Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing formats (bold) from UNIX file Post 302753057 by itkamaraj on Tuesday 8th of January 2013 02:41:53 AM
Old 01-08-2013
Try this too...

Code:
perl -ne 's/\e\[\d+m//g;print' < input.txt > output.txt

This User Gave Thanks to itkamaraj For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing the entire file contents using unix shell script.

I need to remove the entire file contents in file using the shell script. Actually the grap -v command will create one more file and it occupy the space also. I need to remove the entire file contents without creating new file using the shell scripting. Please help me. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praka
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Non-printable characters in unix file

Hi, We have a non printable character "®" in our file , we want to remove this character, we tried tr -dc '' < oldfile> newfile but this command is removing all new line entries along with the non printable character and all the records are coming in one line(it is changing the format of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyaranoid
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing the words with symbols in a file in unix

I have file like below Hi iam author <br>joseph</br> in france. I live in my home <br></br> but no food. I will play footbal <br></br> but i wont play cricket. I will read all the books <br>all fiction stories</br> i hate horror stories. I want output like below Hi iam author... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinothsekark
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are the executable file formats in Solaris and Linux?

we all knew that .exe files are the executable file formats in windows....... Similarly, what are the executable file formats in solaris and linux ........ please tell me:D Thanks in Advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing ^M from last line alone of a UNIX File

Hi All, I am copying a file from windows to UNIX. After that copying it have the ctrl+M character in the file at the line break. But the file contains the data that also have ctrl+M. I want to re move the ctrl+M at the end of the line alone. My file structure is XML and last line doesnt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Agantrope
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to check the file formats

Hi, I want to check the incoming files whether the file is Mac file or dos/windows file in unix shell script. Sometimes client is posting Mac file and sometimes it is dos file. Could you please help me how to determine/check whether the file is Mac or dos. Help in advance Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lkeswar
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make bold chars in UNIX

Hi all, I want to make the string as bold in unix. is there any way to acheive this? thanks in advance. (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: SekhaReddy
16 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Slowly Removing Bold Font Style - Step-by-Step

FYI, I'm slowly removing a lot of the bold font-styles from titles of discussions, forum titles, etc I'm not removing bold for the entire site because we do need bold from time to time, especially in posts and sometimes in other places. However, the original forum style had way too much... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
3 Replies
OD(1)								   User Commands							     OD(1)

NAME
od - dump files in octal and other formats SYNOPSIS
od [OPTION]... [FILE]... od [-abcdfilosx]... [FILE] [[+]OFFSET[.][b]] od --traditional [OPTION]... [FILE] [[+]OFFSET[.][b] [+][LABEL][.][b]] DESCRIPTION
Write an unambiguous representation, octal bytes by default, of FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE argument, concatenate them in the listed order to form the input. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. If first and second call formats both apply, the second format is assumed if the last operand begins with + or (if there are 2 operands) a digit. An OFFSET operand means -j OFFSET. LABEL is the pseudo-address at first byte printed, incremented when dump is progressing. For OFFSET and LABEL, a 0x or 0X prefix indicates hexadecimal; suffixes may be . for octal and b for multiply by 512. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -A, --address-radix=RADIX output format for file offsets; RADIX is one of [doxn], for Decimal, Octal, Hex or None --endian={big|little} swap input bytes according the specified order -j, --skip-bytes=BYTES skip BYTES input bytes first -N, --read-bytes=BYTES limit dump to BYTES input bytes -S BYTES, --strings[=BYTES] output strings of at least BYTES graphic chars; 3 is implied when BYTES is not specified -t, --format=TYPE select output format or formats -v, --output-duplicates do not use * to mark line suppression -w[BYTES], --width[=BYTES] output BYTES bytes per output line; 32 is implied when BYTES is not specified --traditional accept arguments in third form above --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Traditional format specifications may be intermixed; they accumulate: -a same as -t a, select named characters, ignoring high-order bit -b same as -t o1, select octal bytes -c same as -t c, select printable characters or backslash escapes -d same as -t u2, select unsigned decimal 2-byte units -f same as -t fF, select floats -i same as -t dI, select decimal ints -l same as -t dL, select decimal longs -o same as -t o2, select octal 2-byte units -s same as -t d2, select decimal 2-byte units -x same as -t x2, select hexadecimal 2-byte units TYPE is made up of one or more of these specifications: a named character, ignoring high-order bit c printable character or backslash escape d[SIZE] signed decimal, SIZE bytes per integer f[SIZE] floating point, SIZE bytes per float o[SIZE] octal, SIZE bytes per integer u[SIZE] unsigned decimal, SIZE bytes per integer x[SIZE] hexadecimal, SIZE bytes per integer SIZE is a number. For TYPE in [doux], SIZE may also be C for sizeof(char), S for sizeof(short), I for sizeof(int) or L for sizeof(long). If TYPE is f, SIZE may also be F for sizeof(float), D for sizeof(double) or L for sizeof(long double). Adding a z suffix to any type displays printable characters at the end of each output line. BYTES is hex with 0x or 0X prefix, and may have a multiplier suffix: b 512 KB 1000 K 1024 MB 1000*1000 M 1024*1024 and so on for G, T, P, E, Z, Y. EXAMPLES
od -A x -t x1z -v Display hexdump format output od -A o -t oS -w16 The default output format used by od AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report od translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/od> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) od invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 OD(1)