Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Go to a line of code , skip few lines of code Post 302748415 by Yoda on Tuesday 25th of December 2012 11:38:59 PM
Old 12-26-2012
I don't think there is goto statement available in most shells except for tcsh But using it is considered as a bad programming practice.

Why don't you put the commands inside the else construct of if statement?
Code:
if [ logic ]
then
 sleep 34
else
 command 1
 command 2
fi

This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Skip new line

Hi, how can I skip the new line of echo? In SH!!!! echo "the date is :" date and result I want is the date is : Tue Oct 11 22:24:37 WEST 2005 I've already tried including the \c inside the echo, but it didn't work. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmpx
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

skip reading certain lines in a file

How can I exclude reading lines in a file that contains the following: filesystem:/home/pach/liv_patches 128005120 88456640 37270758 71% /home/patches That is, all lines that contain and begins with filesystem: should not be processed/read from a file (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paulsew
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to skip lines in a KSH?

hi, I have a shell script that searches for a particular pattern in all the files inside a directory, and gives the count of that pattern occurences in a file. Now i should not count the pattern if it exists in side a { .... }, as shown below. { ...... ..... .... PATTERN1.......... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: divak
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to skip lines which don't begin with a number

Hi, I have a file: file.txt 1 word 2 word word word 3 word 4 word and I would like to create a set: set number = `cut -d" " -f1 ${1}` #${1} is the text file but it should only contain the lines which begin with numbers, and another set which contains the lines which begin with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - skip x lines and ssh

Im trying to ssh to a remote machine to grep 'x info' *.log and Im able to get the grep output as expected but "after" the policies (1st 14 lines) - I need to skip the first 14 lines. Its SunOS. Plz help??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anthonyraj75
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: skip x lines and ssh

Im trying to ssh to a remote machine to grep 'x info' *.log and Im able to get the grep output as expected but "after" the policies (1st 14 lines) - I need to skip the first 14 lines. Its SunOS. Plz help??? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthonyraj75
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help line 35: syntax error: unexpected end of file only 34 lines of code

I am not sure what I am doing wrong here, I did some research and only confused myself further. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to make this work for work tomorrow. There are only 34 lines of code in this script, yet its complaining about line 35 Here is the code: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BkontheShell718
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

skip lines while reading a file

Hi Experts, I am tryin to read a file and while doing so i need to skip the lines which start with a hash (#) char. I thought of using a goto command but a lot of guys on this site say its not the good way to program. Moreover I am using a ksh shell which deos not support goto command. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankimmehta
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Skip first and last line

Hi All I have a sample file like below: 012312112 1372422843 1236712 1372422843 1275127 3109301010 from which I wan't to: 1.)delete... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: swasid
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Skip x Number of Lines in Counter

Hello, I am new to AWK and in UNIX in general. I am hoping you can help me out here. Here is my data: root@ubuntu:~# cat circuits.list WORD1 AA BB CC DD Active ISP1 ISP NAME1 XX-XXXXXX1 WORD1 AA BB CC (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tattoostreet
9 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)