Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to detect dynamic ip change and update to config file Post 302748635 by Shaan_Shaan on Wednesday 26th of December 2012 12:14:19 PM
Old 12-26-2012
Script to detect dynamic ip change and update to config file

Hi All,

I am newbie here and request your assistance.

I have a service running on public ip, but since I have a dynamic IP it keeps on changing and every time I need to manually get the new ip and add to the config file and restart the service. This has become bit time consuming.

Hence, I am looking for a script that can do the following action.

Detect IP address in ppp0 whenever it changes -> capture the new IP address and update that to my config file and save -> Restart my service.

Thanking you.
Regards
Shaan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

I wanted to update a script, more dynamic (just say no to hard coding)...

currently it has the following: bdumpN=`ll /home/apps/oracle/admin/DBprod/bdump/DBprod_j* | grep "$Cdate" | wc -l` If I pass the DBname, I would not have to hardcode it in the script... I can capture the database name by adding the following: DBname=$1 The problem is, I have been unable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

Autosys Config file update on a read-only filer

Hi To All Genius out there, We are running autosys application on solaris 10. In autosys we have a configuration file that contains an Autosys instance configuration data and is located on a NFS filer on which we have a read-only access. Our Autosys environment is on a dual server... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: whn_chips_r_dwn
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Autosys Config file update on a read-only filer

Hi To All Genius out there, We are running autosys application on solaris 10. In autosys we have a configuration file that contains an Autosys instance configuration data and is located on a NFS filer on which we have a read-only access. Our Autosys environment is on a dual server mode(Active... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: whn_chips_r_dwn
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script to detect webpages from file

Hi guys I'm very new to unix and I have to create an awk script that detects webpage addresses from a file/webpage and outputs how many times each webpage was detected.e.g. if my file was: (Note: The symbol " was added to stop them being created into links) "www.google.com"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ROFL
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script to detect webpages from file

Hi guys I'm very new to unix and I have to create an awk script that detects webpage addresses from a file/webpage and outputs how many times each webpage was detected.e.g. if my file was: www.google.com www.facebook.com www.google.com the output should be: www.google.com x2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROFL
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script that will compare two config files and produce 2 outputs 1)actual config file 2)report

Hi I am new to shell scripting. There is a requirement to write a shell script to meet follwing needs.Prompt reply shall be highly appreciated. script that will compare two config files and produce 2 outputs - actual config file and a report indicating changes made. OS :Susi linux ver 10.3. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
4 Replies

7. Linux

issue on dynamic config script

I have one issue with my existing code.Actually i want to write parameter's at the end of the section not begin of section.please find my code snapshots... while read cfgfilename sectionname parameter do case "$cfgfilename" in cfgfilename) FILE=$HOME/config/$parameter unset... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayan
1 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

script to change widows update permissions

I want to allow windows update when ordinary users are logged on, I'm pretty sure that adjusting the permissions registry entry HEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/WindowsUpdate to allow acces to all domins users does the trick. I already have a logon.bat that runs at... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update config file using shell script in Solaris 5.10

hi I need to update the value in config.txt value using shell script example: lets say a value in config.txt file is as SEQUENCE=1 after some iteration as the loop ends , the SEQUENCE should get update in the config.txt file with a new value of SEQUENCE=2. also , can anyone please help me... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravidwivedi2288
7 Replies
arpsend(8)							    Containers								arpsend(8)

NAME
arpsend - send ARP requests SYNOPSIS
arpsend -D -e target_ip [ -e target_ip ...] [-c count] [-w timeout] interface arpsend -U -i source_ip [-c count] [-w timeout] interface DESCRIPTION
Utility arpsend sends ARP packets on device interface to detect or update neighbours' ARP caches with a given IP. COMMANDS
Run utility with one of the following commands: -D Send broadcast ARP request to detect neighbours with target_ip. You have to specify target_ip (-e option). -U Send broadcast ARP request to update neighbours' ARP caches with source_ip. You have to specify source_ip (-i option). OPTIONS
-c count Number of packets to send. Default is infinity. -w interval Interval between packets, in seconds. Default is 1 second. -i source_ip_address Set source IP address field in ARP packet. -e target_ip_address Set target IP address field in ARP packet. Note that you can specify -e option multiple times to detect many IP addresses in one utility call. EXIT STATUS
arpsend returns 0 upon successful execution. If something goes wrong, it returns an appropriate error code. 1 EXC_USAGE Usage error 2 EXC_SYSTEM System error 3 EXC_RECV ARP reply was received EXAMPLES
To send request on interface eth0 to detect any neighbour computers with IP 192.168.10.200: arpsend -D -e 192.168.10.200 eth0 To send request on interface eth0 to update neighbours' ARP caches with IP 192.168.10.200: arpsend -U -i 192.168.10.200 eth0 NOTES
Interface you use have to be arpable and not be loopback (i.e. /sbin/ip link show interface should show neither NOARP nor LOOPBACK flags in interface parameters). SEE ALSO
vzctl(8). LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2000-2011, Parallels, Inc. Licensed under GNU GPL. OpenVZ 28 Jun 2011 arpsend(8)