Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mail from mailx not received
Operating Systems Solaris Mail from mailx not received Post 302748325 by Eman_in_forum on Tuesday 25th of December 2012 09:04:11 AM
Old 12-25-2012
Mail from mailx not received

Hi ,

I'm trying to send a mail from a sunOS machine that is within hp network to my email: eman.el-badawy@hp.com ,the user trying to send
is 'project',,but seems the mail address can not be resolved

checking /var/log/syslog i got the following:

Code:
Dec 25 14:34:02 svddev15 sendmail[3458]: [ID 801593 mail.info] qBPDY2md003458: from=project, size=109, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<201212251334.qBPDY2md003458@my.local>, relay=project@localhost
Dec 25 14:34:07 svddev15 sendmail[3459]: [ID 801593 mail.info] qBPDY2st003459: from=<project@my.local>, size=367, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<201212251334.qBPDY2md003458@my.local>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1]
Dec 25 14:34:07 svddev15 sendmail[3458]: [ID 801593 mail.info] qBPDY2md003458: to=eman.el-badawy@hp.com, ctladdr=project (101/29501), delay=00:00:05, xdelay=00:00:05, mailer=relay, pri=30109, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (qBPDY2st003459 Message accepted for delivery)
Dec 25 14:37:23 svddev15 sendmail[3461]: [ID 801593 mail.info] qBPDY2st003459: to=<eman.el-badawy@hp.com>, ctladdr=<project@my.local> (101/29501), delay=00:03:16, xdelay=00:03:16, mailer=esmtp, pri=120367, relay=mailhost.local, dsn=5.1.2, stat=Host unknown (Name server: mailhost.local: host not found)
Dec 25 14:37:23 svddev15 sendmail[3461]: [ID 801593 mail.info] qBPDY2st003459: qBPDbNst003461: DSN: Host unknown (Name server: mailhost.local: host not found)
Dec 25 14:37:23 svddev15 sendmail[3461]: [ID 801593 mail.info] qBPDbNst003461: to=<project@my.local>, delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri=31579, relay=local, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent

Please advise how to make this machine be able to send to an external host

P.S: from outlook i could get my SMTP address, it looked like: adcdef.routing@example.com, and sending to this directly worked, while sending to eman.el-badawy@hp.com did not

Thanks in advance,
Eman

Last edited by Scott; 08-12-2013 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting received mail in unix and another error

hello! when issuing the mail command to see my received mail, i get this error: (server)starla:/home/starla>mail Warning: Too many letters, overflowing letters concatenated msgcnt 27378 vxfs: mesg 001: vx_nospace - /dev/vg00/lvol4 file system full (1 block extent) mail: no space for temp file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: starla0316
0 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Received all post on my mail addess

Hi neo, I am a resistered member of Forum. I want to received all post which posted by all members via mail address. Can this possible to me??? Can i receive all posts?? Thanks Yogesh Goyal (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogesh goyal
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem with mailx - Can execute but email not received

Hi, I tried running mailx command like this: sadm@bioinfo-z:~$ mailx foobar@gmail.com Subject: testgmail Some content. . EOT As you can see although it is successfuly executed. But still I can't receive email at my foobar@gmail.com account. What is the cause? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkfan
9 Replies

4. AIX

Forwarding already received mail?

Greetings to all of you. I am a tad desperate here. I have found MANY articles scattered across the internet from google searches and unix.com searches for how to forward mail that say: Create a ~/.forward file and put XXXX in it. This is not what I need to do. We have bunch of users... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DennisC31
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unknown Attachment received on html mail

Hello, Getting an extra attachment when i send a mail using below code. The body and the rest of the attachments look very fine. The extra attachment to be exact has a name ATT00001.txt. :confused: This is not part of my $attach_list. BOUNDARY='------The Boundary-----' print - "From:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pgop
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to grep the time of the mail received?

Hi all, My question is how can we grep the time of the mail which we receive in our inbox? like if i get a mail tonight at 10 i should be able to grep the time of it tomorrow morning or someother day in 24 hr format.... how can we do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To trigger a mail if the files have been received

Hi All, i have a folder in which we receive 6 files daily. the file name will be appended with date for ex : files that we receive on 1/9/2013 will be like file1_20130108.txt.zip file1_20130108.txt file2_20130108.txt.zip file2_20130108.txt file3_20130108.txt.zip file3_20130108.txt the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahesh300182
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Problems sending mail: Difference between Mail and Mailx?

Whats the difference between mail and mailx? I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem where I can send mail from server A with this `echo $MESSAGE | mail -s "$SUBJECT" -r $FROM $RECIPIENTS` command but executing the same command from server B throws me this error (Both servers are RHEL) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Mailx command running successfully but no mails received.

Hi, I am working on a HP-UX box. Mailx command running successfully but no mails received. Here is what I am doing rocfm@comhp73 - mailx -s "subject" abc@gmail.com < abc.txt Null message body; hope that's ok rocfm@comhp73 - echo $? 0 rocfm@comhp73 - echo "something" | mailx -v -s... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sunayna
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

AT00003.bin attachment is received from mailx command.

Hi Team, I am sending a mail from Linux box as shown below. cat sample.log | mailx -s "Testing" abc.com But instead of receiving the content of sample.log in the mail i got an attachment with name AT00001.bin. After looking into the contents of log file i found that there are some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Girish19
1 Replies
mail(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   mail(1)

NAME
mail, binmail - Sends and displays messages SYNOPSIS
Reading Mail mail [-epq] [-bhr] [-f file] binmail [-epq] [-bhr] [-f file] Sending Mail mail [-d] [-r name] [-h N] user... [< file] binmail [-d] [-r name] [-h N] user... [< file] STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: mail: XCU5.0 binmail: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Reading Mail You can use the following options when invoking the mail command to read mail: Does not display any messages. This option causes mail to return an exit value of 0 (zero) if the user has mail and an exit value of 1 if the user has no mail. Saves mail to and reads mail from file instead of the default mail file, /usr/spool/mail/user. Displays mail without prompting for a disposition code. This option does not delete, copy, or forward any messages. Causes mail to exit when you press the Interrupt key sequence. Normally, pressing the Interrupt key sequence stops only the message being displayed. (In this case, the next message sometimes does not display until you enter the p subcom- mand.) Displays mail in first-in, first-out order. The default is last-in, first-out. Alternate and obsolete form of the -b option. If -r is the first option specified and more arguments follow, send mail mode is assumed. Alternate and obsolete form of the -b option. If -h is the first option specified and more arguments follow, send mail mode is assumed. Sending Mail You can use the following options when invoking the mail command to send mail: Sets the hop count to N. The hop count is incremented every time the mail is processed. When it reaches a limit, the mail is returned with an error message, the victim of an aliasing loop. If you do not specify this option, received lines in the message are counted. Sets the name of the From: user field (that is, the sender of the mail). The -r option can only be used by trusted users (normally root, daemon, and network) or if the person you are trying to become is the same as the person you are. Informs binmail to actually deliver the mail instead of passing it off to the sendmail program for deliv- ery. DESCRIPTION
The mail command writes to standard output all stored mail addressed to your login name, one message at a time, or sends a mail message to another user or users. Another name for the mail command is binmail. Following each message, mail prompts you with a ? question mark. Press <Return> to display the current mail message, or enter one of the subcommands that control the disposition of the message. When sending mail, you specify users, and then mail reads a message from standard input until you press the End-of-File key sequence or enter a line containing only a . (dot). It prefixes this message with the sender's name and the date and time of the message (its postmark) and adds this message to the file /usr/spool/mail/user for each user specified on the command line. Usually, user is a name recognized by the login command. If the system does not recognize one or more of the specified users or if mail is interrupted during input, mail saves messages in the file $HOME/dead.letter to allow for editing and resending. The action of mail can be modified in two ways by manipulating /usr/spool/mail/user: The default permission assignment for other users is read-only. If you change this permission assignment to read/write or to All Permissions Denied, the system preserves the file, even when it is empty, in order to maintain the desired permissions; you will not be able to remove the file. You can edit the file to contain the following as its first line: Forward to person This causes all messages sent to user to be sent to person instead. The Forward to feature is especially useful for sending all of a person's mail to a particular machine in a network environment. To specify a recipient on a remote system, prefix the system name and an ! (exclamation mark) to user. See the uucp command for a detailed discussion of how to address remote systems. Also see mailx and sendmail for other network connections. Tru64 UNIX provides locking for the mailbox files. The style of locking used depends on how it is set in the rc.config.common file. For more information, see the Network Administration manual. Subcommands The following subcommands control message disposition. Displays the next mail message. Displays the previous message. Deletes the cur- rent message and displays the next message. Displays the current message again. Saves the message in file instead of in the default mail file $HOME/mbox. Saves the message, without its postmark, in file instead of in the default mail file, $HOME/mbox. Forwards the current message to users. If the forward was successful, deletes that message and then displays the next message. Writes any mail not yet deleted to /usr/spool/mail/user and exits. Pressing the End-of-File key sequence has the same effect. Exit, leaving the mail file unchanged. Runs the specified command. Displays a subcommand summary. Displays a subcommand summary. NOTES
The mail utility is marked LEGACY in XCU Issue 5. The binmail program is not RFC 822 compliant. This affects messages that begin withlines that look like header lines. Header lines begin with a string followed by a colon (:) (such as those found in the /etc/passwd file). Use mailx command to send such messages, or make sure the message is preceded by a blank line. EXIT STATUS
For information about exit values, see the OPTIONS section. EXAMPLES
To display your mail, enter: mail After the most recent message is displayed, a ? (question mark) indicates that mail is waiting for one of the subcommands explained previously (+, -, d, p, and so on). Enter help or an * (asterisk) to list the subcommands available. If the End-of-File key sequence is <Ctrl-d>, you send mail to other users by entering: mail tom rachel Do not forget the meeting tomorrow at 9:30. <Ctrl- d> In this example, the system mails the message Do not forget the meeting tomorrow at 9:30. to the users tom and rachel. The End-of- File key sequence (in this case, <Ctrl-d>) indicates the end of the message, but it is not sent with the text. To send a file to another user, enter: mail fran < proposal This command sends the contents of the file proposal to fran. To save a message to the default mail file, enter: mail This command displays each message mailed to you. Press <Return> after the ? prompt until the desired message is displayed. When the appropriate message is displayed, enter: s The message is saved in the default mail file, $HOME/mbox. To save a message to a specific file, enter: mail This command displays each message mailed to you. Press <Return> after the ? prompt until the desired message is displayed. When the appropriate message is displayed, enter: s mycopy This command saves the message in a file named mycopy in the current directory, rather than in the default mail file. FILES
Holds saved mail. Holds unmailable text. Contains user information. Holds incoming mail for user. Lock for mail directory. (Note: this file is not created if lockf is used for locking. SEE ALSO
Commands: login(1), mailx(1), sendmail(8), write(1), uucp(1) mail(1)