Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: C first Script Question
Top Forums Programming C first Script Question Post 302751799 by Corona688 on Friday 4th of January 2013 01:13:30 PM
Old 01-04-2013
scanf() has an unfortunate problem where, if it finds any bad data in the stream, it puts it back. You are asking for %d, so it looks for digits. If it sees any non-digits, it will give up and not even show them to you.

Imagine you're trying to read 9 numbers with 9 scanf calls, and on the very first one you type in A then enter. The first scanf will see 'A', decide it's not a number, and put it back. This means the second will also see 'A'. So will the third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, and ninth.

sscanf, which operates on strings instead of streams, avoids this problem, since it has nowhere to "put back" the letter into. It just uses the string you give it and doesn't care what happened last time. fgets() and sscanf() make a good team; fgets reads entire lines and turns them into strings, while sscanf() processes strings and turns them into what you want.

Code:
while(fgets(buf, 512, stdin) != NULL)
{
        int value;
        if(sscanf(buf, "%d", &value) == 1)
        {
                printf("You typed a number\n");
        }
        else
        {
                printf("You didn't type a number\n");
        }
}

Note that this will accept things like 1234a, since sscanf will stop at the a.

Last edited by Corona688; 01-04-2013 at 02:18 PM..
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another script question.

Hi, First off I usually script in the bash shell. Ok, in my script I am checking to see if the filename has a .txt extension. So I was trying: if then echo "Must contain a valid .txt extension" fiandif ] then echo "Must contain a valid .txt extension" fiBut no go the first... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astudent
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script question

Correct me if i'm wrong, but by adding "#!/bin/ksh" at the start of a script will force it to run in the korn shell no matter which shell you are currently using?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shad0w75
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script question

I'm using solaris and i have an old script that an ex employee wrote but i can't seem to get it working. well is just one part of the script if ($?MC_PROD_DIR == 0) setenv MC_PROD_DIR $HOME/PRODUCTION source $MC_PROD_DIR/scripts/localenv ** i understand what this part of the script is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fusionjd
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script question

Can anyone help with these scripts? Im new to this and struggling. Thank you for your help. Pre-requisites Create a file with x amount of lines in it, the content of your choice. (Have already done this) Script 1 Write a script that takes two arguments. The first being a line of text,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginner1
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script question

Anyone know why this won't work? #!/usr/bin/ksh for db in `cat /etc/oratab|egrep ':N|:Y' | grep -v \* | cut -f1 -d":"` do echo "************************" echo "database is $db" echo "************************" done I am getting an error on the line... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ace2000
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Question

Here is my problem. I have a txt file with a list of user names in both upper case and lower case. I need to remove the names from the passwd file. I want to be able to run a script that looks at my txt list and then removes those names from the passwd file. It would be nice if it backed up the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wgartin
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script question

I am trying to write a script to check the STIG our unix boxes. I want to put in checks to determine if certain files or directories are there. For example: If /opt/SUNWexplo exists echo "Sun Explorer exists" else echo "Sun Explorer is not installed" I am sure I could write... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkruck
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script Question

I have a script that will calculate some information about the current directory that I run the script in. How can I have it where it gets an argument from the user(such as a directory) and the script calculate the information for the given directory? Any help is greatly appreciated. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tr32
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

script question

How can I include a counter in this if statement so only sends out 5 notifications. # the if statement will check for the lines status, if status is down sends email if then LIST="user@email.com" mail -s "rje_lines_down" $LIST < ${tmpfile} #sends an email to list fi thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d4n3lu
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script question

I know some tricks like this : echo " E"; sleep 0.1; clear; echo " Er"; sleep 0.1; clear; echo " Err"; sleep 0.1; clear; echo " Erro"; sleep 0.1; clear; echo " Error ";... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies
SCANF(3S)																 SCANF(3S)

NAME
scanf, fscanf, sscanf - formatted input conversion SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> scanf(format [ , pointer ] . . . ) char *format; fscanf(stream, format [ , pointer ] . . . ) FILE *stream; char *format; sscanf(s, format [ , pointer ] . . . ) char *s, *format; DESCRIPTION
Scanf reads from the standard input stream stdin. Fscanf reads from the named input stream. Sscanf reads from the character string s. Each function reads characters, interprets them according to a format, and stores the results in its arguments. Each expects as arguments a control string format, described below, and a set of pointer arguments indicating where the converted input should be stored. The control string usually contains conversion specifications, which are used to direct interpretation of input sequences. The control string may contain: 1. Blanks, tabs or newlines, which match optional white space in the input. 2. An ordinary character (not %) which must match the next character of the input stream. 3. Conversion specifications, consisting of the character %, an optional assignment suppressing character *, an optional numerical maximum field width, and a conversion character. A conversion specification directs the conversion of the next input field; the result is placed in the variable pointed to by the corre- sponding argument, unless assignment suppression was indicated by *. An input field is defined as a string of non-space characters; it extends to the next inappropriate character or until the field width, if specified, is exhausted. The conversion character indicates the interpretation of the input field; the corresponding pointer argument must usually be of a restricted type. The following conversion characters are legal: % a single `%' is expected in the input at this point; no assignment is done. d a decimal integer is expected; the corresponding argument should be an integer pointer. o an octal integer is expected; the corresponding argument should be a integer pointer. x a hexadecimal integer is expected; the corresponding argument should be an integer pointer. s a character string is expected; the corresponding argument should be a character pointer pointing to an array of characters large enough to accept the string and a terminating `', which will be added. The input field is terminated by a space character or a new- line. c a character is expected; the corresponding argument should be a character pointer. The normal skip over space characters is suppressed in this case; to read the next non-space character, try `%1s'. If a field width is given, the corresponding argument should refer to a character array, and the indicated number of characters is read. e a floating point number is expected; the next field is converted accordingly and stored through the corresponding argument, which f should be a pointer to a float. The input format for floating point numbers is an optionally signed string of digits possibly contain- ing a decimal point, followed by an optional exponent field consisting of an E or e followed by an optionally signed integer. [ indicates a string not to be delimited by space characters. The left bracket is followed by a set of characters and a right bracket; the characters between the brackets define a set of characters making up the string. If the first character is not circumflex (^), the input field is all characters until the first character not in the set between the brackets; if the first character after the left bracket is ^, the input field is all characters until the first character which is in the remaining set of characters between the brackets. The corresponding argument must point to a character array. The conversion characters d, o and x may be capitalized or preceded by l to indicate that a pointer to long rather than to int is in the argument list. Similarly, the conversion characters e or f may be capitalized or preceded by l to indicate a pointer to double rather than to float. The conversion characters d, o and x may be preceded by h to indicate a pointer to short rather than to int. The scanf functions return the number of successfully matched and assigned input items. This can be used to decide how many input items were found. The constant EOF is returned upon end of input; note that this is different from 0, which means that no conversion was done; if conversion was intended, it was frustrated by an inappropriate character in the input. For example, the call int i; float x; char name[50]; scanf("%d%f%s", &i, &x, name); with the input line 25 54.32E-1 thompson will assign to i the value 25, x the value 5.432, and name will contain `thompson'. Or, int i; float x; char name[50]; scanf("%2d%f%*d%[1234567890]", &i, &x, name); with input 56789 0123 56a72 will assign 56 to i, 789.0 to x, skip `0123', and place the string `56' in name. The next call to getchar will return `a'. SEE ALSO
atof(3), getc(3S), printf(3S) DIAGNOSTICS
The scanf functions return EOF on end of input, and a short count for missing or illegal data items. BUGS
The success of literal matches and suppressed assignments is not directly determinable. 7th Edition May 15, 1985 SCANF(3S)