Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help to check header
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help to check header Post 302753769 by bakunin on Wednesday 9th of January 2013 10:26:31 AM
Old 01-09-2013
It looks like your headers are differently spaced and i suppose this will not count as a difference, right?

If so: first get the headers (line 1 always?) and change all the spacings to a single blank, then compare them ("<b>" and "<t>" mean blank/tab characters):

Code:
header1="$(sed -n '1 s/[<b><t>][<b><t>]*/<b>/gp' file1)"
header2="$(sed -n '1 s/[<b><t>][<b><t>]*/<b>/gp' file2)"

if [ "$header1" != "$header2" ] ; then
     print - "Headers not matching"
else
     print - "Headers OK"
fi

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Reading the header of a tar file(posix header)

say i have these many file in a directory named exam. 1)/exam/newfolder/link.txt. 2)/exam/newfolder1/ and i create a tar say exam.tar well the problem is, when i read the tar file i dont find any metadata about the directories,as you cannot create a tar containig empty directories. on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanvirk
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming all header to specific header pattern

Input #HAC0253 EFVHIJHIJEFVTHIJOPKOPKTEFVEFVEFVOPKHIJOPKOPKHIJTTEFVEFVTEFV #BASFS12 EFVEFVHIJEFVEFVTOPKEFVOPKTHIJTTHIJOPK #ACG5115 TEFVEFVOIJEFVHIJHIJOPKOPKHIJHIJTTEFVEFVOPKTTEFVEFVOPKHIJOPKOPKOPK #ECG5114 IJTOPKHIJEFVOEFVEFVOPKTTEFVEFVOPKHIJOPKOPKOPK . . Output (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check header of file, without opening the file

if we happen to have a very big .csv file we cannot or dont care to edit, is there a way to check if the file contains a header row? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lydiaflamp
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with the Header and Footer check

Hi, I need to check whether the incoming file has a header and footer using a UNIX script. The pattern of the header and footer is fixed as follows: Header: Name,Date Footer: Count, Total Name,Date ------------------------- ------------------------- ------------------------- Count,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunny_teotia
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge all csv files in one folder considering only 1 header row and ignoring header of all others

Friends, I need help with the following in UNIX. Merge all csv files in one folder considering only 1 header row and ignoring header of all other files. FYI - All files are in same format and contains same headers. Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shiny_Roy
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check for empty line at end of a dynamic header in each file

Hi Folks, I have a requirement to develop a shell script. PFB my requirement, Requirement: I need to check an empty line after the end of each header in respective file and if a empty line is present simply echo file OK and if empty line is not present echo "Adding empty line" and add an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tpk
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check the file and remove header before copying

Hi Guys, I have below directory where there are certain files. Something like below country_dir aus_01.txt nz_01.txt aus_02.txt bd.txt property.txt aus nz bd I need to remove the header of the file which ends with _01.txt while copying from country directory to another... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find header in a text file and prepend it to all lines until another header is found

I've been struggling with this one for quite a while and cannot seem to find a solution for this find/replace scenario. Perhaps I'm getting rusty. I have a file that contains a number of metrics (exactly 3 fields per line) from a few appliances that are collected in parallel. To identify the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Header and trailer Check in UNIX

I am planning to automate multiple files through Unix script. Could you please guide for making the automation for multiple files ? Eg. I have to check header and footer for all files in the particular path and the header pattern should match with the filename. Filename- Filename.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthick2020333
2 Replies
XZDIFF(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZDIFF(1)

NAME
xzcmp, xzdiff, lzcmp, lzdiff - compare compressed files SYNOPSIS
xzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] xzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] lzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] lzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] DESCRIPTION
xzcmp and xzdiff invoke cmp(1) or diff(1) on files compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), or lzop(1). All options specified are passed directly to cmp(1) or diff(1). If only one file is specified, then the files compared are file1 (which must have a suffix of a supported compression format) and file1 from which the compression format suffix has been stripped. If two files are specified, then they are uncompressed if necessary and fed to cmp(1) or diff(1). The exit status from cmp(1) or diff(1) is preserved. The names lzcmp and lzdiff are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), lzop(1), zdiff(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp(1) or diff(1) programs refer to temporary filenames instead of those specified. Tukaani 2011-03-19 XZDIFF(1)