Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Printf transforms \x0a into \x00 Post 302750167 by Don Cragun on Monday 31st of December 2012 04:32:33 AM
Old 12-31-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vomv1988
If

Code:
printf '\x0a' | xxd -cols 1

produces

Code:
0000000: 0a  .

then, why does

Code:
printf '%c' "`printf '\x0a'`" | xxd -cols 1

produce

Code:
0000000: 00  .

??
Because command substitution (`command` or $(command)) removes trailing newlines from the output of the commands performed.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

printf

What is the output of the following program considering an x86 based parameter passing sequence where stack grows towards lower memory addresses and that arguments are evaluated from right to left: int i=10; int f1() { static int i = 15; printf("f1:%d ", i); return i--; } main() {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunviswanath
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[AWK] read lines with \x00 symbol

I want to read a large (~1-4Gb) txt file with fields separated by "," and line separator "\n". Unfortunately, file contains \x00 (zero ASCII) symbols AWK treats them as end of line + it ignores reminder of the line after the \x00. As a simple example: echo "\0060\0061\000\0060\0063" | nawk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Murfury
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove \x0a in unix

hi all, i have a flat file delimited by pipe (|), and i'm loading it to sybase, the problem is when i do a select to the table of the database, the last field has new line ascii (\x0a): 38,'0\x0a ' 88,'076004074028\x0a ' 27,'076004075023\x0a ' how can i remove the \x0a from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing hex characters '\x0D' with '\x0D\x0A'

Hello All, I have a requirement where I need to replaced the hex character - '\x0D' with 2 hex characters - 'x0D' & 'x0A' I am trying to use SED - But somehow its not working. Any pointers? Also the hex character '\x0D' can occur anywhere in the line. Can this also be accomplished... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
6 Replies

5. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Install Xen vm on centos5.5 crashed "x00\x00\x00\x00\"

Hi, everyone: I'm new to xen. When I install a vm on centos5.5, I got xen crashed: # virt-install -n centos5 -r 512 --vcpus=1 --disk path=/home/mycoy/centos5.img,size=8 --nographics -l http://mirror01.idc.hinet.net/CentOS/5.5/isos/i386/CentOS-5.5-i386-netinstall.iso when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mycoy
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Does m/\x0A/ same as m/\x{0A}/ ?

Perl allow hex character with just one digit. Such as \x0 \x9 \xA. How to force to use 2 digits in m// and s///. Such as \x00 \x09 \x0A. ---------- Post updated at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:38 PM ---------- I don't know why these code replace as text, not a real hex... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: natong
0 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)