Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Automatic User Creation
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Automatic User Creation Post 302752937 by JerryHone on Monday 7th of January 2013 07:11:19 PM
Old 01-07-2013
A few things...

First,
Code:
set -x

in the code or
Code:
#! /bin/ksh -x

as the first line will provide verbose debug output and typically makes things much more obvious.

Secondly, you would normally use 'find'to find multiple files in a directory tree matching defined criteria. In this case, I think that you simply want to determine whether a home directory exists, so use
Code:
if [ -d /home/${eachline} ] ...

You may find the -x option shows you that the content of $existinguser is not what you expect!

Your code
Code:
if [ $input -eq '1' ]

is syntactically incorrect.
If you want to compare $input with integer 1, use -eq and don't quote the 1. If you want to compare it with string "1", use '=' and for full correctness double quote $input.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user creation problem

hello, Actually I want to create a user for our brower based custom application for the mail access from our mailserver(linux). I create user dummy and I granted all the privileages to dummy user and made dummy equivelent to root and if I tried to create a another user logging as dummy ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jarkvarma
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Automatic time out of user login

I have asked by our security team to implement an automatic time out for user logins after a specified time interval. I have never heard of this feature in Unix before. Does anyone know of a way to accomplish this for HP-UX 11i? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
2 Replies

3. Solaris

User creation

Hi all, I want to create one user with full permissions to one directory called /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin. Name for the user Tivoli Thanks & Regards Babu (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbreddy
7 Replies

4. Solaris

User Creation

i am trying to create a user on solaris 10. it is not taking user name with more than ten characters. which file i need to edit to do this setting. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raynu.sharma
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

User creation

Hi Thanks in advance. How to create a user without useradd command ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krish4linux
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Need help with user creation

Hello guys, i have a problem where i cant create a user and here some problem that i encounter. 1. /etc/passwd seems locked. 2. getting this error UX: useradd: ERROR: Cannot update system files - login cannot be created. # useradd -u 47367 -g 1084 -c "user123" -d /local/home/user123 -s... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brew
2 Replies

7. AIX

User creation

hi seniors i want to create the users like when the user try to login it should not should not promt for passwd is it possible to create users like this please help me (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senmak
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

User creation script

Hi Gems.. I am working out on project of creating a mass user on 100 server. Please help me with script where i can create an user id of new 80 user using shell script Thanks in advance. Indrajit Bhagat (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: indrajit_renu
1 Replies

9. Solaris

NIS user creation

Hi can anyone help me how to create a NIS user by editing the files like Passwd,group, Netgroup,auto.home and Aliases using the "enis" utility? Please do the needful................................ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Revathi@1
4 Replies
SCRIPT(1)							   User Commands							 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet. -t, --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Output version information and exit. -h, --help Output help and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. util-linux September 2011 SCRIPT(1)