "error";else echo "no error";fi
error

tryme=/dir1/dir1
if [[ $tryme =~ ^\/*\/.*[\/]$ ]]; then echo "error";else echo "no error";fi
no error

This User Gave Thanks to in2nix4life For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding current working dir path

Hi Folks, In a Unix (ksh) script, is there a way to determine the current working directory path of another logged-in user? Of course, I can use "pwd" to find my own path. But, how do I find it for another active user? Thanks for any input you can provide. LY (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: liteyear18
6 Replies

2. IP Networking

finding the java path in AIX

How to retrieve the path of Java bin directory in AIX (or any unix OS)?? Actually my problem is, I have a jar file called App.jar. I want to execute it by calling the javaw executable. My command is "/usr/java130/javaw -jar App.jar". I've written this command into a shell script. Now,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fermisoft
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding duplicate files by size and finding pattern matching and its count

Hi, I have a challenging task,in which i have to find the duplicate files by its name and size,then i need to take anyone of the file.Then i need to open the file and find for more than one pattern and count of that pattern. Note:These are the samples of two files,but i can have more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome Sukumar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding relative path of a file

I have to relatively get the path of a file to use it in the script. The directory structure is /export/opt/XTools/ and under this there are several version directories - 1.0_A0, 1.0_A1, 1.0_A2 etc.,. The actual file is under these directories: installscript.sh My script should pickup the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding path of a running script

Hi, I just want to know any code by which i can get the path of the script which i am running. This is required to store the output in the same directory from where the script is running. pwd fails if I give absolute path of script from some other directory. Thanks in advance Puneet (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: puneet
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding a file in its path

I have a file that has multiple entries within the Unix system. Korn shell scripts are calling this file (also a ksh) with a . in front of it, and I'm trying to determine which file it is using based on the $PATH by finding where it is located first. Any suggestion on how to go about this?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavineq
2 Replies

7. Programming

Finding the path of the C program

Hi All, I have a c program called findPath.c in a path /home/harsh/c-Programs/. How can i find the path where the program is stored at runtime?? I have given the following #include<stdio.h> int main() { system("dirname $0"); return 0; } This is resulting in the output as . <single dot... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreeharshasn
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a script/program on $PATH

I am trying to put together a script to find a requested script or program on the user's search path. Am trying to replace the colons separating the parts of a path with a newline to let xargs pass the directories to a list command, but I haven't gotten that far. This is my progress: echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
7 Replies

9. Solaris

Finding the path to an executable , installed package

Hi all, Recently i wanted to see if i have openssl installed in my system (solaris 10), so i do this (not sure if this is the right way to do this) pkginfo -i | grep -i "ssl" system SUNWopenssl-commands OpenSSL Commands (Usr) system SUNWopenssl-include ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to see the logical volume path, device mapper path and its corresponding dm device path

Currently I am using this laborious command lvdisplay | awk '/LV Path/ {p=$3} /LV Name/ {n=$3} /VG Name/ {v=$3} /Block device/ {d=$3; sub(".*:", "/dev/dm-", d); printf "%s\t%s\t%s\n", p, "/dev/mapper/"v"-"n, d}' Would like to know if there is any shorter method to get this mapping of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies
DirCompare(3pm) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   DirCompare(3pm)

NAME
File::DirCompare - Perl module to compare two directories using callbacks. SYNOPSIS
use File::DirCompare; # Simple diff -r --brief replacement use File::Basename; File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, sub { my ($a, $b) = @_; if (! $b) { printf "Only in %s: %s ", dirname($a), basename($a); } elsif (! $a) { printf "Only in %s: %s ", dirname($b), basename($b); } else { print "Files $a and $b differ "; } }); # Version-control like Deleted/Added/Modified listing my (@listing, @modified); # use closure to collect results File::DirCompare->compare('old_tree', 'new_tree', sub { my ($a, $b) = @_; if (! $b) { push @listing, "D $a"; } elsif (! $a) { push @listing, "A $b"; } else { if (-f $a && -f $b) { push @listing, "M $b"; push @modified, $b; } else { # One file, one directory - treat as delete + add push @listing, "D $a"; push @listing, "A $b"; } } }); DESCRIPTION
File::DirCompare is a perl module to compare two directories using a callback, invoked for all files that are 'different' between the two directories, and for any files that exist only in one or other directory ('unique' files). File::DirCompare has a single public compare() method, with the following signature: File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, $sub, $opts); The first three arguments are required - $dir1 and $dir2 are paths to the two directories to be compared, and $sub is the subroutine reference called for all unique or different files. $opts is an optional hashref of options - see OPTIONS below. The provided subroutine is called for all unique files, and for every pair of 'different' files encountered, with the following signature: $sub->($file1, $file2) where $file1 and $file2 are the paths to the two files. For 'unique' files i.e. where a file exists in only one directory, the subroutine is called with the other argument 'undef' i.e. for: $sub->($file1, undef) $sub->(undef, $file2) the first indicates $file1 exists only in the first directory given ($dir1), and the second indicates $file2 exists only in the second directory given ($dir2). OPTIONS The following optional arguments are supported, passed in using a hash reference after the three required arguments to compare() e.g. File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, $sub, { cmp => $cmp_sub, ignore_unique => 1, }); cmp By default, two files are regarded as different if their contents do not match (tested with File::Compare::compare). That default behaviour can be overridden by providing a 'cmp' subroutine to do the file comparison, returning zero if the two files are equal, and non-zero if not. E.g. to compare using modification times instead of file contents: File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, $sub, { cmp => sub { -M $_[0] <=> -M $_[1] }, }); ignore_cmp If you want to see all corresponding files, not just 'different' ones, set the 'ignore_cmp' flag to tell File::DirCompare to skip its file comparison checks i.e. File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, $sub, { ignore_cmp => 1 }); ignore_unique If you want to ignore files that only exist in one of the two directories, set the 'ignore_unique' flag i.e. File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, $sub, { ignore_unique => 1 }); SEE ALSO
File::Dircmp, which provides similar functionality (and whose directory walking code I've adapted for this module), but a simpler reporting-only interface, something like the first example in the SYNOPSIS above. AUTHOR AND CREDITS
Gavin Carr <gavin@openfusion.com.au> Thanks to Robin Barker for a bug report and fix for glob problems with whitespace. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2006-2007 by Gavin Carr. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2010-03-02 DirCompare(3pm)