Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Egrep help needed?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Egrep help needed? Post 302748425 by tinku981 on Wednesday 26th of December 2012 12:25:48 AM
Old 12-26-2012
Egrep help needed?

Can anyone advise how to use grep to locate lines containing these patterns?
i) SIGSTOP or SIGTSIP
ii) SIGTTIN or SIGTTOU
iii) harris or harrison

Say the file contents are
$ cat reg_exp
SIGSTOP
SIGTSIP
SIGTTIN
SIGTTOU
harris
harrison

I tried using, but did not worked
$ grep -E 'SIG[STOP|TSIP]' reg_exp
SIGSTOP
SIGTSIP
SIGTTIN
SIGTTOU

Thanks in advance,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

egrep -f

Hi, i am using egrep -f. The file with the expressions is very big and if i make the file a lot smaller, it works fine. Only if i use the original file, witch has about 20.000 lines it doesn't seem to work. Is the file to big, or do i need more patience?? my command is: egrep -f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tine
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Egrep cheat sheet anywhere? Looking for meaning of egrep -c

Hi I've been searching google and have not found what egrep -c means. Does anyone know where I can get a cheat sheet or what that -c means? thanks, Linda (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leelm
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep

Hi, I don't understand what is the correct way of writing: egrep -l '{$min,$max} $pattern' $filename I tryed to search on google how to wtrite {$min, $max}, but I don't have success (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DNAx86
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep help

Hi there, Im having some issues using egrep, I have a text file containing server logs: the user imputs 2 arguments, which are error checked and made into $searchMonth $searchYear respectivley. I then do the grep command: egrep /$searchMonth/ $file | egrep /$searchYear: | wc -l ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Darklight
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search ")" with egrep - egrep: syntax error

Hi Guys, we have a shell script which basically query the Database which retrieves huge data and use the data with "egrep" . Now there is some data which contains characters like "abc)" and the same is used like below : "egrep (.+\|GDPRAB16\|GDPR/11702 96 abc)\|$ temp.txt" now while... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarjani
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help on egrep

HI, I have two files filea, fileeb filea z283110z67 xx65686377 xx654681zz xx652836xx xx653881zz xx65480z11 xx654z5466 xx65510000 xx65670000 xx656z0000 xx656z1822 fileb (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krao
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Egrep help needed

What does the below statement mean? 1. egrep -m 1 -cif "ignore_list" "file" 2. egrep -vif "ignore_list" "file" Thanks in Advance Robin. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robinbannis
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using egrep.

I have a text file which has the content starting with "....." Not able to filter out lines staring with "....." Is there anything wrong with grep stagement ?? .....processing table 2 of 2 .....migration process started at 2012-10-04 05:00:28 .....estimated # of rows 169,830... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Egrep

Hi I am trying to run CMD that combining EGREP and PERL in multiple files cat *07:00.22-12-13.txt | egrep" NAME| perl -ne 'print if /^sid9/ .. /^!/' " I need the see the NAME and the text from sid9 to ! how can I use the EGERP in parallel to the PERL ? This is one file Qqq... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharong
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with egrep

Hello folks, I am having an issue with searching for a pattern using egrep (or grep). For ex, in the below file. I am searching for all files with a particular pattern but I am not able to figure out what the issue is? $ cat test.dat TEST_211815.TXT TEST_111915.TXT TEST_112015.TXT... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: calredd
2 Replies
tcflow(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						tcflow(3C)

NAME
tcflow - suspend or restart the transmission or reception of data SYNOPSIS
#include <termios.h> int tcflow(int fildes, int action); DESCRIPTION
The tcflow() function suspends transmission or reception of data on the object referred to by fildes, depending on the value of action. The fildes argument is an open file descriptor associated with a terminal. o If action is TCOOFF, output is suspended. o If action is TCOON, suspended output is restarted. o If action is TCIOFF, the system transmits a STOP character, which is intended to cause the terminal device to stop transmitting data to the system. o If action is TCION, the system transmits a START character, which is intended to cause the terminal device to start transmitting data to the system. The default on the opening of a terminal file is that neither its input nor its output are suspended. Attempts to use tcflow() from a process which is a member of a background process group on a fildes associated with its controlling termi- nal, will cause the process group to be sent a SIGTTOU signal. If the calling process is blocking or ignoring SIGTTOU signals, the process is allowed to perform the operation, and no signal is sent. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, 0 is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The tcflow() function will fail if: EBADF The fildes argument is not a valid file descriptor. EINVAL The action argument is not a supported value. ENOTTY The file associated with fildes is not a terminal. The tcflow() function may fail if: EIO The process group of the writing process is orphaned, and the writing process is not ignoring or blocking SIGTTOU. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-------------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-------------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-------------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe, and Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
tcsendbreak(3C), attributes(5), standards(5), termio(7I) SunOS 5.10 14 Aug 2002 tcflow(3C)