Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare File & Copy Replace if Successful Post 302754217 by SalientAnimal on Thursday 10th of January 2013 08:43:35 AM
Old 01-10-2013
Linux Compare File & Copy Replace if Successful

Hi All,

I have written a shell script that creates a backup of my MySQL database. The script performs the following functions:
  1. Creates a Backup of the MySQL database
  2. Compresses the Backup
  3. Copies the Backup to a Remote Server
  4. Send an E-Mail displaying the size of the Backup
  5. Removes any left over files on the source server not needed.
What the script doesn't do, but what I need it to do:
  1. Check the newly created Backup against the existing backup on the remote server
  2. If the new backup is smaller than the old backup, send a WARNING Notification via e-mail / sms.
  3. If the new backup is larger or equal in size to the old backup, replace the old backup on the remote server with the new backup and then send the successful notification stated in point 4.
Thanks, any help here is really appreciated

Operating systems being used:
Source Server: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
Destination Server: Fedora release 13 (Goddard)

Last edited by SalientAnimal; 01-10-2013 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: Adding OS versions

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare & replace contents within a file

I have 2 files file1 1 TMQUEUE QUE1 STMW633A 100 DMADM DOMGRPSTMW633A STMW633A 100 GWADM GWTGRPSTMW633A STMW633A 100 GWADM GWTGRPSTMW633AA STMW633A 100 GWADM GWTGRPSTMW638A STMW638A 100 TMSYSEVT EVTGRPSTMW633A STMW633A 100 TMSYSEVT ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaustubh137
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML Copy & replace problem

I probably could have done this at one time, but, the years and no need has left my scripting skills lacking and I'm unable to work this problem out. https://www.unix.com/images/smilies/frown.gif :( Using Linux, have a great many xml files in which there may be multiple occurrence of a line of... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: xenixuser
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I search first&second string & copy all content between them to other file?

Hi All, How do I search first string & second string and copy all content between them from one file to another file? Please help me.. Thanks In Advance. Regards, Pankaj (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajp
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare 2 files & get specific value & replace it in other file.

Hiiii Friends I have 2 files with huge data. I want to compare this 2 files & if they hav same set of vales in specific rows & columns i need to get that value from one file & replace it in other. For example: I have few set data of both files here: a.dat: PDE-W 2009 12 16 5 29 11.11 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: reva
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace & with & xml file

Hello All I have a xml file with many sets of records like this <mytag>mydata</mytag> <tag2>data&</tag2> also same file can be like this <mytag>mydata</mytag> <tag2>data&</tag2> <tag3>data2&amp;data3</tag3> Now i can grep & and replace with &amp; for whole file but it will replace all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokaish23
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

copy & replace text

how can i copy a certain word from a text file then use this word to replace in another text file?? i tried to use something like: awk '{print "Hit the",$1,"with your",$2}' /aaa/qqqq.txt > uu.txt but i can't add an argument to point to the second file which i will replace in. please... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mos33
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare & Copy Directories : Bash Script Help

Beginner/Intermediate shell; comfortable in the command line. I have been looking for a solution to a backup problem. I need to compare Directory 1 to Directory 2 and copy all modified or new files/directories from Directory 1 to Directory 3. I need the directory and file structure to be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rod
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confirm the execution of copy command is successful or not

All, I have to copy huge file from one location to another using python . I want to make sure the execution of Copy command is successful and all the files are copied properly (there has not been any abrupt interruption to the copy process or error like no space available is encountered during... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file size and then copy/overwrite

// Redhat I have this code working, but need to add one more qualification so that I don't overwrite the files. #!/bin/sh cd /P2/log/cerner_prod/millennium/archive/ for f in * do || continue #If this isn't a regular file, skip it. && continue #If a backup already... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file dates before copy

Sometimes when I boot, my system goes into emergency mode. I then use Clonezilla to restore an image. Usually the image is older than the current date. This is part of a backup script that runs as a startup program. cd /home/andy/bin/ zip -u -q Ubuntu_Scripts.zip *.sh *.rb *.c *.py... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
22 Replies
BACKUP_DELDUMP(8)					       AFS Command Reference						 BACKUP_DELDUMP(8)

NAME
backup_deldump - Deletes a dump level from the Backup Database SYNOPSIS
backup deldump -dump <dump level name> [-localauth] [-cell <cell name>] [-help] backup deld -d <dump level name> [-l] [-c <cell name>] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The backup deldump command deletes the indicated dump level and all of its child dump levels from the dump hierarchy in the Backup Database. Use the backup listdumps command to display the dump hierarchy. OPTIONS
-dump <dump level name> Specifies the complete pathname of the dump level to delete. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more details, see backup(8). -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command deletes the dump level "/sunday1/monday1" from the dump hierarchy, along with any of its child dump levels. % backup deldump /sunday1/monday1 PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on every machine where the Backup Server is running, or must be logged onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. SEE ALSO
backup(8), backup_adddump(8), backup_listdumps(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUP_DELDUMP(8)