Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk for selecting columns of different data files Post 302751167 by rpf on Thursday 3rd of January 2013 09:56:00 AM
Old 01-03-2013
it works fine thank you RudiC

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting specific 'id's from lines and columns using 'SED' or 'AWK'

Hello experts, I am new to this group and to 'SED' and 'AWK'. I have data (text file) with 5 columns (C_1-5) and 100s of lines (only 10 lines are shown below as an example). I have to find or select only the id numbers (C-1) of specific lines with '90' in the same line (of C_3) AND with '20' in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamskamu
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting rows based on values in columns

Hi My pipe delimited .txt file contains rows with 10 columns. Can anyone advise how I output to file only those rows with the letters ‘ci' as the first 2 characters in the 3rd column ? Many thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malts18
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting Specific Columns and Insert the delimiter TAB

Hi, I am writing a Perl Script for the below : I have a data file that consists of the header information which is 231 Lines and the footer information as 4 lines. The total number of line including the header and footer 1.2 Million with Pipe Delimited file. For example: Header Information:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

selecting record by matching in two columns values

Hi Guys ! i want to search a record in file by matching two values in a record in two different columns suppose i have 3 columns and i want to select all those values from col1 for which in col3 has a specific value e.g select all "john" from column1 where column 3 has a value of "20" ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ourned
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting A Block Of Data From A File (AWK)

Ladles and Jellyspoons,I am trying to use, unsucessfully I might add, awk to strip a large block of information from and audit output.The format resembles the following:-----------------------------------------------------------Event: execveTime: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proc1269
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting lines having same values for first two columns

Hello to all. This is first post. Kindly excuse me if I do not adhere to any rules and regulations of this forum. I have a file containing some rows with three columns each per row(separeted by a space). There are certain rows for which first two columns have same value but the value in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manojmalhotra13
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparision of two data columns in different files

Hi All, I have a requirement to compare data column which is the last field in two different files and trigger and alert if the difference is greater than 1 for each row. File1 Jan Acount1 2014 11223 Feb Account2 2014 2345 Mar Account3 2014 1233 File2 Jan Account1 2014... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Naresh Babu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting random columns from large dataset in UNIX

Dear folks I have a large data set which contains 400K columns. I decide to select 50K determined columns from the whole 400K columns. Is there any command in unix which could do this process for me? I need to also mention that I store all of the columns id in one file which may help to select... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajmar
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script: selecting rows that have the same values in two columns

Hello, everyone I am beginner for shell programming. I want to print all lines that have the same values in first two columns data: a b 1 2 a a 3 4 b b 5 6 a b 4 6 what I expected is : a a 3 4 b b 5 6 but I searched for one hour in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nengcheng
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk , parse data from stacked columns

I am trying to rearrange stacked columns. Below is an excerpt of my data file: You can see there are two data columns stacked vertically. ITERATION ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sav0
1 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)