Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash Scipting (New); Run multiple greps > multiple files Post 302747573 by LDHB2012 on Friday 21st of December 2012 04:12:39 PM
Old 12-21-2012
Bash Scipting (New); Run multiple greps > multiple files

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums, as you can probably tell... I'm also pretty new to scripting and writing any type of code.

I needed to know exactly how I can grep for multiple strings, in files located in one directory, but I need each string to output to a separate file.

So I'd imagine I'd make a separate text file with each string that I want to grep. ex:
Code:
food1
food2
food3

Then i would use a loop function to grep all files in directory /Desktop/Blah/*, and output to a file named "the string i grepped for".

I would greatly appreciate guidance on this, as loops confuse the hell outa me and i'm not sure what "x" means in the following:

Code:
for x in 'cat /Desktop/Blah/*'; grep 'point to strings file' ..........

Where would $x go? Any guidance is helpful. Thanks everyone....

-David

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 12-26-2012 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

when I try to run rm on multiple files I have problem to delete files with space

Hello when I try to run rm on multiple files I have problem to delete files with space. I have this command : find . -name "*.cmd" | xargs \rm -f it doing the work fine but when it comes across files with spaces like : "my foo file.cmd" it refuse to delete it why? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run Multiple Functions over SSH (BASH)

I am trying to write a script that will ssh into a remote machine and recurse through a specified directory, find mp3 files which may be two or three directories deep (think iTunes: music/artist/album/song.mp3), and scp them back to the machine running the script. The script should also maintain... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnnybg00de
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run multiple awk files

I'm trying some thing like this. But not working It worked for bash files Now I want some thing like that along with multiple input files by redirecting their outputs as inputs of next command like below Could you guyz p0lz help me on this #!/usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { } script1a.awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run perl script on files in multiple directories

Hi, I want to run a Perl script on multiple files, with same name ("Data.txt") but in different directories (eg : 2010_06_09_A/Data.txt, 2010_06_09_B/Data.txt). I know how to run this perl script on files in the same directory like: for $i in *.txt do perl myscript.pl $i > $i.new... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run one script on multiple files and print out multiple files.

How can I run the following command on multiple files and print out the corresponding multiple files. perl script.pl genome.gff 1.txt > 1.gff However, there are multiples files of 1.txt, from 1----100.txt Thank you so much. No duplicate posting! Continue here. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: grace_shen
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run one script on multiple files and print out multiple files.

How can I Run one script on multiple files and print out multiple files. FOR EXAMPLE i want to run script.pl on 100 files named 1.txt ....100.txt under same directory and print out corresponding file 1.gff ....100.gff.THANKS (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grace_shen
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run script on multiple files

I have a script that I need to run on one file at a time. Unfortunately using for i in F* or cat F* is not possible. When I run the script using that, it jumbles the files and they are out of order. Here is the script: gawk '{count++; keyword = $1} END { for (k in count) {if (count == 2)... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
18 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run script on multiple files

Hi Guys, I've been having a look around to try and understand how i can do the below however havent come across anything that will work. Basically I have a parser script that I need to run across all files in a certain directory, I can do this one my by one on comand line however I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh to multiple hosts and then run multiple for loops under remote session

Hello, I am trying to login to multiple servers and i have to run multiple loops to gather some details..Could you please help me out. I am specifically facing issues while running for loops. I have to run multiple for loops in else condition. but the below code is giving errors in for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit_vardhani
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Combining multiple greps

I'm trying to learn about regular expressions. Let's say I want to list all the files in /usr/bin beginning with "p", ending with "x", and containing an "a". I know this works:ls | grep ^p | grep x$ | grep abut I'm thinking there must be a way to do it without typing grep three times. Some of my... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xubuntu56
9 Replies
basename(1)							   User Commands						       basename(1)

NAME
basename, dirname - deliver portions of path names SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/basename string [suffix] /usr/xpg4/bin/basename string [suffix] dirname string DESCRIPTION
The basename utility deletes any prefix ending in / and the suffix (if present in string) from string, and prints the result on the stan- dard output. It is normally used inside substitution marks (``) within shell procedures. /usr/bin The suffix is a pattern defined on the expr(1) manual page. /usr/xpg4/bin The suffix is a string with no special significance attached to any of the characters it contains. The dirname utility delivers all but the last level of the path name in string. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Setting environment variables The following example, invoked with the argument /home/sms/personal/mail sets the environment variable NAME to the file named mail and the environment variable MYMAILPATH to the string /home/sms/personal: example% NAME=`basename $HOME/personal/mail` example% MYMAILPATH=`dirname $HOME/personal/mail` Example 2 Compiling a file and moving the output This shell procedure, invoked with the argument /usr/src/bin/cat.c, compiles the named file and moves the output to cat in the current directory: example% cc $1 example% mv a.out `basename $1 .c` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of basename and dirname: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
expr(1), basename(3C), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 18 Mar 1997 basename(1)